new to dirt?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by hardtarge, Mar 30, 2014.

1. hardtarge

hardtarge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have new klr waiting at the dealer.

so yes new to dirt. I'd like to get to atv trails this summer

what is the first piece of gear to get? I have enough street stuff but nothing specific for dirt
  2. crowe2815

crowe2815 kenoath

Oddometer:
    A milk crate.
  3. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Boots. Real ones.

Also, if you plan to wear your street helmet offroad you will get hot (when moving slow and working hard offroad) you will at least need some glasses to protect your eyes when the shield is lifted or better yet a dirt helmet w/ goggles.

That's a sort of large bike to learn offroad riding technique, so seek out some formal training if you can find any in your area but above all else take it slow, keep a good attitude.

When the dealer hands you the keys just walk over to the bike and kick it over onto it's side in the parking lot. Having those first scratches out of the way will take a lot of worry off your mind offroad.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Helmet.

Offroad boots.

Armored gloves.

Chest/Back protection, preferably with kidney belt.

Elbow/Forearm armor.

Knee/Shin armor.

Shoulder armor.

Hip/Coccyx armor.

Neck brace.

Some of your street gear may be fine for this. Some of the jackets and pants out there may include this too, but typically the dedicated armor will not slip out of place as much as a jacket or pants will.
  5. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Do you really wear all of that? :huh I didn't wear that much racing.:lol3
  6. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    As a former KLR owner this made me laugh a little too hard.

First piece of gear I would is MX boots. I cringe every time I see someone off road without them. (I have literally been pinned under my KLR by the ankle before with 0 chance of escape and came away completely unharmed due to MX boots. Thank God I was riding with others or coyotes would have eaten me)

That being said, before even venturing off road I would obtain a copy of this DVD set first: http://www.dualsportriding.com/

Good luck man, and enjoy that KLR. They are truly awesome bikes...as long as you can put up with a little ribbing from time to time from the "real dirt bike" crowd.
  7. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    I wear all of that minus the neck brace
    (I also wear knee braces, Astrisks, because it's better to prevent an knee injury than to recover from one).
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't race. I commute, tour, roadtrip, and ride dirt.

That was also just a list that I would pick in order of buying. The OP asked what to get first.

Just because you don't gear up as much as others, does it mean that you should belittle what they wear that you don't?

Do you wear any safety gear? Why? A lot of people wear almost none whatsoever and they're still fine.
  9. hardtarge

hardtarge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :-)

I hear the center stand milk crate

Boots . . . Any suggestions dual purpose. Canada is 300 miles away ehh

Spent the last hour looking at leatts neck braces. They make since
  10. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    The milk crate goes on the rear rack on a KLR.:deal
  11. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    A riding partner with dirt experience. Unless you just like the thought of wondering how long it will be before someone just happens to come along to help get your bike off of you.
  12. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Proper boots, elbow/knee armor.

The buddy who knows what he is doing is a really good idea.

Im not saying this to disuade you, but the KLR is a pretty big heavy bike for offroad. Is very capable with a skilled rider but not the easiest to learn on. Use good knobbies. The street oriented dualsport tire will be fine on dirt roads, but anything more and they will punish you as a newbie. And the weight of the KLR will already punish you when you make a mistake. Dont add to your misery if you dont have to.
    A friend joined our dualsport/offroad group. He showed up on a KLR. He quickly bought a KTM450 after that first painful exhausting ride.

Not trying to sound like a jerk. I honestly like the KLR, its just a big bike in the dirt for a newb.

But dirt riding is the best. Have fun!
  13. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Don't forget knobby tires!
  14. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    :photog

i havent laughed that hard in a month
  15. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    if you really want to learn how to ride in the dirt, find someone that will lend you a small bike like a 150 or 200 4 stroke to learn on.
    The KLR might not seem that heavy on the dealership floor but believe me when I say the moment you touch the dirt, that thing is plenty heavy.... and find a couple good riders that will let you tag along. You wont improve off road faster than riding with better riders than you.

as far as gear; MX boots, ballistic jersey (like the six six one pressure suit) and knee armor at the bare minimum.
  16. Existence_Inc

Existence_Inc The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Good, well ventilated helmet, jacket, and pants, armoured boots, armored gloves. Then procure some good crash protection for the bike: enough to keep it ride-able in case of a get-off (collapsible pegs, and hand/foot levers are a good start). A mentor is good advice, not only for learning new skills, but finding places to ride.

Don't sweat bike size and weight, buddy. I had my first "off-road" riding experience with my 3 month old GS-W. Ride within your comfort level, be smart, have fun. :freaky

~Ex
  17. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah , you'll NEVER be any good offroad , but there's still Starbucks.:lol3
  18. Existence_Inc

Oddometer:
    A boy can dream! :rofl

~Ex
  19. eatpasta

Oddometer:

fyi, the second you start thinking you're cool on a GS while off-road, it spits you off
  20. Existence_Inc

Oddometer:
    I never thought I was cool at all, and I expected to drop it or get tossed. I was actually surprised at how capable it was, even with 80/20 tires at street pressures and a newb pilot. I took it slow and plotted my route carefully and I had a great time. Isn't that what it is all about?

~Ex