Sold my GSA and am back on a KLR !!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GAS GUY, Sep 23, 2012.

1. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    /threadjack/
    May I suggest you buy one once in a while, and help make sure B&N are here next year?

It's good to support stuff you like ;-} /threadjack?
  2. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    100% correct! We do support B&N in other ways. My GF bought a Nook there
    last Xmas and I DO buy a mag once in a while. Just can't buy the UK ones every month. There are five UK mags at least ... I also buy the Dual Sport magazine every month. But now .. I subscribe to it. This particular store is in Corte Madera, CA, rather affluent neighborhood. No worries they'll go under.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I put some reflective stickers on the Caribou cases tonight.

[​IMG]
  4. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    I had an "incident" a few seasons ago with a left turner on a rural road....we can not be visible enough:deal
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    While I knew I wanted to run the LV muffler, I was not 100% sure it would fit with the Caribou case side racks on my 2008.No one could say for sure.The owner of Caribou said he thought it would fit, since they changed the rear cross bar for the 2008, but it would not fit Gen 1 with the Caribou racks.So I ordered it and hoped for the best.

[​IMG]

After quickly checking fitment I determined it will definatly work with a few tiny issues.

One little area of the rack protrudes out and is only about 1/16 away from the muffler body, but the metal on the rack can be ground there for clearance no problem, it is just excess and not structural.

Also, the hardware isnt quite right, but nothing a run up to the hardware store won't fix.
    Just the wrong size and length on the front bolt.

This muffler kit is very very impressive.

The fit and finish and total build quality is amazing.And the completeness of everything supplied is nice with the multiple end pipes and spark arrestor and even a spring puller and exhaust plug for washing the bike.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Here you can see how close it is.I marked the corner where I am going to grind it off a little.

[​IMG]
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  8. Simple.

Simple. I'm Special

Oddometer:
    Great looking exh system! I may have to replace the FMF pipe with that next year. The FMF did not fit with my wolfman side racks, and I had to do some similar grinding where my racks go over the muffler. Ive got mine just about all buttoned up for this summer with exception to the rear shock. I still am deciding on what route to take. aside from the shock, all thats left is the thermobob. I redid the front end with new springs, oil, and emulators. Added some LED aux lights from Mondomotos.com ... these lights are amazing for the cost, and he is local!, also added a dished corbin seat, new skid plate, tool tube, t63 tires, galfer brake line, doohickey and torsion spring, subframe bolt kit, fork brace, fuzeblock, and a bunch of other small goodies. Cant wait for the weather to break around here. We're getting close!

Keep up the good work!

Jon
  9. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I just installed a LV on my 99.
    Well my friend installed it.
    The bike is at his house. LOL
    Love it.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Spring is finally here, so I got the Klr out for a short shake down run today.
    Tommorow I am going to try and get more miles on so I will report then on how all the mods are working.
    I wasn't sure if I wanted tool tubes or not but decided to make a set and try them out.
    They are 3" & 2" abs plastic.
    [​IMG]
    I have a gas can strapped to the rack because I am trying to figure out how far I can go on reserve with the massive 10 gallon Ims tank and also make sure the transfer pump is working.
  11. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Jeeez! 10 gallons! Wow!
    But actually very wise to "run her dry" ... too few riders do not do this and in the end don't really know the tank range and have NO IDEA how far they can go on "Reserve". To me, this is critical. Riding out in the boondocks in Mexico I positively must know my true range.

Bike is looking really nice! I would go easy on Tool Tubes. On my DR I had a tool tube mounted and it screwed up the handling off road. I got rid of it in the end. A careful EDIT of your tool kit may be required.

