Add me to the cracked fuel tank list

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lepoer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. lskbike

lskbike n00b

Oddometer:
    Just took my Jesse bags off my 09 F650GS to take into the dealer tomorrow to leave for service and correction of multiple recalls. Just found my "new" gas tank cracked. This makes number 2 cracked.... I guess I will add that to the list for them to fix.

What a POS!!!!!!!!!!

LSKBike
    Southeastern Indiana
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is just plain strange.... There seems to be no common ground here. Lots of people have chimed in with theories......good ones.... But.... Really strange. I thought the hot desert temps would kill my tank quick.... (`09).....Nothing.
    But to see people on their 3`rd tank..... That`s really bad. First time if/when mine cracks outside of warranty... I`l make a CF tank....in a heartbeat.....Perhaps give it a gallon more....:D:D...:thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Please do!!! I would love to see your fabrication process :D
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    someone in NM needs to go crack your tank... :lol3 I wanna see a carbon tank!! :deal
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    He-He..... I was going to build one for Darth Vador. (SSW DRZ-470).... But have then decided to put it up for sale.......To find a fi bike like a X-challenge...or so... So unless somebody hacks my gs tank..... It might be a while.....:D:D

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder ... if you guys have not participated in the cracked tank poll please vote:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/55931-POLL-Has-your-F650GS-F800GS-twin-gas-tank-cracked
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. johnparjr

johnparjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My second one is now showing signs of cracking and my dealer said to what a couple of month's to have the work done as their is a new new part number in the system and to let the other older number get taken out of inventory before the order a new one.
  10. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, mines been cracked since late 09, I mostly ignore it but I glare at it occasionally. At least it's just the cover and not leaking or it would be down right interesting :)
  11. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Rumor has it that Rev. #3 is in the "pipeline" ... It's just a rumor ...
  12. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a rumor. I posted about it several weeks back. This third revision is already there with a part number. However, there will be no available tanks with this part number until such time as all existing stock is used up.
  13. bodhizafa

bodhizafa How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Woohooo!!!!!! Just checked mine....cracked on both sides. :eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1 Kinda scares me. Chain recall, leaking valve cover, dead battery, cracked tank.....everything has hit me in the last month. After I read it in the Parallel Universe....it happens. :cry
  14. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    :clap Excellent ...
    Max BMW lists this P/N with no note of it being a superceded or superceding part: 16117704798 Do you know the P/N of rev. #3?
  15. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    While they redesign #3, would it be to much to ask, to add a liter or two more gas capacity?
  16. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    That's what is probably cracking these tanks...Us trying to shove another liter or two in there somehow.
  17. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    with my first tank when I would fill up I would have a huge possitive pressure built up in the tank when I opened it up... new tank no more pressure built up...i did have the canister vent reroute done at the same time....:huh
  18. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    My second tank is holding up nicely... no canister. :D
  19. motogaz

motogaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm actually in talks with a dealer to purchase a used F800gs with 1200 miles. I didn't know about the cracked tank issue, so I didn't even look for it yesterday. 2 Questions for ya:

1. Is the crack anything other than cosmetic? Does it leak, does the crack grow....

2. What other issues/recalls should I make sure this bike isn't suffering from?

-2009 F800GS with 1200 miles, yellow, center stand, hand guards, $9000. Warranty is only good until the end of September 2011. Do you think that its a good deal or should I look outside of BMW?

Thanks for helping a nOOb. Let the information set us free! :ear
  20. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, my second replacement tank is on order. Dealer claims it's the latest part #. That'll be 3 tanks total now, including the original one. Hopefully this new one is actually the new part and will not crack.