Charlotte: Ride Planning, 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet and General Hooliganism

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by JoeyBones, Nov 5, 2009.

1. GTV630

GTV630 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far it was just the two of us so we are just meeting at my house. If you're interested I can pm you my address.
  2. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    yeah, i just picked up a drz 2 weeks ago....:huh
  3. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    Hey man WTF happened to you?
  4. sallydog

Oddometer:
    Broke my good leg after BYOB. Had to ride 600 miles back [sucked]. Doctor didn't like the way I set it and redid it this morning. :cry
  5. Ilbikes

Ilbikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, I want to thank everyone for the invite last night. We must have really bad pizza here in Seneca, SC because my meat lovers pie was great.

I'll be back, you guys made us feel welcome and we enjoyed the conversation. The surprise for us was that even with a wide range of ages and backgrounds, everyone came together to enjoy the stories and planning of past and future rides. The perfect setting and theme for dinner and a beer!

Thanks again. Gordon/RTS
  6. Dirty Lloyd

Dirty Lloyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that was me. Glad you missed the hole!

I was talking with Augie and saying I have fell for the too relaxed riding trap a few times. He was sharing the same. Your on a long trip, your getting really comfortable with riding and not paying as much attention as you should and BAM! Some sorta surprise! Augie spoke of a cattle guard that someone strung barb wire across, and did not mark it. Ugh!

Gordon and I got comfy last year on the TAT. I was leading, in Mississippi and we were zooming along about 50 mph on a gravel road and came over a rather sharp rolling hill (about the 10th in a series) and BAM, less than 100ft the road changed to very deep sugar sand!!

Took us 45 mins to get out of there!

L.
  7. wesdawg

wesdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .... Well, maybe I should leave the wheel unbalanced then:D definitely keeps the pucker factor up.... No relaxing or Daydreaming!

8. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    Where's little dog going to perch on a DRZ? :D
  9. XCRider803

Oddometer:
    We're like that. :1drink It's a cool get together and I love every one I can attend.

Well, off to get ready for a week on the road. Need to make sure the bike is ready for the Assault on Wolf Creek and pack and everything else I need to get done. I may need to hitch a ride with someone too, the Husky certainly won't do the pavement there.
  10. GTV630

GTV630 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't be riding my DRZ that far either, so I will be trucking up. I could fit two in the truck if you don't have another ride.
  11. GTV630

GTV630 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few pics from our ride this morning. Luckily the rain held off for the most part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My phone+low light+ moving image=fuzzy pic!

[​IMG]

And a creek crossing. Not bad when the water is down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDq8yY9K2Ok
  12. XCRider803

Oddometer:
    Husky is ready to go. Thanks for the offer, but I found out my bike doesn't like the interstate too much though. :D

If we can meet up closer or someone closer to Rock Hill is trailering up that would be cool too.
  13. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Dammit Chris! :uhoh

Here's hoping you heal up fast and well! :beer
  14. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    That SUCKS.
  15. sallydog

Oddometer:
    yep. sucks bad... 4th leg bone, 23rd broken bone overall. 4 more weeks on crutches
  16. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Earlier today....

[​IMG]

This wouldn't generally be noteworthy but it marks the 49th State I've ridden in, so I thought a pic would be a good idea. I rode a bicycle in Hawaii but that doesn't count, so I need to get back there some day and rent something with two wheels and an engine!

The trip is going well. The cruise down the Inside Passage was amazing, and the riding has been good since I got off the boat. Pics and stories when I get back. I'm in Twin Falls, ID now headed for parts of Wyoming and then South / East so I can hit Charlotte by the 26th.

Joe

PS: If they changed the pizza that's unacceptable and i'll find a new place! Somebody research it and let us know for sure!
  17. GTV630

GTV630 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My normal route up there would take me down 85 through Gastonia. Going around the south side of Charlotte might not be too much longer. I don't know where the others live, but if you don't get any other offers, we'll work something out. It would save me from the boredom of driving up there by myself.
  18. BOIKE333

BOIKE333 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would offer to ride up with me but I left last night for a vaca with the fam and I am not coming home before the ride......
  19. E.R.Minman

E.R.Minman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got to use them Friday when I picked up my new off road beast from VStromNC. These are not only hi-vis for easy locating in my very crowded garage, but hi-quality too. Besides being the most rugged set I have ever owned, there are two features that I am stoked about. First is the integrated steel loop for securing the hook so you don’t have to latch the hook directly to the bars (metal on metal, ewwww!:waysad). The only thing touching the bikes bars is the very substantial orange strap. The other feature I like, and haven't seen before is the spring closures on each end of the straps. This simple but very effective feature gives me the confidence that an open ended hook does not. As you can see in the pictures below, I carry bikes on a Versa-Haul hitch rack, which carries them sideways behind the vehicle. When coming to a stop, I have always felt that the bike is going to smash through the rear window and join me in the front seat. This is the first time I have loaded a bike on that rack and haven’t had sway from acceleration or braking. I highly recommend these bad-boys!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thanks Ilbikes!!!

http://shop.rrrtoolsolutions.com/RRR...er-TD-Pair.htm

[​IMG]
    image3 by emizzle81, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    image by emizzle81, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    image2 by emizzle81, on Flickr
  20. Koolranch

Koolranch NCADVR

Oddometer:

Intermezzo, it's around the corner and the best pizza in Charlotte hands down. Trip sounds awesome.