R100GS Build - Australia

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by gsd4me, Mar 1, 2012.

1. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Just heard that I have an R100 GSPD frame, swingarm, final drive, forks, and battery carrier arriving from the UK in a couple of weeks, then the build up job can begin. I`ll be playing the very important part of flicking $50.00 notes through the door of the workshop until told to stop. :D

I`ll be keeping a photographic record of the effort, so will have to learn how to post (multiple) pictures.
  2. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    Photobucket works well for me,
    here is the adv thread about image posting,

and more importantly, congrats on finally settling on a bike for the project:clap

What's the plan?
  3. R100LT

R100LT Chasing 11

Oddometer:
    and the expiry date on your credit card is ???
  4. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    That should pay for the new Subaru :D
  5. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

That went over my head for a moment, then I realised what you mean. I must say that I was disappointed at first when I saw that Ray had bought a new car in KTM colours; surely there is a more suitable blue colour in the Subie range. :rofl
  6. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We`ve been looking for a rough R100GS, at the right price, but there weren`t any around. I wouldn`t have minded a GSPD tank, but didn`t want the roo bars, headlight, fairing and instruments, as they would be discarded.

Ray has almost enough bits and pieces already to make a start, but really wanted a GS frame as he then wouldn`t have to cut bits off it.

The swingarm setup was the most difficult one, what to do? I wouldn`t have minded a stretched monolever, as they are simple; Ray was keen to lengthen a twin shock swingarm. We also talked of lengthening a monoshock or fitting an 1100/1150 GS swingarm. Discretion being the better part of valour, a paralever was decided on, as they are now easy and cheap to rebuild.

We`re sticking with the 980cc, twin plugged (of course) plus a few nice touches inside; more on that later when I find out exactly what is planned. The engine will be built more for torque over outright speed as I have a certain driving/riding style brought on by driving trucks, so will most likely use the smaller carbs and exhaust pipes.

5% lower first gear, 5% higher top gear.

White tank and guards with a blue frame. I love those colours.

I can use a Mystic tank, which is similar to the R100GS tank (recessed fuel cap, bit smaller capacity) or a 32 litre R80 GSPD tank, which are still available new at a not too bad price, if you know where to look. :evil

Round BMW headlight on the correct mounts (monoshock type is a good size), augmented by an LED strip mounted below), low GS mudguard, single seat, etc, etc, plus nice touches that will be decided on as the job progresses.
  7. Podmiester

Podmiester Podmiester

Oddometer:
    Project sounds interesting

White tank n blue frame. Your getting me thinking. I think I might GS the R100R for the commin winter.

Rgs Podmiester
  8. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

That certainly would confuse the populace. In a lot of cases the colour scheme identifies a bike model; to change things makes people do a double take.

If anyone wants to add to this thread, about anything airhead, please feel free to do so. If the thread veers off track it doesn`t matter as it will be pulled back whenever I do an update.
  9. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Well, the goods haven`t arrived from the UK yet, and I don`t know what they will cost, but I do know that the freight is costing 600 Pounds :eek1. The frame is the main culprit, so the charge is for volume, not weight.

A pallet has to be made for the bits; Ray said he should have ordered things likes guards and other bits and pieces that could have been sent as well for no more cost, but as he`s ordering all the time for his other jobs, it`s not a problem.

"We" have decided that the bigger carbs and pipes will be used; the engine will be the same spec as Ray has on his "R80GSPD", which has more grunt that any (normal) airhead person would need, but goes like the clappers and still uses 91 RON fuel (our lowest octane, without ethanol).

Next update should have the parts on Oz soil, in a week or so.
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    The bits and pieces that were ordered from the UK are on Oz soil and should be delivered any day now; pics to follow....hopefully.
  12. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Just as the build is about to start, it appears that I have sold my Xchallenge....oh happy days. :clap
  13. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl

:freaky

:ear
  14. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    That means plowing through any effing thing that gets in my way. :lol3
  15. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    I may have to start a rebuild to, just paid for this today, havnt even seen it yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Noice, where`d it come from?
  17. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    from flee bay, been on there for a week no bids.
  18. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:

:freaky:clap
  19. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    I`m sure there are a lot of us here that are keen to know the ins and outs of the bike when you get it, Locky.
  20. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I see a lil competition going on here. I might be interested in putting a wager on it :evil
    how you guys gonna do it?- first to completion? most horsepower/torque? lightest weight? biggest tank? emptiest wallet?:D