Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Just to add another opinion to this discussion, I really like my MRA Xcreen. I too have the clamp on version, but will be permanently attaching it to the stock windscreen. As Peter said, the clamps are VERY heavy (they feel like solid steel :huh) so it adds a lot of weight to the top of the screen. Over rough roads it makes the spoiler really wobble. But the spoiler does such a good job for me in removing the last bit of buffeting, I'll just bolt it directly to the screen (it's made to be used either way, direct bolt on or w/ the optional clamps, your choice). I've just been a chicken re. drilling my screen, but oh well, how bad can I mess it up??? :rofl

-SM
  2. Tex n Bundy

Tex n Bundy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate and thankyou for the welcome. Bundy is a 7y.o. Australian Cattle Dog Stumpy Tail or Smithfield as they are sometimes known as. (ACD Smithfield) She is also a qualified Assistance Dog.
    I will post up some pic's later today after I have taken delivery of the bike. However, if u can enlarge my Avatar u will see Bundy hanging over the front of my 'Busa. If u do Facebook: Tex & Bundy Charity Fundraisers.
    www.texandbundy.com.au

Cheers, Tex.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been testing the Laminar Lip extension most of this week. My conclusion is that it's a small improvement but certainly not as much as I'd hoped for. Given the positions of the adhesive mounts I could only mount it approx. 3/4" above the stock screen. I'd like to make some mounts for it that allowed you to change the angle of it like some of the others.

I'm still trying different screen height positions. I'm currently liking the full down position. I've only had a chance to try it 2 up once and I had it in the 3/4 up position. My wife thought it was an improvement. It did seem to work better with both of us on it than solo, interesting.

[​IMG]

I will leave this on for our trip as I'm tired of messing with the windshield and it's generally acceptable but certainly not where I'd like it yet.

We'll find out how it works over varying conditions very soon.
  4. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Screens are a big PITA for me also. I ran the laminar lip on my K1200GT, thought it was the best, hit cross winds going into Colorada once and I thought it was going to tear the whole thing off before I got past the big winds!

The extra weight was not good in those conditions but it did survive.
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my final handlebar setup. I liked the geometry I got using the Precision Racing anti-shock mounts plus the ROX risers anti-vibe mounts. The problem I had with the PR mounts was there was too much movement of the bars for my tastes and I couldn't get a tight enough clamping on the ROX risers to keep them from occasionally moving.

I found the ROX mounts were the ones really doing the job at reducing the vibes, so I machined a solid set of intermediate riser blocks to match the geometry of the PR mounts and made a couple improvements while I was at it.

This complete geometry setup sets the stock bars approximately 1/2"up and 1/2" back from stock. Of course that's a function of where you set the ROX risers at. One of my goals was to have some adjustment of that final position.

This setup gives a much more solid feeling connection to the handlebars but still cancels out the vibes quite well. You do have to play with the compression nut on the ROX risers to find the best setting for you. It's a coarse thread so as little as 1/4 turn will make a difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my very basic solution to being able to remove the wheels on the road. It's not very elegant, more get 'er done......

[​IMG]

I'd like to work out a lighter solution for the sockets later on.
  7. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what sizes you have there, but don't forget the 13mm to remove the brake calipers.
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those were just a 17mm deep for the rear wheel bolts and 30mm for the front axle nut.

Yes, I need to make sure there's a decent 13mm wrench in there. I hastily put together a tool set last night but it needs refining big time.

I really hope I don't need any tools :D

On another note, does anybody know if the stock sparkplugs are the iridium type?
  9. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    That 30mm socket is much deeper than needed. I turned mine down on the lathe so it's easier to pack.
  10. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion, done! I took off 0.40"

I'm making the wheel alignment studs now from longer 12mm bolts.

I will pick up a 13mm socket for the calipers, it doesn't look like you can get a box end wrench on easily.
  11. Adam R

Adam R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair the other day, early ones yes, later APPARENTLY (12 on?) not.

Did you know you don't need to remove the rear calliper for rear wheel removal and fit by the way?

Cheers
  12. Tex n Bundy

Tex n Bundy n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We picked up our new Stelvio yesterday amongst all the fanfare and the M/C press. I took it back to my mates place in Sydney, in my Van, then unloaded it to his garage. As I can't get a Bagster tank cover for at least 3-4 weeks, I will have to search for some thick contact or Lite Skinz(self adhesive) to put on the tank so Bundy has something she can grip to. I will cut and stick this to the tank tomorrow. Today I took the Stelvio for a quick spin to a bike shop out in the Western suburbs to look over a second hand CBR600 for a friend. Of course, when one has a new bike, most of the time the weather is shite, today was no exception, pissing down all day! I left Bundy at my mates house and went solo. The big girl is no 'Busa but once on her feet she felt light & reasonably nimble & flickable for what she is. She is way over muffled and our importers are waiting on a 3/4 exhaust system coming from Italy, we will fit this when it arrives! I had adjusted the controls before I left however I feel the bars need to come back just a tad, will do that tomorrow. The Stelvio felt surefooted and I had a play with the ABS in the wet, on, off, trying to lock it up in the wet etc. ABS has definitely improved on these big chook chasers since their inception. Coming home in the dark I found that I had a mirror image Heads Up Display on the screen, it will be interesting to see if this is a distraction out on the open road! I put 125 klm's on it today in appalling weather, on Monday I will head home, 600klms away & return on Wednesday to the Importer for her 1st service. We will change over to NGK plug Caps at this service as apparently the stock ones are a pain in the arse.
    First thoughts are that it is very sure footed, gearbox is positive, engine is strong and I am looking forward to pointing the girl North onto some open road. Will let u all know how she performs.!!

Cheers,
    Tex & Bundy
  13. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Uhhhh, ohhhhhhh really? Both of my CARC Guzzies have the brake disk attached to the wheel hub. I suppose if you jack the bike up high enough you could drop the wheel down and clear caliper since there's no flange on the hub to interfere. It's only 2 bolts to remove the caliper though.
  14. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I suppose it's possible but it's sure a lot easier to remove the caliper.
  15. Adam R

Adam R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, no. It's easier to do it caliper in situ. That's why I mentioned it. try it twice, see what you think.
    Mind you, it's hardly saving hours, I agree!
  16. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may have a light switch that is on its way out. :cry Some times when I start the bike up the headlights do not come on. I have a service scheduled for next weekend and will have it looked at. I wish I did not have to go 70 miles to get it serviced. OK I will stop whinning :lol3

Marc
  17. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Try 375 miles one way.:deal
  18. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Erico is closer :dunno
  19. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Beemers and More is better
  20. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer: