Barbecue tour - tag/photo fest

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by wb57, Oct 20, 2012.

1. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pass Bob's in Butner often. I take classes at VGCC right across the street. I just haven't timed it right to try it out. It's on my "to do" list also! I've been hesitant recently, I was up there last week, and almost stopped in. But I was afraid they'd only have fries and slaw as sides. I can't eat either of those right now, just veggies for me. (trying to get back my girlish figure, down 30+ pounds so far but still got 25-30 pounds to go):cry All you FFs eating fries and burgers yesterday, almost made me cry! Fries are like my kryptonite. It's been hard, but I haven't had a fry in over 2 months!
  2. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bob's is a decent spot. I meet my dad there about once/month and hit it on occasion otherwise. It's a good standby kind of place. Barbecue is good. Lots of other items on the menu are very good. Best fried pork chops I've had anywhere and the onion rings are fantastic. So is the shrimp. They have been a little hit and miss lately, but I'm nowhere near writing them off. The Barbecue Barn (Pink Pig) in Butner a few miles away needs to be on your list for sure. Only been there two or three times, but always been impressed.
    Johnson Family Barbecue was a serious surprise, but like STBNE said, they can and do run out of barbecue on occasion. I think it's just two people that run the whole place and that's going to happen. Personally, I think it adds to the charm.
    I won't go back to Holden's under any circumstances. That place is an intestinal disorder in full bloom.
    We went to Wilber's in Goldsboro yesterday and for as much as I've been anticipating going there for years, I'm going to have to say I was disappointed. Review to follow.
    As far as the Barbecue Lodge on Capital goes, go midweek at lunch. Don't bother on the weekends or for dinner. They completely shine at lunch.
    My recent favorite find is Carolina Barbecue in Garner. Among the best I've had in a while. Review on it to follow as well.
    I like Coopers as well. We usually get them to cater our Christmas lunch at work.
  3. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been curious about Carolina BBQ in Garner. I've driven by it a thousand times, and never tried it. I drove by there today actually, and wondered if anyone here could comment on it. It seems to stay busy.
  4. turtlemoye

turtlemoye I'd rather not be online. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the odd thing about BBQ? No matter how good or bad it might be I've never seen one go out of business. And most folks that eat at their local or favorite BBQ joint will swear it's the best there is. Obviously taste is subjective but what some places get away with serving it just down right nasty to me. Who in the heck makes their sauce using tomatoes or mustard anyway?
  5. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's cooked meat, and there can be a LOT of variables there. It's like my experience with Old Time. I liked it for years, and then all of a sudden, twice back to back it was tough, greasy, just bad meat.
  6. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:

I found one that went out of business. Can't remember the name, but STBNE and I rode out looking for one in Roxboro a year or so back on the way to or from grabbing a tag. It was within a block of Fox's Suzuki/Kawasaki/Triumph.

And completely agree on the subjectiveness of it.

The first time I saw the mustard crap, I almost walked out. Blasphemes!!!
  7. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Danny's in Cary and Morrisville was bad as far as I'm concerned. They did pretty much everything wrong. Except the french fries. They were good. And a couple folks from work say they have the best wings anywhere.
  8. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    a few yrs back i met some riders for a RTE to Farmboys BBQ near Columbia SC...the restaurant was family run...and all the food is homemade...they had 2 styles of Q...one was eastern style vinegar based and the other was a mustard based Q...I did sample the mustard Q and thought it was pretty good but I still prefer eastern style ofc...:deal
  9. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carolina Barbecue
    733 Highway 70 W.
    Garner, NC
    919-773-0222
    or
    877-LUV-BBQ1

http://www.cbqnc.com/

This is one of those places that if you live in the area, you've ridden by a bunch of times and it kind of catches your eye as it's just a second too late to stop. I did stop once for lunch a while back and remembered enjoying it, so we set out to make it a destination lunch.

