F800GS oil change

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by thelouv, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    So why can't I use 10w-40 CAR oil?

and when will a decent person put up some pics :lol3 (just kidding :eek:)
  2. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Use any oil that meets the spec in your owners manual. I've used "car" oil in all my bikes for years. Wet clutch and dry and I've never had a problem except I've saved a crap load of money. But many will tell you that if there isn't a picture of a motorcycle on it and it doesn't cost twice as much you will die in a fiery engine explosion...

3. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Rotella in all my motorcycles and atv. It is a diesel oil, which generally holds up better on schear forces, plus it is motorcycle certified.
  4. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    and If I don't? :huh
  5. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    ... then your engine will probably sell destruct and require a rebuild after only 25k. :rofl
  6. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 Reasons, it makes it easier to remove the next time and prevents O-ring failure. The o ring will be dry and "could" freeze to the surrounding metal. It can cause the o-ring to stick to the filter or engine case and make it a lot harder to remove the filter the next time. I had a friend have this happen to his boat. Once he finally got the filter off (which was apparently a PITA), he didn't check for the old o-ring. It was stuck up on the engine where he couldn't see. He put a new filter on with a new o-ring, which then resulted in the new o-ring AND the old (or whatever was left of the old) o-ring being between the filter and engine. Ended up blowing out one of the o-rings, lost all the oil and seized the engine.

Regardless of the engine type, I've always checked to make sure the entire old o-ring comes out and that the new one goes on correctly and is lubricated with oil. Its probably just going the extra mile and won't always cause failures, but not a lot of extra work.
  7. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At risk of putting words in his mouth, I think he was asking what happens if he doesn't use NEW oil like Flashdog suggested. The OLD oil works fine for lubing the O-ring. If the oil coming out of your engine isn't good enough to lube the O-ring, it should have been changed LONG ago.
  8. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Maybe subconsciously I just wanted to share my own 2nd hand horror story. :smile6
  9. johnparjr

johnparjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil change whats that? My dealer does oil changes for $39 so I don't bother to do it myself anymore
  10. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong I do it every time...... just never bothered with coating it in new oil.... working at a dealership I've had days where I'll do a dozen oil changes in one day and the process involves draining the oil. new filter and then grab the jug of new oil before filling the bike. So old oil is just fine to coat the new filter ring
  11. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should do the same, I did it my myself and it cost me about $45 (3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic motorcycle oil at 10 bucks each + 1 BMW oil filter at 13 bucks each + sale taxes)
  12. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm sure its fine. Whichever is easier to reach. Actually, I think I use new oil because old habits die hard from working on cars. But I once lost a quart of new oil cause I opened it to coat the o ring, set the quart down without putting the lid back on, put the filter back on the engine and promptly knocked over the quart of new oil. Wouldn't have happened if I had used old oil on the filter and opened up the new quart when I was putting it in the engine. That or put the lid back on. :puke1
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    And on top of the $39 you spend for watching the tech watch the oil drip out of your bike, what does he charge you for the filter and the oil?
    Or does that price include the filter and the oil?
  14. johnparjr

johnparjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Complete oil change out the door is about $46 with tax and disposal fee A&S BMW will also do other manufacturers bikes for that price too I have them do my wifes ninja 650 you just cant beat the price.:clap
  15. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    A&S offer an online parts fiche,too, don't they?
    Helluva good dealer you have there, you are a lucky man.
  16. Flashdog

Flashdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could pick up a little crud from around the hole (leave it alone!) and that may interfere with a good seal.