Pledge polish for helmet visors?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mfp4073, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Pledge on the visor or windscreen

Also, works on some CD scratches and DVDs. Get a dodgy DVD from Netflix? Pledge it (nothing to lose) and clean it carefully, letting the pledge fill in the divots. Gets the DVD working most of the time for me. Wife took your CD out and left it sitting on top of the case, then stacked her CD cases on top scratching yours up nicely? Well, pull your CD out and pledge that thing, then load into your laptop and RIP a copy while it still works.

Pledge - I love it and I don't dust with it. Duh, that is what Swiffers are for! :lol3
  2. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about car windshields?
  3. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"How about car windshields? "

Nope. Pledge is good on plastics... (IMHO anyway) bad on glass.
    Rain-x works ok, but needs frequent re-application.
  4. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The ONLY reason I ever used Plexus is because the cans can be had small to fit in my tank bag.

Recently I found Dollar Store sells small cans for a buck that work just as well. Plexus it is!

Jim :brow
  6. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    the artificial smell of the citrus spray stuff.
    The lemon dissipates quicker than the orange.Lemon is gone very soon, orange smells for a couple days.
    Both (lemon and orange flavors) kill ants and spiders, and wasps ON CONTACT!,,keep yer visor clean, and carry a deadly force against stinging and biting bug bastards!
    Plexus = $12.95 /7oz, spray can
    Pledge= $3.95 /9.7oz, spray can
    YMMV,,
  7. BladeRun

BladeRun Daywalker finally!

Oddometer:
    Now that the secret is out, Pledge will throw a bike graphic on it and charge $15 a can. Then they'll throw a Harley bar & shield on it and charge $25! ;)
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

You forgot the BMW Roundel Propeller thingy for $30 :1drink
  9. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is not fair. The Harley version is only repackaging, so that shot is fair, but the BMW formulation contains whale semen which is quite expensive. It can also be used as a preservative for BMW Rallye jackets
  10. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Well, I am going to pick up a can of Pledge this week, when I tried it before I didn’t like it. It was too hard to get the streaks out on a clear windscreen. Plexus is streak free with a few wipes, one can hardly make a mistake and the screens look like new. :deal
  11. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    OH! I have to try that. I have hit spiders in the shop with all kinds of caustic chemicals, bastards sometimes do not die.

LEMONY DEATH !!!
  12. fuelish

fuelish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Giant Bike Silk. It is a bicycle polish, works good and has no lingering odor(That I can tell). Giant is the brand, they are a bicycle company. About $7 a bottle.
  13. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Good old Pledge...:clap Been around for a long time that for motorcycles. Back in 85 I bought a new K100RS and everytime I picked it up after service the bike smelled lemony. George the salesman used to walk around the customer's bikes and detail them with Pledge.:clap

So for old time's sake I bought some.:D Seems to work just as good as always, now my computer screen smells lemony.Polished my glasses real nice also.:wink:
  14. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found a small can of Plexis is the bottom of my gear bag, must be quite old because the price tag was $5.95. The same size new can in my tankbag had price tag showing $17.95.

Will be going to Pledge when these run out.

:freaky
  15. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pledge in the white can is Protection Plus. It's awesome on bodywork because it leaves a film that bugs and crap won't stick to. Do not use it on your visor because its a bitch to see through. Lemon Pledge is for the visor.
  16. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
  17. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    Works great on leather and vinyl too...and smells good.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I wasn't quite clear enough.in defining what I do. I use the paper towel to soak off the bugs, not wipe off the visor. I use tissues or toilet paper - much softer - to dry the visor either after the paper towel soak or after washing by hand under running water with dish soap. Sometimes I may pat dry with a towel or paper towel, but I don't wipe with either.

The entire point is I do not "rub" anything on the visor other than slghtly watered down soap under any normal circumstances. I squirt on the soap, add some very light water and slather it about with my hand. I let it soak in quite a bit and then slather around more, trying to work off the bugs with the soap soak, not rubbing. That is why I don't use any kind of spray on stuff, you end up rubbing the shield with the bug guts and bodies which can be quite abrasive. As said, I've only bought like 2 shields in 20+ years. No starry effect in bright lights at night either.
  19. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I will tell you I fixed a bad CD using Flitz to rub out the scratches! It really polishes them out. My final wiping was radial versus circumferencial, inside to outside. The CD works fine in the car now. Haven't done it on a DVD, but it should work there too.

Now back to the "how to clean my shield" topic...
  20. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's what happens when you ride CA96 along the Klamath River during the May bug hatch:

[​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of carrying aerosol cans like Plexus or Pledge when I ride due to the size. I fill up one of these small bottles with PlastX and use a small microfiber cloth on my windscreens and helmet shields. Fits in a jacket pocket easily and even one of these small bottles lasts quite a while.

[​IMG]