Dakar 2014 - Official Event Coverage - thank you all, lurkers and posters!!!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trang

Trang ... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer:
    ... Ben will have to be carefull, that his emotional desire to pass the rider immediately infront at the start, don't cause him to come to grief. :deal
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ratz! All out of Tequila and my old truck says it doesn't feel like a winter road trip, anyhow.

The stress should ease a bit by ... ohh ... Valentine's Day or so.

Or not. :lol3
  3. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by XSpearsX [​IMG]
    What a perfect recap of today. Just might have to share :)

THen there is one of the wives throwing a small fit over the men of Dakar running their mouths LoL :lol3 Anyone have a 6 pack or bottle of wine they want to bring me?

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Vodka. Definitely Vodka. :D

Though who am I to talk, it's gone up to a balmy -9 here. I might go out and get some sun... Oh wait, it's night time... :loaded
  4. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
  5. silentwolf

Oddometer:
    Hmmm - not having been... Does it seem like this is the family/civilized version of Baja? Or do they just drink less because even the fans have to make it for two weeks? :evil
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Argentina is a much more civilized country. Also the fans there are true fans, they know the racers numbers, stats, etc. They are true motorsports enthusiasts :nod

Mexico I get the feeling it's just an excuse to party, which is cool too
  7. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    I figured... but there is still one (and the last) german unaccounted for: Joerg Majoli #179 :ear
  8. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    After 9pm here... No Frankie :(
  9. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, looking ahead a few hours
    (sorry about the offsets - too hard to fix)
    I think I'm gonna leave the well being of our Dakar racers in your capable hands and crash shortly.
    Bonne nuit.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="out"><table class="item_course"><tbody><tr><td class="bg_speciale">Car</td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale">Truck</td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale">Bike</td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale">Quad</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="out"><table><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="beige uppercase">connection</td></tr><tr><td class="beige_speciale_distance">Distance</td><td class="beige_speciale_distance">Schedule</td></tr><tr><td class="out"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>292 km</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>292 km</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>292 km</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>292 km</dd></td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="out"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>06:08 - 10:38</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>08:28 - 13:08</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>04:30 - 08:30</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>04:30 - 08:30</dd></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="out"><table><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="uppercase">special stage</td></tr><tr><td class="beige_speciale_distance">Distance</td><td class="beige_speciale_distance">Schedule</td></tr><tr><td class="out"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>301 km</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>301 km</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>373 km</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>373 km</dd></td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="out"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>10:48 - 14:18</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>13:18 - 17:18</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>08:40 - 13:40</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_speciale in_tab"><dd>08:40 - 13:40</dd></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="out"><table><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="beige uppercase">connection</td></tr><tr><td class="beige_speciale_distance">Distance</td><td class="beige_speciale_distance">Schedule</td></tr><tr><td class="out"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>3 km</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>3 km</dd></td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="out"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>14:28 - 14:35</dd></td></tr><tr><td class="bg_liaison in_tab"><dd>17:28 - 17:35</dd></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
  10. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In good time, will you be able to find out what happened to these guys? :ear
  11. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a late start for the bikes, eh? At least they can get a little bit of rest.
  12. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:

with all the social media out there you'd figure these guys have a fb page like a lot of other riders....NOT.......
  13. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the first column is shifted up, 4:30 start
  14. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Is there a 2 hour penalty for hitting the twelve hour mark?
  15. silentwolf

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with a civilized party :freaky

and there is no argument based on this video:

They've gone all out - better than some of the hyped up stuff I've seen broadcast for events here. Granted it's probably a hollow stage set mockup, but they've got a Mini on set. They're SERIOUS. :eek1
    Wow. I really need to get up on my spanish.

I like the segment about halfway through where they ask about childhood aspirations. Nasser mentions watching the Dakar at 16 - saying his dad hopes he'll race it one day... no pressure. :D

Time to go silent. Early roll call.
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Not that I have ever heard of....
  17. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com photos posted to facebook from stage 2.

#4 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#2 - MARC COMA (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#22 - ALAIN DUCLOS (FRA) [SHERCO]
    [​IMG]

#5 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ CONTARDO (CHL) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#17 - MICHAEL METGE (FRA) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#6 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#3 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

a few more in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose if you're interested.
  18. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    sorry - I had too: your pic made me read it wrong...
  19. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Hopefully that would be the worst of it :D

I'm only asking because I was poking around micha's tracker, looking for long lost italians, and I noticed everyone on my list who cracked the twelve hour mark had at least 2 hours in penalties.. unless I've got the cart before the horse, and the penalties put them at twelve hours...

Have basically only had time to catch up to here beyond doing the dad things, so I fear I am getting snowballed, and its only day 2!
  20. Phil_Ammendolia

Phil_Ammendolia The Game Has Changed.

Oddometer:
    This didn't translate perfectly, but sums it up pretty well for Cyril...

"I arrived a little too quickly on a note in the road book at around kilometre 250 and went over the handlebars. Fortunately it was a soft landing so the bike wasn’t damaged but it took me a while to dust myself down and get going again and inevitably I lost time. Overall a day to forget."

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.