BMW R1150RT Brake Rant

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fish, Aug 21, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    [rant]I'm pissed at BMW. I've got some issues with my RT that bmwscruz is doing an adequate job of addressing. But I'm pissed at BMW because of their stance on the RT brake issue. They redesigned the rear ABS modulator and cut it into new production some time back. But this doesn't piss me off. What pisses me off is that a particular individual over at mrn posted the TSB about the RT brakes, and BMWNA is coming down hard on him. I can't fucking believe it. They issued a recall for the 1150GS brakeline potentially rubbing on the speedo cable, but not a single word publicly about how the integral ABS senses rear wheel lock-up and releases the front wheel, causing some massive ass-puckering. I've experienced this time and time again, and have grown used to taking it easy in the downhill bumpy stuff, but I don't want to anymore. These are the best brakes in the world and should work as advertised. Too, what I've found is only the most aggressive RT riders complain about this. Average riders only see the massive stopping power in the brakes, but don't take them to the limit necessary to override the design. I wish I could be like that.

Shit...now the blue and white roundel helicopters are going to start watching me.

Can you believe my friend actually got a "cease and desist" letter
    from BMWNA to take the image of the RT brake TSB off his website?
    [/rant]

:pissed :boid
  2. Moot

Moot Precipitate-Cognitive-Max

Oddometer:
    Easy bud... sounds like your ready to blow! (a fuse) :rofl
  3. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    I too was very shocked too here that my fellow BMW RT owners in the Good OLD US of A can not get the same level of service as myself over this brake issue.
    The UPDATED brake modulator that Fish and others have read about in the that BWM realesed TSB...FIXED my brake issue.
    To read that some one hass been singled out about this for making other's a where of a potential safty issue .....is nothing short of insanity
    BMW get off your lazy ASS and fix IT NOW!!!!!!!!:mad?:mad?
  4. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a pussy rider, and my commute to and from work has a half dozen places where the brakes act as you describe. Takes nothing more than the usual "agressive" in traffic stop and a couple Chitown expansion joints.

As far as your friend getting fucked by BMW, perhaps a note to the press? MCN seems pretty up on publishing this type of stuff.

BMW sucks. But the build one nice bike...right? :):
  5. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    maybe a class action suit on the ABS would get their attention :dunno
  6. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    how about a little guerilla tactic? take the info, with pics, set it up with simple HTML tags and hand it out to anyone interested. Between all the free sites, my own site, various site I am affiliated with...I bet I could have a dozen copies up in an hour. multiply that by say a thousand users....

and are thsoe actual BMW amnufactired brakes? or some brembo item?
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    The calipers are made by Brembo, even though they are BMW branded. Who makes the ABS modulator? :dunno F.A.G., I think. Is that correct Woofy? :):
  8. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    besides I dont think they can stop you from posting pictures of your own bike that you took. and they certainly cant prevent you from posting your evaluations, opinions, etc. as long as you arent slanderous or libelous (which I would have to re-look up the definitions of. I think it is the diference between "Fish is an embezzling sodomite" and "In my opinion, Fish is an embezzling sodomite"
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I thought for sure there was a thread on the Integral ABS technical service bulletin, but I just cannot find it. Any ideas?
  10. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    if anybody has a copy of the BMW Service Bulletin 34 001 02 (012) concerning the brakes, please send me a copy. I may need it for future reference.

thanks
  11. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
  12. HardCoreCommute

HardCoreCommute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about getting the NHTSA involved? Anybody know if Arch or anyone else has complained to these guys? My concern is that during a collision-avoidance panic stop, a little bump in the road will cause BOTH brakes to cycle the ABS. I've had this happen once or twice. Mostly I don't ride aggressive enough to make the ABS engage. What are the ramifcations of posting a complaint to the FEDs?

Here's the site that I found:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm
  13. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The NHTSA is probably the best bet. If every person who had issues with this filed, it would get *someones* attention.
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    i really wish you'd STOP that shit :arg

i had to float through a bazillion mrn posts to find absofuckinglutely nothing. I want a copy of the TSB,
    can someone just send it to me? Or even a transcribed version.
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Imo play nice first and let's see what happens. I can get really really ugly if I want to [​IMG]
  16. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I wanted to see where someone got cease and desist-ed
  17. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    those threads are about that...BUT as you were mailed the actual TSB has been removed.....like dur..may be you should read what people mail you in future.....:evil :):
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    listen you uppity little ocker bitch, i asked for the TSB, not a bunch
    of mOrOn babble about it. i got the mail, dur, and am waiting
    for the doc.
    :thwak
  19. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    GOOD then you will understand then,.. that the person who had this info TOLD you he was deleting it....so you DON"T read your mails..Ummm do we:evil :):
    and you know who to mail for it....and it Mr Bitch Ocker too you :rofl
  20. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    perhaps you will understand that maybe there is more than
    one person in the world who has a copy of it? :huh