Pants In/Out of boots

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Mambo Danny, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    Pants out. I've never had the issue with catching footpegs, and at my base in the Air Force they made it mandatory to tuck the trousers in. I hated how that felt, always.

The few times I did ride off road, I still kept them out, but I probably should have put rubber bands on the outside. Mud and all kinds of junk ended up on my calves by the end of the day.
  2. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    I often wear my Sidi Crossfires now. Usually I ride with Klim in-the-boot pants. Now that it's cold. I'm wearing my Firehose pants. They look funny tucked in the boots, but they won't go over. :rofl
  3. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    always over, I feel like a twat when they're tucked in.

The only possible exception I might allow is a full on leather racing suit.
  4. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Ditto. For same reasons.

For dirt, I am going to pants over boots. Although I still have 3 pairs of pants IN boots MX style pants.

I am VERY cognizant of my laces and pants leg when riding on the street. Had a friend fall into me and we both went down at a light cause he caught his shoelace. He ordered moto specific boots that day. We laughed, all was well.

Barry
  5. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I wrote this on the Killboy thread, but laces got me one day even though I double-knotted them and tucked them into the boots.

My left leg got knocked back and off the peg like I had hit a groundhog at 60 MPH with my foot. I didn't know what had happened until our next stop.

The one thing I just don't get is how you all can stand your pant legs flapping in the 80 MPH winds when doing highway miles. Maybe this thread is already off-base since it leaves speed out of the equation, but I'm sure I could stand pant legs out for 45 MPH and under, but for higher speeds it's just not enjoyable. Maybe some of you guys only ride around town or at paced speeds?
  6. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Out, always out. Both my Motoport and my Vanson trousers cinch up very tightly around the outside of my combat boots, and they keep the laces from coming loose if they were to somehow break or came untied or untucked. If I switch to actual motorcycle or engineer boots, though, I'll reconsider.
  7. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    I dont give a shit which you do. I got some boots that my pants wont fit over, on them I wear them in, others out.
  8. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    The cold numbs it.

I ride mostly highway, hustling (slightly faster then traffic at all times) along. It's never really bugged me. Yeah, it's flapping, but I wear proper fitting jeans, so they don't snap that hard.

Maybe you should give up those JNCOs, or Bell Bottoms, whichever is applicable.
  9. Jac Cambo

Jac Cambo Booze Merchant

Oddometer:
    Commuting, just a helmet, shoes etc. . .

Off road, full armour except a leatt brace.

Motocross pants - in boots.

Enduro pants - outside boots.

I lose skin from time to time, but it's too hot ( and waay too humid) here to be an ATGATT bitch.
  10. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Summer pants in the boots.

Winter/rain pants outside of the boots, but cinched down with the included Velcro straps.

No laces!
  11. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing about these Sidi crossfire boots, trousers inside or out, they're like a blast furnace in the summer!
  12. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe some of us wear pant that don't flap in the wind.

Walter
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i used to do pants in the boots ie mx style with msr goretex pants & goretex adv styled boots. never understood pants over the boots concept until i bought some klim over the boots summer pants. now i have klim traverse ones (goretex) and will never look back at pants in the pants. sure maybe for the track, but for everything else pants outside of the boots.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    msr did make pants in the boots w/ gortex (ISDE pants) years ago.
    seems all goretex and the like are over the boots now.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i haul ass and have never felt my Klim pants flapping around? maybe you're talking cheapy or supper baggy over boots yo-boy/mx ones.
    like this: http://www.extremesupply.com/produc...WBCPNTS.html?gclid=CJKTyIvh6LMCFe5FMgodAAIAJg
    Klim material is heavy duty and includes huge velcro bands to size the bottom of the pant tight around the boot.
    for the $ i think the Klim traverse pants are plenty of goretex tech to mix with any upper system you use street or dirt hot or cold.
    http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/men/pants/4051-660

if you look at all the street/sport touring pants they are all over the boot and we're talking 125+ mph bikes here.
  16. ray h

ray h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flapping pant legs don't bother me the slightest bit, I don't even notice it.
  17. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Zip down legs with a velcro cuff cincher, no flappin'.
  18. PhillipsMetal

PhillipsMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a noob in the attire department, but always wear jeans or riding pants OVER my packer boots.

The packer boots go back many years to my cowboy days. There were two fashion styles for cowboys. Outside the boot for most of us, and inside the boot for those cowboys that used them to hold the back legs of the sheep...:rofl:rofl:rofl
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Usually out if only one layer. Always out if riding in rain. If two layers then inner layer may be tucked in depending on what boots I'm wearing. I have some leather pants that will only go inside boots and I have some pants that flap in the wind and so may get tucked in - depending on what boots I'm wearing.

I guess the answer is "It depends!"
  20. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    my calfs are big enuf I have a hard time finding boots I can get my legs into let alone tuck my pants in

in colder weather, I duct tape the cuff around my boot