Hi-Viz believer or non believer?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dusty1013, Jan 24, 2014.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its safer to do a proper lane change using your signals then without right? Its safer to flash your brake light a few times before stopping right?
    Visibility enhancements can make it easier for attentive drivers to judge your speed and location.

People tend to respond in a positive manner when others communicate with them in a clear, concise manner.
  2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you cant comprehend the difference in additude between wearing it with the expectation of results, and using it to supplement good roadcraft I can't help you, sorry
  3. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the world is flat.
  4. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no... it was witch craft.

actually it was per chance.
  5. simonm2211

simonm2211 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi-viz is recognized globally in the Construction, manufacturing, O&G and Mining industries to increase the visibility of people working near large, heavy, mobile equipment. It is easy to miss seeing a rider wearing dark clothing on an overcast day or when the background is a similar hue. Every rider is surely better off thinking drivers don't see them but if you really believe that, why would you not want to give yourself a better chance by standing out?
  6. wr37

wr37 Woods Racer

Oddometer:
    It sometimes depends on a few different factors. I work in survey to, but primarily at a landfill. We have found that colour is not always the main factor. It has a lot more to do with contrast. We did an off the cuff test, we put one guy in one of those orange vests with red stripes and the other in a solid light blue shirt. They stood with the waste in the background. You could pick out the solid blue better than the orange with stripes because the background was multi-colored. So we went with solid orange shirts to cover all the bases. My guess this would also transfer to a busy urban street with lots of bright signs and other multi-colored distractions. Having bits and pieces of high-vis, like most jackets have, might blend in somewhat. Someone should get a grant and do a study :deal
  7. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have walkers here on some of the more interesting roads around here, apparently drab and camo is 'in' for zombies this year. The difference in visibility between the idiots and the smart ones who wear a high-vis top is startling. You can pick high-vis as soon as it comes into view - the others, well, only when they scream and leap out of the way - amazed there aren't more deaths.

Pete
  8. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of people in this thread that think that hi viz works when walking etc. so it will work on a bike also.
    80% of bike accidents happen on the front end of the bike.
    The biker is most often hidden behind a light and fairing.
    There is not much real evidence, as in trials etc. that it makes a difference what kind of color a biker is wearing.
  9. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    I have a hi-viz (orange) bike and wear a white helmet (one of the good guys). I stuck some reflective tape to the back of my top box after I saw how effective it is when riding in the dark. There are many long tunnels in the Alps, and riding through them behind other bikes I noticed how the reflective tape is much more visible than taillights.
  10. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy But a moment's sunshine fading in the grass.

Oddometer:
    I will offer a simple guideline. Wear it like it's going to make a difference and ride like it won't.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'+ pushing 300LBS,ride a large bike that looks like a giant beetle with a bright HID cyclops eye and they still don't see me. But let me show up to take your daughter out and you won't miss a fucking thing I'll guarantee that.

Hi Viz can be a tool but is nothing by itself. Just like ATGATT is nothing if you cannot ride. It's a combination of things that lead to getting home every night but the primary is knowing how to ride a motorcycle. They can teach you how to operate a motorcycle but practice and seat time are key to a long life riding.
  12. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:

A very bright single headlight will IMHO make you less visible than a not so bright headlight, because the former hides your silhouette and only makes you a single point of light which is easily ignored.

Try fork lights for a triangle of light, that will make a difference.
    Try lateral movement, that will make a difference.

Oh, and stay away from my daughter.
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not depend on others seeing me. Quite the contrary in fact. My MO is knowing they do not and riding accordingly.

That's all up to your daughter,not me. :evil She just has to say no.
  14. WilCon76

WilCon76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I admit to not reading every page. I wear a light colored helmet, white, to help me be more visible. The white against all the dark colors, forest leaves, bright or dark sky always stands out. The last traffic safety numbers show that white helmets are the least likely to be involved in a traffic accident where the motorist did not see them.
  15. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Hi-Viz wearing dude on a big bike, travelling at high speed, went past me on my little scoot yesterday.

I was first aware of him from my rear view mirror and then peripheral vision as he came around a bend and then pulled out to pass. It was not until he went past that I realised he was wearing Hi-Viz. It was mostly obscured from the front by the screen on his bike.

Within 10 seconds he was about 70 metres ahead of me, behind a small white car. The Hi-Viz had merged into the background, just a small spot amongst many shades. His black sleeves provided greater contrast against the car.

In daylight, Hi-Viz is probably most effective at low speed and close range. However, white fabric and fluorescent strips are of great benefit at night.
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, we do not do common sense around here!:deal
  17. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think these three posts finish this thread.
  18. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    <table id="post23370188" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="font-weight:normal; border: 1px solid #575757; border-right: 0px">[​IMG] Yesterday, 02:35 AM </td><td class="thead" style="font-weight:normal; border: 1px solid #575757; border-left: 0px" align="right"> #191 </td></tr> <tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-top: 0px; border-bottom: 0px" width="175"> sphyrnidus <sup></sup>
    born to ride

[​IMG]

Oddometer: 89

</td><td class="alt1" id="td_post_23370188" style="border-right: 1px solid #575757"> I see a lot of people in this thread that think that hi viz works when walking etc. so it will work on a bike also.
    80% of bike accidents happen on the front end of the bike.
    The biker is most often hidden behind a light and fairing.
    There is not much real evidence, as in trials etc. that it makes a difference what kind of color a biker is wearing.
    </td> </tr> <tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-top: 0px"> [​IMG] [​IMG] </td><td class="alt1" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right"> [​IMG] [​IMG] </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

That's kind of amusing, given there's a hi-viz jacket plainly visible in your avatar, but I have to hunt to find the headlight.
  19. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
  20. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer: