WTF why cant I make up my mind

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by spencergt66, May 20, 2012.

1. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have a little dilemma.... I love my SE but seams like living in a crowded area it takes forever and lot of freekin miles to get to some dirt :muutt:muutt:muutt My issue I have is the SE will wear on me befor I even get there off road the bike is a beast but with the super tall seat height and the lack of dash/fairing on rod is not too fun... Im on the fence about selling it and getting a 990 Adv my only issue is if I sell it I pry wont find another one around here
  2. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be like Questor (and others ) and have one of each :evil

I am on the other side of the equation - have the 990 ADV and keep wondering if I want the SE as most of my rides on the ADV are around town to pick stuff or to go out to the trails and ride. Very little highway travel as I have other bikes for that.

One of these days I will get a ride on an SE - and will be so screwed!
  3. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    I have an SE and want to keep it and ad an ADV so I don't have to make up my mind :norton

Maybe if I sell my airhead PD :evil
  4. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    I do have a 640 adv but that is not the same.. I like having the long range with the 8 gal tank and the dash/fairing is really nice to go down the freeway but man what a turd :puke1 like a loud fart can sounds like your hauling ass but then you look at the speedo and remember that it aint no vtwin.

One thing I found that was really interesting was that when i sit on a 990R I can put both feet on the ground.. on the SE its one toe I was always under the impression that the R was the same hight:huh
  5. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am guessing that your SE has stiffer springs in the front than a 990 ADV (which I thing are .48 stock). Softer springs - more sag.
  6. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    Im not sure on the spring rate on the SE I do know it has 2 thick spacers ontop of the springs But I do have the preload at almost 0 off road its a beast on the slab its not so great not bad but not stellar
  7. mattc

mattc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, I Love my 990 R but I do wish for some middle ground between its weight and the dirtbikeness of my XR650R. It's either too much of a sport tourer with the 990 or too far to the good riding on the XRR.. I think the SE would fit right in.
  8. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually bought the SE for that reason. It's a ways to the dirt, and trafficy, so rather then haul my dirtbike, buy a bike that kicks ass on road, and still is fun off road. I prefer riding the SE over the Ducati for an hour or two of pavement. Over 100 miles straight, the red bike will make me happier. Of course, I like the tall seat and stiff springs, and the lack of nonsense over the fender on road too. The only downside with riding the SE on the road (imho) is the tires. Oh, and the lights, if it's dark.
  9. max2

max2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never ever ever EVER sell your Super Enduro...I did..and I've been bummed ever since...I've owned over 50+ motorcycles and the 950SE is by far the funnest motorcycle I have ever owned...never ever ever EVER sell it....

I've owned a 950 SE, a 950SM, and a 950 ADV S...Hands down the SE was the most fun. I put a 690 wind screen on it and it helped take some of the air off your chest. The ADV-S wind buffeting would kill me after an hour, so I had to sell it (I tried 5 diffrent wind screens). I have a 690R now, the fun factor is close to the SE, but it lacks the HP and smoothness of the V-Twin on the road.
  10. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spenser, Lets hit a ride here soon and you can ride mine for a comparison..Im very happy with my S
    I don't think its that much of a off road compromise over the SE, but it has the amenities that are necessary for how I use the bike.
  11. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    I would defiantly like to try an ADV 990/950...Daryl we will have to go for a ride need to get some more fork seals though blew my left side out again:huh:huh for the 3rd time going to try a little less oil this next time.

As mentioned before I would hate to sell this thing and then find out oooppppss that was dumb I've looked into a few wind screens and possibly Rally Raid fairing all of these are a lot cheaper then a new bike
  12. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Listen to the wise man. There are certain bikes. I have regretted selling my XLV750R forever...Will they make another SE in the next ten years? Think not. If I sold mine I know I’d regret it and finding another wouldn’t be easy.
    Short list for me is a 690E and an Adv...pos 1200 when its released but I can’t see its going to be better than the current Adv.
    When I toy with the idea of selling the SE, reality for me is a one bike garage...What would I replace it with.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
  13. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    For myself and others the SE is the better touring bike. I'd rather arrive slightly fatigued over beat to crap and deaf from the Adv fairing. We're all different the SE is awesome but if it doesn't turn your crank don't keep it just because it's a rare bike, get something that works for you.
  14. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    I can understand the commuting challenge if you have a short inseam.
    I have the same "issue" when riding steep loose single track.

Sure, a 125cc 2 stroke would be easier...
    But there's something about a 100+ HP dirt bike with 10.5 gallons of fuel on it that just makes me grin stupidly every time.
    Nothing satisfies like wretched excess.

But I would be interested in the 450 Rally... :tb

I love my KTM 950's.
    The Adventure thinks it's a sport bike, and the SE thinks it's a dirt bike, and I won't tell them otherwise.

:D
    Q~
  15. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    I think my biggest issue are the head shake on the Freeway and the wind Just curious if a windscreen/fairing and a steering stabelizer would assist in this
  16. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    I've got a Steering Stabilizer, and a Hyde Racing fairing in the SE and have done 500 mile days without any problems.

In fact last Monday I rode nearly 200 paved miles in a little under three hours.

The ADV offers a little better wind protection and is more stable due to the longer wheel base, but the SE is still very capable the way I have it set up.

Q~
  17. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    I have been looking into the Raid Designs fairing for my bike but I have yet to see one on a SE with the large Safari tank I don't want to drop the coin until I know what I'm going to be getting
  18. eshelton

eshelton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here
  19. el' hefe

el' hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are considering change to the Adv, then it woudl be a good idea to try to ride both the carb'ed 950, and the FI'ed 990. I am in Seattle and I am also willling extend an offer for you to take a spin on my 950; but you are damn sure that I will also be throwing a leg over your SE!:deal

I have the rally raid fairing installed on the bike at the moment, and I also have the cee bailey tall shield that could be swapped if you were intested in checking out the difference in wind buffeting between the two.
  20. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Contact Raid Designs I was under the impression they were or have developed side pieces to fit the Safari.