Thrills, Spills and Chills in Moab, UT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Yardstick, May 2, 2013.

1. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the busted body. Congrats on not just breaking, but shattering bones. 10/10 on the dismount. :clap Heal fast to ride again.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the ER staff was impressed as well! :rofl
  2. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Slowred doesn't have ANY trouble keeping up with me, normally it's me chasing him, or me deciding I don't want to try the trail he just clawed through, he's an animal.

Funny thing about cruising at the tail end of the ride is that is normally the only time I nap. When I'm pushing it a bit, I'm focused, when I'm looking at scenery or daydreaming is when I'm most likely to let the bike get away from me.

Heal quickly Terry, it'll be fall soon & we have big bike trails to explore :deal
  3. strappyman

strappyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap Terry, that really sucks. Glad to see you're ok. On the positive side, at least it's the end of prime riding season and not the beginning.

Great ride report guys, looks like an awesome place to ride. I have been wanting to ride Moab soooo badly.
  4. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Great RR and pics. Heal fast SR!
  5. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    The end of the Prime Riding Season :huh It's all Prime in AZ, just have to travel a little further north.
  6. refokus

Oddometer:
    OK, I have let this go long enough and it's time that I get my photos posted before 4Play gets on me.............

The reality is, I have most all the same photos that you have all seen already so I will not post them, but I have a few.

It was really a great ride in Moab and the trails were a blast. Slick Rock was so different than what I imagined it could be. The severe off camber and the steepness was a huge surprise to me. Once I was able to get comfortable riding this I started having a blast. Up until this point, I was extremely uncomfortable.............:eek1 It's amazing how well the front brake works on the KTM and the need for this front brake when you are descending the steep trails. You could literally lift the rear tire up at will if you wanted to and the front tire would also come up quickly when climbing. What a great trail to ride and the scenery was incredible.

Here is a shot of what I was looking at toward the beginning. It's definitely steeper than what it looks. It was one steep MOFO
    [​IMG]

Yardstiick on Slick Rock
    [​IMG]

Followed by Slowred
    [​IMG]

Group shot at a site seeing view
    [​IMG]

4Play with Yardstick in the background at a resting point. This lookout was incredible
    [​IMG]

Bucket Boy getting turned around and ready to keep riding at this lookout
    [​IMG]

4Play and Slowred having fun here and providing us all with a laugh. Check out the goggles pulled back over the neck brace. I wish there was a sound clip to this one. :lol3
    [​IMG]

What a view.........the scenery was just amazing. You could literally take a thousand shots a day and still be in awe......
    [​IMG]

Off the to TOW we were watching Slowred and Bucket Boy on the Rose Garden Hill, look close you will see them and I am zoomed in on this shot.
    [​IMG]

I was watching the two of them wrestle the bikes up the hill and when I turned around to talk to Yardstick and 4Play, this is what they were doing :lol3
    [​IMG]

A couple of action shots of Yardstick heading up the hill, it was one hell of a climb. And off he goes.............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4Play and I headed the other direction and the views we saw riding down Onion Canyon were awesome. Here is 4Play taking it all in resting in the shade
    [​IMG]

Here is the crew on the second day taking photos
    [​IMG]

Yardstick was working on the balancing act and 4Play was getting a laugh out of it.
    [​IMG]

After making a trip to Chicken Corners we all blasted back the hot and dusty trail for Kane Creek. The creek trail was a lot of fun and the temps were much cooler splashing through the water. We were all having a great time on this section. There were so many photo ops that were missed with great wheelies through and over the water to side hill climbs with small jumps to the bottom. Here are a couple of shots that I did get.

Slowred followed by Yardstick. I was standing in this hole snapping the photos and I don't think either one of them saw me at first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a few shots of 4Play and Yardstick coming down the quad ramps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one last photo of the day. Here is Slowred making his was up the small hill. It was time for ice cream
    [​IMG]

This was an incredible trip although it was a short one. I want to thank Bucket Boy (Forest) for leading the way and being our tour guide :thumb

Get well soon Slowred there is still alot of "prime" riding to do this year.
  7. ybracing

ybracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW! Heal up quickly Terry. Nice ride report guys. I miss riding with all of you. :cry
  8. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great shots Refokus. But I wanted to see how Yardstick got over the rocks in between these shots :eek1

I have ridden slick rock twice on a mountain bike, even did it once in the rain - the grip is amazing - but definately takes a little time to get used to. I cannot wait to do it on the Moto!

Thanks for the report guys!
  9. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing he took the high road to the right of the rocks. Way off camber. It looks like that's the line I'd shoot for, anyway.
  10. refokus

Oddometer:
    That's the line to take, but he chose the left. He was hung up for a few seconds then broke out like riding a bucking bronco :lol3
  11. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Was that where that happened? :huh :lol3
  12. Bucket Boy

Bucket Boy The other mechanic

Oddometer:
    Are you guys planning another trip yet? :evil
  13. refokus

Oddometer:
    Hey BB, we were actually talking about Moab a few weeks back. We do need to get another trip on the calendar, such a great place to ride. I will stoke the fire a little more to peak the interest.

That was such a fun trip. Looking over this RR brings back some great memories. :clap
  14. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure Slowred has the same memories! It was a good trip up to the crash.

I think we need to work in some Monticello riding. :evil
    <iframe width="1024" height="800" src="http://s369.photobucket.com/user/Yardst1ck/embed/slideshow/Rides/1209_Monticello"></iframe>
  15. Bucket Boy

Bucket Boy The other mechanic

Oddometer:
    I agree! I spent 3 weeks in the Abajo's last year. But the timing is mid summer for that.
  16. refokus

Oddometer:
    That looks like some fun routes.