[​IMG]
    I've taken some tools out and moved others around, some in luggage or tail pack and here you see two of my 3 tire irons stashed between skid plate and motor.
    I now use the smallish stock Suzuki tool tube. Not ideal but gets the job done. (about 85% of my tools fit in there!)
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The weather cooperated again today and I got out for about a 200 mile ride down to Ohio.
    After only 36 miles on reserve I ran out of gas, so I pulled over and put about 1 gallon in and then rode a couple miles to the gas station and put a tad over 7 more gallons in for a total of about 8 gallons.
    So, as it stands now I have a 10 gallon tank with a usable 8 gallons.
    I'm thinking the transfer pump must be bad, or it can't keep up at the end and is a design flaw.I will have to contact Ims and see what they say.
    For those not familiar with this tank, it has a vacuum pump inside the tank that picks up fuel from the bottom of the tank on each side and pumps it up to the petcock area.
    Either way, I guess I can live with 8 usable gallons but would rather have 10.

Other than that, the bike was great today.
    100 miles today was on the freeway with a pretty good headwind and I had the Caribou side cases mounted running 70-80 true gps mph, and with the 705 and 16 tooth sprocket and vibranators with pro tapers and the Anakee 2 tires the vibrations were very tolerable.
    The Corbin flat seat with a Alaskan leather sheepskin is perfection to me, and I can sit forward, in the middle or toward the back of it and am comfortable in all positions.
    I can say the ergonomics are pretty much perfect.

The heated gerbings jacket liner and heated grips worked great also and it was nice monitoring the voltmeter and knowing if I exceed requirements.
    I ran with the headlight off, so I had plenty of juice, but while tooling down the freeway I turned on the 35 watt hid low beam and my voltmeter still read acceptable.

I am very happy with the Leo Vince muffler and I don't think I would consider running any other brand.
    Right now I am running it as delivered with the longer, quieter baffle in it, but I am not running the spark arrestor screen right now, and it has a nice sound and small bark but is not overly loud.And you can tell it flows nice, as performance is good.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Advgrifter,
    You can see the red caps on the tool tubes mounted up high on the front of the skid plate in that last picture.
    They are mounted up pretty high and should not affect the bike off road.
  14. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    I would guess that placement of transfer hoses matter in this. Getting it to lowest point makes sense. I'm sure you will figure this out. :thumb

A riding buddy with a Safari tank rarely fill up with more than 5 gallons ... even though I think the Safari holds 8. Extra weight.

I'm skepitical. I would do an ON and OFF ... back to back test riding off road carrying a load. With my DR650, I found out the hard way ... here ... the downhill on the other side was much steeper. :eek1
    [​IMG]
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Today I went out to the garage to diagnose the fuel pump issue.
    Here is the culprit.
    [​IMG]
    I have a good vacuum signal going in from the engine but the inlet pickup side of the pump had nothing so the diaphram in the pump body is not working.
    I even checked it with an automotive vacuum gauge instead of just my thumb.
    I will have to contact IMS tomorrow and see if they will warranty the pump or I will have to buy one.I hope this isn't going to be a regular happening.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Here is the pump disassembled.I expected to see some debris or something in it but it was totaly clean.The clear circle in the center is a clear diaphram pump made out of a celophane like material.
    [​IMG]
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    These are the two lines that go down to end the bottom of each side of the tank and then tee together before going into a filter and then the pump.
    [​IMG]
  18. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think the minute one of the tubes start sucking air, the vacuum is lost for both sides of the tank?
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Probably so, but the end of each tube goes to the very bottom of each side and is held there with a brass bolt with a hole in it that allows fuel into the tube so by the time one side sucks air the other should be very close to empty.

While testing, I isolated that possibility by disconnecting those lines and hooking a vacuum gauge to that side while running the bike and no vacuum was present even though I had a good vacuum on the engine vacuum side of the pump.
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are correct that it could be the diaphragm. But it could be a flapper valve.

If either valve is not working -- either not sealing or not opening -- the pump would show the symptom you describe: no vacuum on the inlet side. The pump could be simply "breathing" through one side or it could be stuck and acting as an air shock absorber.

Please excuse a post full of speculation.