[​IMG]

Moderate size barbecue place in the traditional long rectangle style :D
    [​IMG]

I hadn't realized that this place has been here for getting close to 50 years
    [​IMG]

Fairly traditional menu, but they also offer family style. Since it was just the two of us, we ordered from the menu:
    [​IMG]

Interior shot - long, lots of booths, plenty of seating. Bright, clean.
    [​IMG]

Table service and the first hint that I was going to like this place and that they care about doing it right was the waiter asking if we'd like some pork skins. Uh, well, you know, AMERICA!
    [​IMG]

Then, they bring your drink with a small pitcher of refills, like a good barbecue place is supposed to. Just realized that hardly anyone does this any more. I can think of two or three off the top of my head that I've been to in the last year, but it's a nice touch.
    [​IMG]

Two homemade sauces - one labeled BBQ Chicken Sauce which is wholly appropriate for the tomato-y type sauce that some folks think is what "barbecue sauce" should be. You know, the folks where long winters and Barney Frank are more the norm... And the other a spicy sauce that gets its red from chilis and spices.
    [​IMG]

I got a barbecue plate with green beans and Brunswick Stew and she got a plate with a double order of greens. Oh yeah, I ordered a regular and she ordered a large, but the waiter decided I looked hungry enough for a large and brought me one anyway - but charged me for a regular, of course...
    They bring a bowl of slaw for the table.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also are one of the few places where they still bring you corn sticks with your hush puppies. I miss these things at just about everywhere I've stopped in the last couple years.
    [​IMG]

The food: I'll usually eat a few bites of the barbecue before saucing it up, but this absolutely nailed it! I tried a few bites with their "spicy" sauce, but realized that this was among the best, if not THE best unadorned barbecue I can recall ever having. Fresh, slightly smoky, moist, spiced/seasoned perfectly. Just 100% right on the money. Every single bit confirmed it. Almost a "wait a minute, seriously?" moment with every forkful. I'm determined to eventually get to all of them in the state, but this place had me wondering if that was really necessary. The Brunswick Stew was very good, chunks of chicken, loads of veggies, good base. The green beans were good, nothing special, but what I was expecting. The slaw was utility-ish, but disappointing only in that they didn't knock it out of the park. Hush puppies were fresh, hot, not too sweet and the corn sticks were almost enough to make me want to go back strictly just because. One down note was that she said her greens were past their prime. A bit too long in the pot.

It's on a four lane road south or Raleigh, so the ride there is boring. You're going to go here for the food, not the ride.

This has moved to the Will Return Regularly section of the list. A real surprise.

Yelp reviews:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/carolina-barbecue-garner

Little woman notes:
    the bbq had the perfect amount of fat in it. no chunks but a great full flavor, the spices allowed to do their thing unimpeded by dry texture. Cooked perfectly. The hushpuppies were very good but I am hunting for the perfect puppy.... and the perfect oatmeal cookie. all around a definite go back to place.

And, well, you know:
    [​IMG]
  10. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's great to hear. I have to try it now.
  11. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely put it on the short list.
  12. turtlemoye

turtlemoye I'd rather not be online. Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty cool! Just noticed that the pledging ends in a couple days...

Being in G'boro, you have a wider variety of choices available as far as Eastern vs. Piedmont. That would be a great starting point for something like this.
  14. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review WB...i will check out Carolina BBQ...:clap
  15. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    When this craptastic weather finally clears up, I need to go eat some que, on the bike.
  16. Alanjdoc

Alanjdoc In it for FUN

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen much here on the Pic N Pig in Carthage great BBQ and fixin's good ride out to the place and it's on a small airport that adds to the appeal.
  17. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    I have heard of it and it sounds excellent ...would like to ride out there for that one too...:deal
  18. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Several folks talk about it on a few of the local tag threads as well as the eastern NC dinner thread. All good comments that I've read. It's definitely on my personal list.
  19. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't speak for this BBQ, and I doubt they smoke it or anything fancy, but the food in general at Dixie III in Asheboro, is very good. Prices are low, and lots of variety of good southern cooking. They have BBQ, but I've never tried it.

I have a new seat on my bike, that I need to put some miles on as soon as this rain stops.
  20. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I DID try the pulled pork BBQ today at Whole Foods. Lacked vinegar and pepper, but was decent. I set my expectations accordingly before eating. Veggie side options were good though. Only after I spooned a dollop of BBQ on my plate did I see the grilled tenderloin. Might have chosen differently if they were in opposite positions on the bar!

Anybody hitting up Eurobike this weekend? We could grab some Q after looking a the Eurotrash bikes on Saturday?