No starter action on Airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by davemon, Mar 25, 2011.

1. davemon

davemon High Speed Airhead

Oddometer:
    1978 R100S Replaced the starter in August with a nippondense and put on an Enduralast charging system this January. Has run since then great putting on over 2K miles with no problems. Went to start and nothing to the starter and the idiot lights dim and the tach needle bounces. Pulled the starter works good, checked the wiring looks good replaced the starter relay and same thing when hitting the starter button. Ideas anyone? Dave
  2. Grider Pirate

Grider Pirate Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the battery
  3. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the health of the battery? Put the voltmeter on it to see what happens to the voltage when you hit the starter button. It shouldn't drop below 10 or so (and that's borderline)

How's the ground cable? Clean and tight at both ends? Does it heat up at the lugs at all when you hit the starter button? They've been known to corrode at the lugs and you'll get this symptom. If you have a jumper cable, jump the ground on the battery to a known good ground on the engine.

Likewise, check the pos cable to the starter (I'm assuming that you've looked at that since you had the stater out.

That's a start.
  4. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the battery to me :D
  5. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    It's always the battery.
  6. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what ADV has taught me, it's always the battery!!
  7. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    I had a recent problem where the starter wouldn't work...clack, clack, clack.
    Battery tested ok. Bike wouldn't jump from the car to the bike battery or even directly to the starter.

Replaced the starter. The old starter worked fine on the bench. The new starter worked better in the bike.

It's not "always" the battery, but it's the first place to check.
  8. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Another place to look is the large lead that attaches to the right side of the diode board. Not sure why it can cause symptoms like this, but it's the only other place I'd think to check. It's gotta be one of the already mentioned possibilities or this.

BTW, test the starter in place by running jumper cables directly from the battery to it. Attach the ground lead to the starter's mounting lug. Use a jumper to bridge 12V to the solenoid connection. If it cranks as it should this tells you the starter and battery are working properly.
  9. davemon

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info picking up a new battery tonight and will let you know.

Blue Skies and cool rides
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    I :raabia this thread.
  11. davemon

Oddometer:
    Dropped in a new Westco from Bommbars and all is working well. Worked out some wiring issues at the starter relay.Installed a DF005 relay from Advanced Auto that cost $1.49 so cheap got a spare for the tool bag and a couple for the shop, serviced the starter, so should be ready for some warm weather adventures.
    Thanks for the help

Blue Skies and cool rides
    Dave