Dakar 2013 - Official Event Coverage - thank you ALL TeamF5, lurkers and posters!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 1, 2013.

1. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice interview with David Reeve - and also nice to see the guy Pal Anders helped pushing the emergency button after breaking his leg :clap

This also shows the adaptations in riding style the elite MX and Enduro-guys have to do to prevail in Dakar. Excellent interviev - or monologue :1drink
  2. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :shog
    :shog You mean I have to read as well??? I just look at the pictures:lol3
  3. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Time to let this beast float. :beer
  4. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wO_MYX_Oto0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good interview! I felt like he spoke well about many of the feelings I had, and when he said he'd go back, I believed him.

Clearly an amazing rider, just went to his rider page and he had some very consistent good finishes!
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Pigeon mod.
  7. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Rod conquers Dakar Rally

[​IMG]

It’s a long way from mustering sheep and cattle in Queensland’s outback to conquering the world’s most challenging motorbike desert race.

. . .

Less than 20 Australians have ever finished the 8000km Dakar rally in its 34-year history.

. . .

“I do the Finke desert race and the Australian Safari over here, which are the best we’ve got to prepare ourselves but things like dune riding in Peru are totally different to anything that’s available in Australia,” he said.

. . .

On another stage a crash resulted in his Camelbak springing a leak and a bout of dehydration after riding for a few hundred kilometres without water.

“I was getting hazy and it was affecting my vision but I just tried to take it easy,” Rod said.

full story here
  8. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My F5 T-shirt from Mr Hayduke turned up this morning :clap
  9. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A great, honest interview. He had some great support from family and friends. The fact that he's got a farm to get back to. I wish him well... I hope he gets his chance to go back.

More from the Faggoter interview:

Coming back to Longreach and work &#8211; he&#8217;s a qualified motor mechanic and owns the Centretune Motorcycles business &#8211; has almost been an anticlimax. &#8220;I was back to work straight away, dealing with the backlog,&#8221; he said.

And after reading this, I wonder if maybe there were another way to help support riders: An work exchange program. :scratch

While a person couldn't replace a competitor's knowledge or skill, (don't think many could do Pyndon's job, period) I wonder if in some cases a person could spend 2-3 weeks (dude ranch style?) filling in for a rider while they're on the Dakar. It certainly wouldn't work in every situation, but might be a way to ease some stress or an absent body for the self employed ones...

Just a thought. :D
  10. ericrat

ericrat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know you miss it! I found about 15minutes of snooker in a VLC file laying around. If you are having snooker withdrawl, PM me for a link.

Eric
  11. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :poser
  12. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    Posting this here because you guys are really into this stuff and might open my eyes past what I can see.

Lets just say someone asked you this question,"Name the top five best American riders who would have a chance at winning Dakar in the next three years given the right opportunity?"

Rider must be American.
    Rider should be capable of winning after a year of learning.
    Does not matter who or what the rider is currently doing or riding.

Anyone want to list off five names?

JIMMY
  13. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll play...

Kurt Caselli
    Colton Udall
    Taylor Roberts
    Russell Bobbit
    Nick Fahringer
  14. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure just a single year of learning about rally is enough to put someone in a position to win Dakar, unless that whole year was spent doing rally events. I think it would take a bit more than that to get to the TOP with navigation and multi-day rally events. Given that Quinn Cody already has navigation and Dakar experience, and he's fast, I'd have him on the list.
  15. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, somehow forgot all about about Quinn. Definitely got to be on the list...
  16. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm as interested in the question as the motives behind it. What are you cooking up J Lewis? :ear
  17. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto That.
  18. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    It is just a question. There may be more to it but speculation just starts rumors and there are no good ones I know of.
    Well, I do know a lot of stuff but I'm sure you guys have torn it to shreds in the past 40 pages already.
  19. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Kurt
    Quinn
    Jonah (yeah I know he's retired but IIRC, in his resignation letter he was crystal clear that one of the main reasons for him pulling out was the lack of top-notch factory logistics, support & machinery)

I can't think of two other names that can achieve victory in just 3 years, no matter how talented they are at other racing disciplines.
  20. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think (in order): Caselli, Cambell, Udall. I'd add Street to the list too-in front of Caselli-but retirement is in the way.