Dr Frankenstien gets his hands on a transit bus.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by natedog39, Jun 27, 2010.

1. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    I like the propotions now much better than before and am still glad I modified it the 2nd time.

Unless I can put it to good use and justify keeping it it will probably get rid of it eventually.

One thing it will do better than the Kenworth is going to riding events when not taking the camper along.
    I used it several times this summer going to MX races and it worked awesome, and the double doors provide easy access to the inside.

For that reason and all the work I put into it I'd like to keep it.
    Also, if not required to pull heavy weight it could pull 3.31 gears with the 5.9 under the hood, improving it's cruise speed dramatically.

On the other hand if I got rid of it I could add a 2013 XC 350 to my fleet and keep the Berg.

One way or another it's not going anywhere soon, unless I get an offer I can't refuse.:wink:
  2. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    The Karma is strong in this one! :norton

Great grab!
  3. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    so you could shorten it by 10', put a 10" box/garage and still have 4' for a hitch deck..., wow that thing is looooong.

Are there front axle weight concerns when empty on a truck like that?
  4. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

[​IMG]
  5. natedog39

Oddometer:
    This one has a 12,000 lb front axle and a 21,000 lb rear axle so weight isn't a concern for my purposes anyway.:deal
    I forgot to mention this thing has a condo sleeper, which includes a fridge ,microwave,a spot for a TV ,power inverter and a double bunk too.
  6. natedog39

Oddometer:
    How about a trailer like this.

[​IMG]

Built with this in mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Daniii

Daniii geezer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is WOW.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. That's a serious piece of art-deco that really captures my heart. I'd love to have it....along with the bankroll to maintain and use it.
  9. natedog39

Oddometer:
    That's the Curtis Vagabond, only a few were built.

There was a story on them in a camper mag a few years ago, very interesting.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turns out that's a '38 Curtiss Aerocar, nicknamed "Vagabond". The tractor is a '38 REO. I didn't find any production numbers for that actual model, but, did find that they only made a couple hundred campers, in the company's lifetime. Looking at the time period, lack of technology, and complexity of what they did build, I'm surprised they even built that many.
  11. natedog39

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, I knew it was something to that effect.
  12. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    They have an example of a Curtiss trailer being pulled by a woody at the Glen Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport NY. He even patented a 5th wheel hitch using a car tire and rim to cushion the hitch connection between the car and trailer.
    Looking forward to seeing what happens to your new truck.
  13. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    That shot is taken in the parking lot at the Petersen Automotive Museum. An interesting bit of history. I'll get the details the next time I'm down there.

jdg
  14. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I hate to get so far off the original subject, but the roof lines of that truck look just like an upside down boat. I always thought that an old boat hull flipped like that would make for a good aerodynamic clamshell type bike hauler. I'm sure it would look quite hillbilly but it wouldn't create such a huge sucking vortex like most trailers do. Lower towing MPGs should be marginal.
  15. natedog39

Oddometer:
    Which truck, the REO?

I've been fascinated with the Areocar ever since I first laid eyes on the photos so talk it up all you want.
  16. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    Yes, I meant the REO. I wish I could find the link to an older NASA study where they used a 70's era Econoline to try different body shapes. The shape of that REO is pretty much was what they came up with for the best truck aerodynamics.
    That shape with a really rounded front would make the perfect trailer or truck shape. I bet towing a light one could even up the MPGs of a regular motorhome.
    Thanks for encouraging the thread highjack. If anyone here could do something like that it would be you.
  17. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remeber a few details about that. The trailer has a helper engine to help push the rig over the hills. I have no idea how they ever got it to work in the day.

I saw it in the same place, Peterson in LA many years ago.
  18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    "This ultra-streamline Reo tractor was specially built to tow a Curtiss Aerocar, on of the earliest production fifth-wheel trailers. Custom built for Dr. Hubert Eaton of the Forest Lawn Memorial Parks, its innovative cab-forward aluminium and leatherette body was constructed by Standard Carriage Works of Low Angeles, a coachbuilder that specialized in bodies for trucks and other commercial vehicles. It featured a large storage area, sleeping quarters for the driver, and a separate four-cylinder engine for auxiliary power. A Williams air-brake an dual rear-wheels accommodate the permanently attached 10,000 pound trailer. First equipped with a flat-12 White truck engine, the Reo tractor was fitted with a 300-horsepower Cummins 6-cylinder diesel in 1953 when the original engine wore out after more than 250,000 miles of use.

The luxurious and expensive Aerocar trailer was built by Curtiss of Coral Gables, Florida, a firm also known for motorcycles and pioneering aircraft. Nicknamed "Vagabond" by Dr. Eaton, it was outfitted for hunting excursions and to transport company executives on trips to inspect various real-estate holdings. Special features include a self-contained restroom and kitchen, comfortable seating for eight, cup holders, and an observation deck equipped with a speedometer, compass, and intercom for communication with the driver. Though currently set up for day travel, the interior can be modified to sleep up to six passengers. The dramatically styled rig was in regular use until retired by Forest Lawn Memorial Parks in 1991 – Peterson Automotive Museum."
  19. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    WOW...it amazes me that they were still using such a rare and collectable vehicle up into the 90's! :eek1
  20. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    been web searching for some examples of the motorcycles from that company with no luck. has anyone else tried? curious what designs they had going on. plenty of plane examples.