Noobie Question - Planning Gas Stops

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by gtj, Mar 25, 2013.

1. gtj

gtj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I could eventually figure this out, but haven't been able to find a reasonably easy way to do so.

What are the recommended ways to find gas stops in the appropriate range when planning a trip.

Say I have a typical average range of 300km and wish to find some gas stops every 300km or so along a track/route to have saved as waypoints in the GPS during the trip, so I dont have to call CAA :eek1.

In Basecamp, I can use the find feature for fuel POI and locate fuel stops when centered on the map. I don't see a "find" like feature in Google Maps, but could transfer Google Maps waypoints to Basecamp and onto the GPS if this is a possibility? Is there some type of scale feature or something better than just guessing at the 300 km distances from the small "scale" in the lower left corner?

Much Appreciated.
  2. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used the "measure tool" (its icon is a ruler) in Basecamp to measure roughly, between two points, my expected gas range. I then note that location and may even move to Google Maps to search for gas stations near that location. That said, generally all I do now, if I've got a long trip planned, is just make a mental note at the start of each day as to where I might stop for gas. It really depends on the type of roads you'll be on and in what part of the country. Out in the boonies, I'd worry about it a little more. If I'm planning on being on well-travelled roads, I know I'll find gas.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I create routes for trip planning I make them go for about the maximum distance I would like between known gas stations (~150 miles). That way I can just open the route and see the distance.

Finding gas stations can be quite an art in remote locations. Most small towns in the west do not have gas stations.

I use Yahoo Yellow Pages sometimes to find stations.

In really critical situations I post a thread in the appropriate regional forum, i.e., West, Rockies, etc. requesting information.
  4. QSrider

QSrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use Google Map and then double check with the brand of fuel website (I found they are the most up to date). Also, if you find one, just one in the middle of nowhere. Give them a call to make sure they are open. Sucks to get there and find it boarded up or out of gas... DAMHIK. :huh
  5. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using Garmin Basecamp, you can assign a ‘Proximity Value’ to any waypoint along your track or route. If you set the value to 100 miles, a red circle will appear in BC with a radius of 100 miles around that waypoint. Where the red circle hits your track 100 miles out, you can search for any possible camp grounds or fuel locations in the area using BC. The red circles can give you a visual aid in helping you plan a trip.

If you have 'Proximity Alert' enabled on the gps, it will tell you when you reach the ‘Proximity Value’. The gps will inform you when you enter the proximity point and when you ride out the other side.

daryl
  6. gtj

gtj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this tip. Sounds like a great option to utilize.
  7. gtj

gtj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on the measure tool. That works nicely.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    After I settle in my camp/hotel or whatever for the evening, after having a fire and or while having a few drinks, I'll usually play around on google maps, just to see where I am, where I expect to be the next day, and take a couple notes about the next days first fuel stop and roads to take.

Sometimes I gas up in the mornings when getting underway or shortly thereafter. So having the first fuel stop planned is very important. Other times if I'm hoteling it and there's gas near where I'm staying, I may settle in then go back to fill up, get some food and drinks and call it a night to be ready to gun it in the am. I'll always look at online maps and routes in the evening though just to frig around and relax.

If I continue drinking I put my couple notes in my tankbag before I'm too drunk, so I can be reminded of what I did the night before. :deal
  9. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I totally appreciate this approach!
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    There is a Trip Planning "tool" coming in v4.2 which might help you plan out your stops during the day and from day to day (I wouldn't use the v4.2.0.1 Beta unless you understand all of the caveats).

But, when it comes to Gas stops in remote areas of any country, once found in your planning I'd call the business just to make sure they are still in and have fuel.

Cheers,
  11. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    this is what I do.

Let's say for example you're going from Toronto to Ottawa. That's a total of approximately 451km. Once you have that route plotted out in googlemaps what you do is drag the point "B" back along the route. As you're moving it back you'll see that there's a distance calculator box on the lower right of the waypoint marker that tells you what the distance is. So I drop it in at about that 300km range and then zoom into point "B". That places me near exit 659 on route 401.

Then I type in "gas station" on the search bar and it gives me the nearest stations around. In this example the gas stations nearest there are across the border in Alexandria so I just keep zooming out until I see something. Looks like Gananoque is your closest gas station. Better to look for something closer, than further to your 300km range so that you don't risk running out of gas. :)

Another thing I like to do is to check the street view once I have located a station. Some times you'll get a waypoint but when you look at the street view then you soon realize that the place has been out of business for years. :lol3 that's no good. If no street view there's typically a phone number you can call to make sure the station actually exists.

Hope that helps.