the 3/4 length leather rider's jacket is baaaaaack

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mutineer, Feb 26, 2007.

1. hondahawkrider

hondahawkrider DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer:
    nope.. not avail
  2. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    They appear on eBay fairly regularly.
  3. markhas

markhas markhas

Oddometer:
    this is silly! very childish minds with no content.
  4. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    not in sizes above L they don't....

If anyone is interested, I have a xxl Baron that is very simiar to the dakar - brand new still has the tag and everything in the fleamarket... great jacket - but with the extra back protection it's a bit snug.,..
  5. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    what about the road gear 3/4 length. looks like a nice jacket

[​IMG]
  6. captaincaveman1999

captaincaveman1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HG Dakars pop up on ebay on occasion. I like the jacket so much I have a US 40 and a 42.

The 40 is for sale if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]
  7. Recht

Recht Binge Thinker

Oddometer:
    I have one of these. I think it is about 6 or 7 years old. It is a great jacket, I really like it. I'm glad to see Roadgear brought this back. In fact I may order a spare. I would also like to see a Vanson TT2 in person.
  8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    the one I have they changed the front pockets on. I hear they have a new verson coming out with vents and armor.

I'm thinking it'll be the shiznit
  9. natefalls

natefalls Stunt Cock

Oddometer:
    Hey, so if anyone was thinking about getting the Miline one, it's on clearance for $200 right now:

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1001001/p/15271

For all the bitching I did about the armor quality and whatnot, it's still one of my favorite jackets, at least when it isn't hot out. Get loads of compliments on it from non-riders and riders alike.

I'm actually re-ordering one a size smaller, since I got the wrong size the first time due to either their sizing chart being BS at the time, or a reading error on my part. Gonna take a chance and get it in the "vintage" finish just for yuks, too.
  10. klavdy

klavdy Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer:
    I bought one earlier this year, went by their size chart and had to send it back for one two sizes smaller.
    For the price it's a terrific jacket, the armour is pissweak though.
    I've put better armour in, easy to do.
    One thing that is surprising, it does not have side pockets, you know, handwarmer type pockets,and it would be good to be able to unpick the silly bloody "Melbourne" tag.
    No good in warm weather, but as a cold jacket it's great.
    The neck felt a bit high at first, would sort of catch on your helmet when doing a head check etc, it's worn in and softened up nicely now.

[​IMG]

I'll take some better, more detailed pics as the ones found online aren't all that great.

edit:
    Ooops, sorry Natefalls, just clocked your pics, they are good.
  11. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    :smile6 Commenting on a post a YEAR after it was made is equally childish. So there!:smile6 :ymca :ace :boid
  12. natefalls

natefalls Stunt Cock

Oddometer:
    Update: got my new Melbourne in the right size. Gave the one that didn't fit to my brother in law, and it fits him great.

I'm a 42, and the newer sizing chart said I'm a Large, and it fits me like a glove. The Vintage finish actually looks pretty danged awesome, like good black leather worn by time and sun. Yeah, the armor still sucks shit, but I'm sure one of my old jackets has something that I can swap in there. I'll take some pics later and stick them in here.
  13. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    I'll second that. Why the hell is it so hard to find brown leather jackets with proper armor and decent features? Must we all look like angry heavy-metal fans?
  14. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    Still on the sale - just checked ... For $200 buck - I think I am going to get another one and take it to have some zippers put in for vents...
  15. notarex

notarex Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer:
    I ordered one and received it real quick. I'm pleased with the jacket for the price. I'm a 42L and ordered a 46, sleeves are just right, length is good, a bit too big around the midsection--but I'm used to that. I'm 6'3" 200lbs with a long torso, maybe should have ordered a 44, but they were out. I plan to address the issues with the jacket as problems arise:

-Upgrade armour
    -Cover the "melbourne" stitching with a Guzzi patch
    -Re-stake the snaps (already lost one)
    -Possibly replace the zipper if it becomes an issue. I had my tailor replace the zipper on my parka recently, and he added a heavy duty talon zipper for $50 or so. That's a serious zipper.

I got the "vintage" style and it's pretty sharp. If anyone wants pics, let me know.
  16. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Okay it's not 3/4 length, but the new FirstGear Scout does come in brown, tall lengths and a butt load of features (neck warmer, dual zippers, cargo pockets, etc) to make it useful beyond the styling queue. Vids here.
  17. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up one of these Belstaffs. Quality seems very nice.

[​IMG]
  18. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    I went and did get another one... This time I got one in black as my other is the vintage...

To be honest, the black one seems to be a bit better quality of leather and it has a smaller zipper.. Not the big blocky plastic one (the zipper is still on the other side)...

I am going to keep one for what I got the vintage one for... Basically, to and from work and somewhat spirited street riding.. I do have a two piece leather for serious stuff... The idea to be an all purpose leather jacket.. My only issue with it is that it's great in the spring and fall, its just the fact that it doesn't have vents makes it a bit hot in the summer...

I m probably going to get the black one altered - but I would be curious to know what kind of armor folks have put in theirs..
  19. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I always hated that offset left top pocket. I don't know why they had it. I asked Dante and he never gave me a good answer. It's a nice jacket, I just don't like the full belt either.

I have a "genuine" HGPD jacket, been researching these and the newest (circa 1995-2000) models. Depending on the year of manufacturer, there are some differences. I went out of my way for a NOS original after comparing all of them. I do however like the lower drop pockets on the FG Baron however and the big ass chest pockets on the FG Leather Kilimanjaro as well.

The problem was that not all the FG jackets had hand warmer pockets, some did, behind the drop pockets, but most did not. Again, depends on the year of manufacturing.

I have a decent photo collection of the various jackets, here's the link.
  20. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.....remind me to have a word with Paul.

The top left breast pocket is like that so that you can get your hand into it more easily; most likely to pull out your time card when you come to a checkpoint. I guess it's only the left one because the original designers figured that most riders would want to keep their time card in there so that they could pull it out with their right hand while holding the clutch with their left hand. The angle of pocket makes for a much more natural wrist angle and easier retrieval of the card or indeed anything else you might want to carry in there.

BTW, that jacket is known as the Belstaff Knockhill which is Scotland's principal motorsports venue - www.knockhill.com and it just so happens that, on a clear day, I can see it out of my front windows.