across the usa in 3 days...or less

Discussion in 'Americas' started by F800ekelley, Nov 23, 2012.

1. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking to ride from phoenix az to philadelphia pa in july was wondering if I could get some advice from the iron butt guys and the riders who have done it before trip in in july 2013. I have family to stay with along the way but would like to put in 15 to 20 hour days . I will be riding a f800gs. Was wondering what safest route is? Fun roads? Best route? Good places for food? Most of all routes with fewest trucks ? Any fffeedback would be great any most stops or must have gear?
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Across the US in 3 days... and still looking for some fun routes, or sights along the way?? Those are not gonna fit into the same trip, if you intend to get any sleep during the night.
  3. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a stretch but I figure to keep the boredom down if anyone knew a fun route ie the dragon, or blue ridge parkway. That would help
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    2400 miles and some 40 hours worth. 20 hours per day get's you there in 2. Maybe take the 3rd day to explore MD and WV. There is lots of great riding and you could even visit Gettysburg.

Blue Ridge is a very slow road and boring as heck. Like a 35mph speed limit. You can't get to the Dragon from Phoenix.:lol3
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever put in 15-20 hour days ? Have you ever done it in July ?
  6. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done 2. 20 hour days it was rough as they were back to back. Main thing I learned is seat is important however I have never done that far on my new bike I have only done 10 hours on this bike. I will be doing a ride report on this as well. Just wondering the best roads to take from anyone who has done cross country. I have driven it and know the mid west is very boring at parts
  7. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb

We should start a pool to see how far the OP gets before butt-burn keeps him out of the saddle. :rofl

My guess is that it'll be sometime during the first tank of gas on Day 2, if he lasts that long. :1drink

Getting back to the original question... that's a looooong pull between Phoenix and Philly, even if you're in a comfortable cage and keep to the freeways. It'll be stupid-hot much of the time, when it isn't, expect muggy and/or exciting weather. :puke1

You'll need to perform some basic maintenance along the way: lube the chain at least daily, check the oil and tire pressures each morning before you start, and adjust if needed. Be prepared to change a flat at the roadside using only the tools/parts that you have on hand.
  8. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    check out the IBA website, loads of information there on how to do long rides.

IMO, that distance in that time means you are gonna be on the interstate the whole time. When I rode across (Toronto to San Fran), avoiding interstates, seeing the sites, I did it in 9 days (with 1 off).
  9. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    AVOID Nebraska... and Illinois... :D
  10. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TOSH if I bet on anyone it would be myself. Heat is a factor I have taken into consideration I grew up on the east coast and am use to humidy but I have only riden in dry heat of az. Howver not sure if I want to go north of phoenix and over, or go south thru texas. To NC and then go north only thing I really want to aviod is the pa turnpike

Catweasel67 good point thank you I will check out their website I read the advrider hall of wisdom for IBA but I think they might have some more wisdom there

HEYWHATEVER. Good point my uncle lived there was the worst part about driving cross country it was flat and boring only good thing was speed limit in a lot of neb. Is 80 but that state is SOOOO boring
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I've been told there is a video of a guy shooting staples into his head.
    Somebody, some where, probably offered him respect....
  12. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    that's sig line material right there...
  13. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the most direct route, with stops in Clinton, OK (!?!) and Terre Haute, IN. http://goo.gl/maps/Rt4XJ

This would be about 14 hours the first day, 13 the second and 12 the third.

It's a young man's game...

NFE
  14. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The alternative through Texas would be even more difficult... http://goo.gl/maps/GdWYi

An even younger man's game.

NFE
  15. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    Texas... yes. I do beleive Texas has the highest speed limits in the US.

Watch out for what I call "the Texas lane split" though...

Huge battered pickup, going 50 or so, pulls half way off the two lane highway and half way on... and he motions you to pass INSIDE his lane on the left of him, while you are not really given a choice, as he is spitting gravel at you like a sonofab*tch...

I don't even KNOW if that is LEGAL in most states... where I live it most definitely IS NOT.

Let me know if you make it to NC! :clap
  16. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're going to be stopped by combination of butt-burn and general fatigue. Nobody is saying that it can't be done, but until you've spent a few long days back-to-back on a bike, you really don't know what you're getting into.

The requests for scenic/twisty options without blowing through your allotted travel time also point to a wee bit of over over-enthusiasm on your part. I don't think that you fully appreciate what you're getting into...

Finally, your bike, through no fault of its' own, is not the best choice for a long multi-day slab ride.

PS- in Texas, by mid-June it's already too hot to ride. :eek1
  17. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TOSH- that is a good point something to think about bike wise I have done few long long rides on it so couple prep ride s might really see if this is possible I am rushing back to the east coast to get to a family wedding and to cross a bucket list item of riding. With my family

NO FALSE-thanks for the routes I will check those out right now I have a free place to stay with family in boone NC so I will be going thru there and up I think still not sold on a route

HEYWHATEVER- we have a few places in az where drivers do that all the time it drives me nuts. Rocks spitting at you at 45MPH is not fun I have heard good and bad about riding thru texas the good being the steak houses
  18. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but with your time frame the only steak you'll see will be still standing in a pasture munching grass.
  19. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drivers in Texas pull over when they can to be courteous. People from other states do not realize why we do it. To outsiders that may be weird but not among us. And yes, riding in Texas can be brutal, hydrate, hydrate, and then drink some more water. Smart water is even better that time of year. Trust me, I know. Riding in Texas for over 35 years will teach you alot.
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drivers in Mexico do the same thing. I think its helpful and courteous.