Rally West Virginia 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Feb 14, 2012.

1. kyjenkin

kyjenkin Squatchy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys and girl! LOL Is/has anyone been riding to the rally or are most trailering? I read on the NASA rallymoto rule guide that riders are required to have a "no-motion" detector on them. I this in effect for this rally or has it been ignored? Is there any other brands of the detectors other than the American Airworks Pass ll unit that can be used?
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    No motion detectors arent required equipment, but its not a bad idea if youre going to be doing any wilderness exploration. :evil It is required that you have at least 10sq inches of reflectivity on your back, or a flashing LED like a bicycle light.

I trailer to the events mostly because I have to be to work on Monday usually, sometimes even Sunday and cant risk not getting back for that. I'm going to the race in order to see how far I can push my limits while still finishing the rallye, but I am there to push limits a bit. If it was a rally without a final e and therefore a motorcycle campout, I would more likely ride there.
    I'm going to race with the lifespan measured in Rally Stages, not in the 1000 miles trip there and back as well. I would most likely go quite a bit easier on the machine if I had that to add to the rallye, and I dont want to do that, I would prefer to give the stages everything I had. :D

Point it, my risk of doing damage is greater and therefore my chances of not getting home for a few days, therefore I have to think about the bigger picture.

Andrew P is still my hero for riding to Black RIver on his 1150 and still kicking my ass. :bow
  3. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding there. I'm about 350 miles away but I don't own a car/truck/trailer. I figure by the time I get home I will be under 1000 miles total so I really can't foresee any issues maintenance wise. I might ride a little more cautiously since I need to be at work monday morning.
  4. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Please read the rules closely. You'll see that this is an "OR" rule, not an "AND" rule. As in, you need "this OR that", not "this AND that". :deal

Anders
  5. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    This is great seeing some new riders. I did RWV last year as my first RallyMoto and we only had 8 riders. I was afraid it was dying out just as I got into it. Already we have 14 signed up, more people talking about signing up, and registration hasn't officially opened yet!

Looks like it will be a good turnout :clap

Don't worry about being a newbie. As Anders said most competitors have never done any other form of motorsport before their first rally. Read the rulebook, pay attention in the "New Competitor Orientation" and when in doubt ask other riders.
  6. kyjenkin

kyjenkin Squatchy

Oddometer:
    Cool, I will definitely try to make this one! Thanks dudes!
  7. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So when do I need to show up, I'm trying to plan my vacation out right now. Am I okay just taking off Friday, and riding up on Thursday night?
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Im gonna get there thursday night, myself. I think the tech and reg are open thursday night, if you get there early enough, but they re-open Friday AM, and also the NCO is Friday AM, I think, and then the ceremonial start is like 4pm, usually. Last year the final stage started at 9 or 10pm. Oy.
  9. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:

Sounds good, final stage 9 or 10pm Saturday night?

So my plan of arriving late Thursday night should work out. I can get a decent night sleep, wake up and get started with registration.
  10. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Thats the idea, but keep an eye on the event guide and supp regs when they come out- it should be detailed in there.

it was kinda of a bit of a cluster towards evening, last time. :eyes
  11. Rail7

Rail7 Authenticious.

Oddometer:
    I've emailed Amy a few times regarding licensing and membership. Can I scan and email my documents for this stuff?
  12. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did all my stuff online except sent her the liscense paperwork. Don't forget to get it notarized. It didn't take long.
  13. Rail7

Rail7 Authenticious.

Oddometer:
    In terms of location on the mountain, where do we need to be? The hotels on the base are cheaper, just trying to get a feel for where we should stay.
  14. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I was lucky to get in on a condo rental at the top of the mtn, maybe you can share with someone?
  15. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    All the rally stuff will be up at the top of the mountain, but other than the fact the road is very twisty it isn't that far from the hotel to the top. But, when we finish day 1 late in the evening and you are dead tired and it is dark, you probably would appreciate a room up on top of the mountain.

I sleep in my van so my "hotel" is always whereever I need it to be :thumb
  16. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I'll more than likely do that condo thing again, at the top of the mountain. That worked pretty well for me, last time. Will see whose interested as we get closer.
  17. Rail7

Rail7 Authenticious.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good idea. What are the names of the condo units at the top where we need to be?
  18. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    http://media.intrawest.com/snowshoe/docs/Mountaintop_map.pdf

I got one at "Loggers Run." SOuth side of the resort, right next to the Top Of The WOrld parking lot which is the Start and Service. Think it was $750 inclusive for Thursday-Sunday. Five bedroom- with a garage and a hot tub. I wen t directly through the condo owners via VRBO.com

With the four or five folks who went in on it, it was about maybe $50 a night?
  19. Rail7

Rail7 Authenticious.

Oddometer:
    Just locked down a tiny condo right beside the Top of the World parking lot. Is this really 3 months away?

Also, is it better to just mail the documents in or fax them? Is the address on the license app correct?
  20. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    It's better to do either one... as long as you do it a LONG time before the rally. The earlier the better. :deal

For all licensing stuff, the best method is online payment for license/membership through your account at nasarallysport.com/nrsdb and all documents faxed to 919.882.1883

That makes everything electronic and easily traced. :)

Anders