Mitas Tyres

Discussion in 'OZ Vendors & Flea Market' started by Beet, May 21, 2011.

1. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    welcome
  2. jimkat

jimkat jim

Oddometer:
    Whats going on in the pockets of those pants?:ymca
  3. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like it's probably a good thing, I've had a couple of "interesting" moments where a Mitas tyre has spun out while overtaking a cage. With other tyres the front wheel lifts up instead (which usually doesn't go so well either, unexpected wheelstand while turning == bad :eek1).

How do we know which one we're buying? I just had a look at mine and don't see any dates on the sidewall.

Up here in Cairns we're lucky to find Mitas tyres at all, so I'm sure they take a while to go through their stock.
  4. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    All tyres have a date code, generally in an oblong circle
    Code is split into weeks and the year, therefore, this old Heidenau K60 was made in the 24 th week of 2006
  5. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    you are absolutely right ...

Your "moments" are caused by a characteristic mixed from age and highly wear resistant tread compound.

Changes are done .....for more safety ... a bit less mileage.

Give your importer( and distributor) the chance to order a new stock and ask directly for newest production.

@sidetrack bob
    thx...
    couldn´t explain it better ...
  6. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    @Mitas. Still loveing the non Dakar E09s - keep them coming please.
  7. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was there a compound change in the E-09s over the last couple of years?

I had one do 7000kms of commuting and trail riding, and I had another that was just as worn after only 3000kms of dirt roads and trail riding.

Same pressures, I had some camping gear with me on the 3000km trip, but nothing really heavy.

I like the way they handle on clay based gravel fire trails and similar, but the different wear rates put me off.

The C-02 Stoneking skates around too much in the same conditions. I've used 4 of them. About 4000kms before they square off to the point they become a little hairy to ride on tar.

The E-09 front I don't like. It just doesn't hook up on the dirt, and it saw tooths badly on the off centre knobs on the tar. Even at higher pressures. I lost track of how many kms it did, but it would be around the 8000km mark.

I switched to E-09 rear and a Dunlop D952 front for a while. A really good combo. I get the same kms out of the Dunlop, but it hooks up better under brakes when worn out than the E-09 did new.

Is the E-09 going to be available in a 150/70-17?

Edit - E-09 rear tyres both had what looks like a batch stamp of 3308.
  8. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    @rucksta .. there is no reason to kick him off the programm ...:D

@snowy... it´s not easy to guess why you had this different kind of wear.
    Maybe there was a production failure ( wrong compound handling )

The Stoneking (C-02) was originally made for leisure Motocross ... He needs to spin and to slide to follow a good line.
    Tar is not a good option for the C-02... The compound is still f**** hard ...

There are a lot more of our Cross tires combos which are also approved in acc to DOT ( C-20/21 hard terrain ... C-18/19 semi hard .... C-15/ C-16 soft terrain )

The E-09 front construction ´till the end of 2010 was shown this kind of problems
    your characterized. Thats why the changes were made...

both, Dakar and Non Dakar ,will be produced in the mentioned sizes ( 150/70-17 ) from September / October this year.
  9. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Hey Mitas. :wave

I too have used the E09 on the rear of the DR650 and found them brilliant for wear and traction. We were able to buy them direct from the distributor but since this policy has changed, Dunlop 606's have become a viable alternative.

I did purchase an E09 front once, but after seeing it in the flesh, I knew that the knobs weren't going to be aggressive enough for me and sold it to an inmate.

I would run an E09 on the rear of the 700 Transalp, but as you know, wet weather wasn't it's friend...but if compounds have changed, I would love to try one next time.

The E07 on the rear of the Transalp at the moment wears well but is a bit too squarish for cornering on sealed roads. I find the front is very good for it's intended use, but unfortunately, not aggressive enough for any serious dirt roads imo.

Which brings me to this...there is no decent front tyre available for front 19" rims from any tyre manufacturer at the moment.

And when I say decent, I mean something along the lines of the Dunlop 952 or the Michelin HP4...something which wears reasonably well and has good size knobs.

I hope you don't mind me airing my opinions, and I look forward to trying the new 19" front knobbly when it's ready :lol3
  10. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    we are not going to tell "Heidi-stories" ... :rofl... it is ready ..

New compound means new character.

I appreciate your opinion.
    Did you tried the E-10 ? :ear ( more suitable 4 tar)
  11. snayle

snayle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MITAS thanks for the pm

I cant wait for the the new E07's to become available

I will be ordering 2 sets as soon as they are ready :clap:clap:clap

cheers Snayle
  12. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    No, I haven't tried the E10 yet but will look into them:thumb

Am going to the Mitas site now...:wave
  13. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    @snayle ... you´re welcome

@BigWilly ... for more informations use
    mitas.cz
    mityre.com.au

or follow my signature
  14. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Hey Mitas.. I have been to outback Australia on my E07 shod KLR. They wear well and I really like them... but... the centre circumferential "bar" means they are worn out before the side treads wear down.

Any reason for this bar?
  15. lout

lout AYCIC

Oddometer:
    I've run the E-10s on my 650. they are at least as good as tkc's and now the 21" front is here I'll run them on the 800.

Like any knobby in the wet you have to be smooth.

[​IMG]
  16. BROTOWNBOY

BROTOWNBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've an E10 on the hp2 at the moment and it's rooted after about 1500ks. Obviously had far better mileage with the E08 rear, but even the E09 lasted a lot longer on the rear. No more E10s for me thanks :puke1
  17. jimkat

jimkat jim

Oddometer:
    +1 Willy.
    I bought all my tyres online from the distributer until they changed there policy.
    I then asked my prefered bike shop to get me 2 EO9s. He said fock off.
    I then went to the bike shop that is listed on the web page and he said
    " we don't sell any of those tyres but when we get another order we will get them for you" Shit hot, 6 months and still waiting.
    So guess what? I got 2 DUNLOP D606s and will get them again next time.
  18. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    Which inflation pressure was on ?
    How many k´s did the tyre ?

which tyre was mounted before ?
    I heard about other mileage on the HP2 .
    ( as well I saw a TKC 80 which was ( totally ) destroyed after 1200km on a HP2 ... in acc to this the E-10 is much better )

It would be easier to compare when I know what was mounted be4 ... and which tracks you use.

@jimkat ...
    *note* ... bad business methods...
    which have nothing to do with the tire brand
    but perhaps with (our) terms.
    I need to check it.

( pls give me also an PN about the changed policy)

Anyway ... I thank you for your postings and opinions ... That gives us the opportunity to react
  19. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    And thank you for coming in and answering all our questions. It's great to hear from someone who really knows what they're talking about.

I love your C-02's. They're pretty cheap, they last forever, they grip great in the dirt and get the job done on sealed roads when I'm too lazy to swap them off (I've done plenty of canyon carving on C-02's, since that's part of my commute... even on those tyres I'm still faster than half the street bikes out there :wink:)
  20. RoadBandit

RoadBandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :clap