GTA Riders MegaThread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GB, Jan 18, 2005.

1. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Good Morning Ron!

I am starting to get serious about another trip. Baja or the yukon, haven't decided yet. (It could be both.) Vancouver as well. So little time, so many miles....
    Interested?
    It is almost winter here. No snow yet. It was forecasted for last night though.

Jeff
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Yea Jeff, a few of us are thinking about the Yukon in 2006, though I might break the rules slightly, and trailer the bikes to Edson, and ride from there.
    We're still working on that one. Vancouver from your place would be a nice ride, and then up to Whisler, Lilloet, and a loop back maybe?

WE have about 2 feet of snow so far, and the temperatures are dropping fast for this week!
  3. RedRyder

RedRyder Jose Adventurista

Oddometer:
    :eek1 :eek1 :eek1
  4. Sammi

Sammi 1/2 2 ride

Oddometer:
    Howdy.
    I'm new here as well, Sudbury is the spot, new logging roads being built every day. Drop a message if your in the area.:freaky
  5. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Any roads go up to James/Hudson Bay on the Ontario side?
  6. Sammi

Sammi 1/2 2 ride

Oddometer:
    You can't get to "gold coast" from the Ontario side. The pavement ends @ Fraserdale (no town, just a stop sign) about 1 hour north of the trans-canada hwy at Smooth Rock Falls. From Fraserdale dirt roads will get you to Otter Rapids Generating Station, then logging roads might get you another 20 miles( still a long way from James Bay). This isn't the asshole of Ontario but you can see it from here.
    A train (Polar Bear Express) runs from Cochrane to Moosenee(James Bay) which will bring your ride for you but there is very limited riding in Moosenee. Communities beyond this are all fly-in or accessed by winter ice-roads. :vardy

Mosquitos and Black-flies own this area! Pick your times carefully.
  7. Cagiva900gc

Cagiva900gc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tha biggest Cagiva fan in Canada, Toronto
    Sammi

Have you ridden any of those logging roads in Sudbury area?

I am in Toronto area and was thinking a weekend ride to Sudbury, or North Bay and some of those areas would be nice. I enjoy the long trips but don't really have weeks and weeks to spend riding.

Do you have any suggested routes, or GPS waypoints mapped out. I often drive that area for business, and see those "Not a through road" signs, and my GPS shows the road, but I don't know where it goes. On my bike, I know I can probably squeeze through.

Anyway, it would be good if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
  8. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )

Where have you guys been?? There's an Adventure tour held in the Sudbury area Labour day weekend. It uses tons of logging roads for the more adventurous and does a stock tire ride as well. There is a neat thread here with lots of photos. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95008&highlight=Nickel+belt+tour

The guys at Rally Connex put on this ride, last year Scot Harden was there to teach a rally school, odds are that he will be there again this year!! Check out their website for more info. http://www.rallyconnex.com
  9. R-1150-RS

R-1150-RS Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the definitive list Of ONTARIO BIKER ROADS, go to this site: - http://www3.sympatico.ca/elhum/

Lots of great roads listed throughout the province.

Gary
    :) :)
  10. beerjonny

beerjonny Planning mode...

Oddometer:
    Wondering if any of you lads could help me get from the Montreal region (give or take a few hundred kms up or down) to Cornwall via the least paved route??

We are doing our second annual LONG RIDE HOME (longridehome.com) and need to get that portion of the trip off road. Besides that, we have most of the 1800kms from Halifax covered. :ear :evil
  11. Sammi

Sammi 1/2 2 ride

Oddometer:

I have run them all by bike, sled, 4x4, atv. Lots of places to go and see.
    I missed the Nickel Belt Rally last year but from the pictures I've seen I can recognize most of the spots. Crossing the bridge on the Wahnapitae river will surely test your nerve.
    Let me know what kind of riding your looking for and I can reccommend some routes.
    PM me if you like.
    Werner
  12. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some 2 up riding on back roads and maybe come out at a nice B&B...I been to Mattawa on my sled a few times but would like to try some place new.I've also backpacked a lot in Kilarney Park. So I would like to know if there are any good 2 up roads near the park...

Cheers !!!
  13. The Shepherd

The Shepherd Lord of Mondays

Oddometer:
    I live in Barrie, come spring time I'll be heading out on rides to places north, west and east. I don't head south, going towards Toronto is a bad thing.

I'll look you up closer to springtime or add www.blacktopriders.com to your list. It's a board local to Barrie and area, I'm always posting rides on it.

See you out there.
  14. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Well, crap. Just came back from there, was up for a funeral.

Have to look you up next time I'm in the area.
  15. Sammi

Sammi 1/2 2 ride

Oddometer:
    You did say a "nice" place, how about this one http://www.obabika.com/
    Probably the only 5 star resort in Ontario, it's a great ride in and the area is very pictuesque. The lodge is roughly 100Km off Hwy 17 , 60Km of which is gravel. This place is a MUST SEE.

Werner
  16. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    Nice place but i would rather spend the money on shocks...lol but don't tell my girlfriend:zilla :ricky
  17. Sammi

Sammi 1/2 2 ride

Oddometer:
    If you have been into the Town of Killarney then you have hit the end, only short logging roads off either side. Hwy 637 is a great ride into Killarney but it has taken out quite a few riders trying it at WOT.
    The fish and chip stand at the town dock is the best ! :nod
  18. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    Been to that chip stand many times. I think I'll just get in touch with you this summer for more details of Sudbury and the surounding areas.I'll see if I can get "The Shepherd" and "Drif10" to join me for a weekend of back road fun.
  19. Sammi

Sammi 1/2 2 ride

Oddometer:
    Ridemuch
    Let me know when your in the area, always in for a ride.
    I was down in the big smoke this week, just about warm enough for a quick spin.
    We had a foot of snow fall on Sunday-Monday in Sudbury and on the ride down I couldn't believe there was no snow in Toronto.
  20. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Just got home from a ride. :ricky

Another good guy to ride with is Osteo from here. Rides a 950, good people.