The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    got to try my HomeMade rest today.
    My friend use it all day with his .223 and he really likes it!
    I use it with my 45-70 to double check the sight and this thing did great. It took most of the kick perfectly.
    Def. a keeper! :thumb
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wYHpD0inJok?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Some @hole to the tables! :(
  2. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I joined the Garand Collectors Association today so that I can send the rest of my hard earned money to the CMP. Just a question about the requirements; Is my NJ Hunters Education, or NRA Pistol First Steps training sufficient for the live fire training that CMP requires? Thanks in advance.
  3. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Believe so.
  4. Bigfeet428

Bigfeet428 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ruger is killing me with this one.lol I use Lil gun in my 77/22 Hornet and some .357 loads. Might be worth looking into for a 357 long gun.
  5. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    I'm going to build an Anschutz style stock for a 10/22 have and I need a starting point or pattern.

Something like this

[​IMG]

Anyone have a stock they can trace and email me a .pdf of said drawing?
  6. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    How about just buying a Boyd's?
    [​IMG]
  7. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    Never mind, just received a stock for free.
  8. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Well that works :D
  9. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Gotta gun, Now what? :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Looks like a Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. Good choice!
  11. Phat

Phat Banned

Oddometer:
    A bit off topic but not worth starting a new thread. Opinions on DIY a guns finish? Item in mind at the moment is a circa 1968 Ruger Mk 1. Bit of rust here and there. Nothing is pitted. Ideas welcome.
  12. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless the gun has near zero value, dont mess with it. If the rust isnt so bad the gun no longer functions, just leave it. Oil the hell out of it to stop it from getting worse. Might knock it down a bit with bronze wool. (softer than steel wool).

That being said, I redid a Mossberg .22 that had sat 20+ yrs in the corner of a horse barn. Pitted severely. FILED the pits off!, then sanded and polished it. Re-blued with a Brownells cold blueing kit. Do this OUTSIDE!!!! Stinks like you cant believe! Looks nice, very age appropriate patina. But no where as rich a blue as a factory job. Held up well for the past 10 yrs. I keep it oily and it now lives in the corner of my garage!
  13. 00SS

00SS Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer:
    anyone have (or have owned) a Star (Firestar 9mm)? picking one up tomorrow on a trade for an 870 express and was wanting to hear from firsthand owners on their take on it.
  14. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Star imported from Spain by interarms? I've got one. Pull trigger, goes bang. :lol3

It's either from my dad or one of his friends, so that means it was cheap to buy 20 years ago. Too many newer 9's in the safe now for it to find it's way out to get shot. Don't actually remember the last time it was used.
  15. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two options, option one is an easy to use product called Duracote http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Option two, since it is a nice old Ruger, send it in to Ruger and and just say hit is having issues firing with the safety on, and ask how much to refinish it.......they will most likely inspect and clean and refinish it at no charge, or a very small fee. I had a rough Single Six that I got when my father in law passed away. It was in need of a new finish and upgrade to the newer safety. I mentioned to contact me about refinishing and before I knew it, it arrived back, refinished, new grips ( old were cracked) all in a brand new box with instruction book......
  16. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Firestar in .45 in Starvel (nickel) that was a great small gun but heavy. I gave it to my son and he got rid of it for a 9mm Ruger.
  17. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    So, for a very long time I've rather coveted a Browning Hi-Power, 9mm.

I'm not going to carry it, going to use it at the range mainly, feeding it el-cheapo ammo, just because sometimes it's fun to shoot something bigger than a .22, of which I have both a wheel-gun and a Ruger Mark I.

I want a 9 because it's the lowest cost per round.

If I need a concealed carry, I can use my Detective special in .38 special.

Is there a better choice for the same [around a grand new] or less, that I aught to consider? I'm looking at the military hammer and adjustable rear sight.

Let it be said that my strong preference is an all metal gun.

I'm not planning on a lot of customizing.

This aught to be interesting.
  18. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
  19. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Those are two very nice looking rifles. I'm not sure what you were trying for, smallest and largest bores? - for looking alike they probably don't shoot much alike. Pity the guy who grabs the big one by mistake and is not ready for it...
  20. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:

The loading would give it away, how much lighter is the 45-70? I would imagine there is alot less steel in the barrel on the 45-70.

I have an H&R .410 single shot - only its from just before they started making the shotguns swappable barrelled.