New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Xico

Xico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm having some problems with stalling with my bike.
    Until now, I've checked
    - All the fuel system from the pump to the injector
    - Tried with another voltage regulator

But the problem continues.

Now I've conected the Tune ECU to see any problems.
    [​IMG]

Are these Throttle settings ok? I think I read somewhere of values of 0,5 or 0,7V... If they are not ok, how can I adjust them?
  2. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    Do you have the stepper motor plug disconected and butterfly closed or are those the reading with it connected.
    When unpluged and the butterfly fully closed with finger it should read per the shop manual 0.50V to 0.54V for the top value and 0.70V to 0.74V for the bottom value. The 0.5V value is adjusted on the right hand TPS and the 0.7V value is adjusted on the left hand TPS. The two TPS's are related so adjusting one can affect the value of the other.
  3. Xico

Xico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Biped!

The values on my TuneECU are with everything connected. Only with the computer connected.

The values you wrote are also for the 2011 models?
  4. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    The values are from '08 to '11, I believe '12 and on may be different. Make sure you read the shop manual before adjusting as you can bugger things up if done wrong.
  5. jetcity

jetcity jetcity

Oddometer:
    previouisly posted elsewhere... looking for enlightenment.
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757; COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Accelerating through a left turn in town, bike completely shuts down.... no power at all.; did not accidentally hit kill switch; battery wiring did not look disconnected. would not respond at all to turning of the key
    I waited for about 10 minutes --> fired up with a "FI - bat" error (I believe it said) with tachometer showing redline and clock reset. Made it home (1/2 mile) and parked it.
    Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the input.
  6. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    2011 values are different to other years. I don't have them available, but will try find them.
  7. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a bad earth. Have you checked the earth on the right hand (in)side of the frame just forward of the battery? Unfasten it, clean it up and retighten then go for another ride. Actually disconnect the wires going to the battery, clean up all the connections and refit. I would get some ACF50 and paint the stuff on as many connections around the bike as you can find. Chances are if one connection is feeling a bit old, the rest are too?
  8. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:

All earth points on the 690 have under coat on them there is about 6 earth points simply disconnect sand off under coat and reinstall earth ,
  9. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Another possibility is the fuel pump is starting to fail. See FI issues.
  10. slidefighter

slidefighter Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer:
    Got the new fan switch and bash plate installed, but still waiting on a number of other parts to come in (kick stand cutout, etc) and so I've got time to do a couple of other "bomb proofing" things. I've read there are something like 6 frame grounds on the 690. Does anyone have pictures of where they all are located or a frame diagram that shows all of them? I'd be happy to photograph all of them freshly scuffed in location IF I knew where they all were...

Thanks,

Lee...
  11. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    1. Motor/starter motor to frame, braided line
    2. Battery to frame. (-) on battery
    3. Regulator rectifier to frame. (2x green wires).

What I did was run a wire from regulator rectifier to battery - terminal. that way you know you will always have a good ground for charging.
    You can either take the green wires and splice them to a #6 wire (i think that is what i used) and run it to the battery, or put a ring terminal on the #6 (both ends) and just make a jumper from the battery (-) where the RR connects to the frame. I did not worry about the frame to motor ground.
  12. slidefighter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Noah. Headed out to the shop right now! Great to see that you are back on the road, but not so sure Az is the best place to be! Good luck in all your future adventures and thanks for the info...

Lee...
  13. jmp5us

jmp5us MY DUDE!

Oddometer:
    what do you guys think about this rack? we fabbed this up custom made of 1/2 round bar.

First we made just the top rack. I am about to take a 10 day adventure on the tat and decided some side bags would be nice. I choose to use pelican 1500's. I wanted to order the rack from happy trails, but they were 2 month's back order, which they neglected to tell me when i ordered. So we finished this rack saturday, just in time for me to leave wednesday.

I am happy with it so far, kinda sucks its welded to the top rack, but in the short time we had it was the easiiest way to do this. so this will just be my traveling rack, i will fab up another top rack when i get back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished the break-in oil change on my 2012.

Anyone else run into this? I ordered the filters from the KTM dealer (I live in Newfoundland with no local dealer...I have to take a 16 hour ferry to get the the nearest dealer). The box for the short filter said 75038046100, but the number stamped on the filter itself was 75038046101. The number on the short filter I removed said 75038046100.

They look identical (open on both ends... unlike the closed on one end for the 2011 and below filters).

I did some online searching, but couldn't find anything other than a post (from this thread) from Muffinman indicating he removed a 75038046101 from his bike and installed a 75038046100 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20504464&postcount=6890

Any advice here?

Thanks
  15. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Solid bar or tube?

I also used Pelicans, although mine are 1550s.

I have a KTM luggage rack, and I chose the Happy Trails mounting hardware. Mine are flush with the top of the seat, which makes packing additional gear on top easy. Yours look a bit low to me, and I worry that you might have ground-clearance issues.
  16. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    I think the clearance on those pelicans is comparable to any other hard bags you might buy...
  17. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks good! I used pelicans as well but smaller ones than yours. They are perfect size for over night trips. For longer tours (1-2weeks) I ditch the small top box for a Klim duffle bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    Another failure point is where the coil is bolted to frame - especially if you have the Rally Raid tanks and have the bracket to relocate it as this adds another earth failure point (the blind nuts). Had real problems with this and got tired of pulling tanks and doing roadside repairs. Ran a dedicated earth from battery terminal and have not had a problem in a year since.
  19. slidefighter

Oddometer:
    Ronin: You mentioned #6 wire (U.S. size, I assume?) for the ground connection back to the battery from the ground on the coil. Did you really mean #6---I had forgotten just how big that is! No problem, I'm hooking it up tonight once I find the copper connectors I'm looking for, but #6 is really large---looks larger than the power wire to the starter, even!

Thanks for the suggestions on this, everyone.

Lee...
  20. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know. We are pretty isolated here in Newfoundland. There are two ferries to leave the island (one is 16 hours and only runs in the summer and the other is 5 hours, but you have to drive 12 hours from St. John's to get to the ferry launch.) Of course you could take an 1.5 hour plane ride to Halifax, but not sure if I can fit the 690 in the overhead compartment.:evil

We had two KTM dealers up until last year, but KTM Canada decided to pull both of the dealerships. I guess they weren't selling enough :cry. (The entire island is only 500,000 people, so I am not sure what their expectation is :huh)

Many of us KTM owners are pretty pissed that we have been left to fend on our own with no dealer/service support.