National Trail Day at Kelly Canyon = success

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by AZstateParksOHV, Jun 3, 2013.

1. AZstateParksOHV

AZstateParksOHV Banned

Oddometer:
    xxx
  2. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    270 people! wow, that's a great turn out. i wish i could have been there. congrats to all the folks that showed up to help out.

that yellow hard hat looks great!
  3. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    looks more fun than riding trails in.
  4. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    Question=why only 2 miles? :huh is that all you are allowed?
    better than nothing, but......:deal
  5. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    this message is self destructing...
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Its a lotta work building trails properly,especially with the USFS involved.

Gotta start somewhere though.
  7. kbblue

kbblue mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer:
    We have more than 50 miles to build. That happens to be what got done that day. Many more days coming up at which we could use your help! Next trail day is 7/20 in the same area to continue. The forest service guys put in little flags and we follow cutting in the trail with polaski's, shovels, picks, pribars, etc... Then we come back later and "ride it in". Great fun!
  8. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    That's what I wanted to hear!
    Flag was on my list but then they closed more than 50 miles, correct? Monsoon season, hope the lightning stays away....:freaky
  9. kbblue

kbblue mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer:
    The Forest Management Plan, or whatever it was called, closed a lot of trails and fire roads. If you count all the wildcat trail it was a lot more than 50 miles. Flagstaff area was hit hard and the Forest Service and Coconino Trail Riders are doing a great job working together to get back some of what was lost in a responsible way. In the end, I think it will be better then ever. But it's going to take some time and patience. The "airport area" was/is full of old trails and logging roads. Never really designed, just happened. So the Kelly Canyon Project is turning all that into an OHV area from the airport to Munds Park. Some of the well designed and maintainable trail is being retained, some of the unmaintainable and excess trail is being closed, and new trail is being created. The Forest Service is doing an excellent job designing and laying out the trail. I've been very impressed and they're great people to work with. It's gonna be great! Actually already is since as the work progresses it is open and legal riding.