Airhead Flea Market Thread (closed and archived)

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by apt13, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    You are not supposed to hook a battery charger to electronic items with out also having a battery in the circuit. I'm not an electrical wizard but I have been told this from a reliable source.
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Did he say what effect it has, problems it causes, or maybe that it just doesn't make things work? I would have sent a PM to ask, but I'm probably not the only one who would beneifit from knowing.

Lynn
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I think the fact that I don't know anymore than what I stated should be pretty plain. "I have been told" is the limit of my knowledge. I really thought maybe one of the electrical geniuses could explain it so I was hoping for a little back up. But no, I crawled out on this limb and I can sit here. Since you need some more info for your files I will add, "I have been told this several times by different people."

You might look at the directions that come with with a battery charger. Do they say you can use their product as an electrical source?

I would not use a battery charger as a power source for something like a radio. It might be different with something like a head light but I gave up on this type of electrical experiment when I was 11 years old so I haven't tried that one either.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm telling you that it was a stupid move to try and test the radio with a battery charger but that may just be the case. If you would hook up a battery now you might find out if the radio does or does not still work.

If any body wants to say that they test radios and electrical components with a battery charger all the time then I apologize in advance but I don't think it is done.

Looks like a nice Windjammer you have there, good luck with the sale. Winter time now so maybe somebody can use it.
  4. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    The battery acts as a regulator or like a "heat sink",a "voltage sink" if you will, sort of keeping the highs from too high, and the lows as too low.... battery chargers work like a reflection of what is needed: if it needs a lot, it gives a lot. Without the battery in the circuit, the charger can throw some pretty high voltage.....:evil
  5. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Lynn
  6. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  7. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I need an 18" rim to be laced to a rear GS hub. Just need the rim. The Rim needs to be a 40 hole ... and it doesn't have to be a 'BMW' part. I would like it fairly 'durable' though, and inexpensive would be nice.

What do you have?
  8. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    need a /5 /6 Ignition Switch part # 51-25-1-233-279

Thanks

Niel
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    The part # you give is for a complete lock set for a /6. That is the ignition, seat, fork and 2 keys. But you say you are looking for what?
  10. oldroadie

oldroadie Two wheel addict

Oddometer:
    Fred,
    I have the rear wheel from a /5. Would that work for you? You could part the hub to Brocktoon...
  11. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love it when a plan comes together.
  12. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Neither is available from BMW.
  13. 81twins

81twins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fred... I may have something for you but it is tucked away and I will have to get it out over the weekend. PM me and I will email info and pictures.
  14. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    Hey! Thanks for the effort, I was contacted by an inmate who had that same rim on the shelf ... cause he needed the hub. Thanks though!!

How serendipitous. Fantastic isn't it? This place rocks. :freaky
  15. oldroadie

oldroadie Two wheel addict

Oddometer:
    Looks like we're on our own. Whatcha wanna do?
  16. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the confusion, you are correct that is the number for the set, Price, $79.00. Price for Ign alone is $87.00:eek1

Trying to save 8 bucks:clap
  17. beemerboxer

beemerboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a straight fork stanchion, Don't need the fork legs.
    Any advise on new replacements would help as well.
    Thanks
  18. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    Check out Franks Forks http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
  19. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    My apologies for being repetitive with this request but I still need the following:

1973 r75 /5 LWB

-Headlight lens
    -Headlight reflector
    -Headlight bezel
    These can be h4 or the old style bulb. Doesn't matter at this point.

2 tail light holding screws with the little clips that they screw into on the tail light body. I'm going to poke around ACE some more to see if I can't modify a bigger one, seeing that they're standard hardware...but it would be nice if someone just had a couple lying around.
  20. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something to consider is a Sun rim off a 78-82 CanAm 250, 350, 370 or 400. I'm into restoring these and they all have 40 spoke wheels. The bonus is that they are waaaay wider than any standard rim at 2.75" instead of standard 2.15" dirt size. I don't think I have any good extras, but I'll dig through my pile. I know you can still get them from Buchanan, but their pricey. If I remember the stock rim width is 2.5.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/rims_sun.asp

I've got a GSPD and always thought these would make up a sweet 2nd set of wheels if I had extra hubs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.