The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed the DRC Edge2 LED taillight tonight, cleaned up the rear nicely and is much lighter than the stock setup. Took about 1 1/2 hour since its a custom install but well worth it.

[​IMG]
    DRC Edge2 LED Taillight by Guerillah, on Flickr
  2. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's the same brand and model. Set up for my weight and riding style. With adjustment if necessary. I have to pay to ship it to them, but otherwise no charge.

I called them and ordered it on November 5th or 6th and got it today December 5 - about 30 days and that includes time off for Thanksgiving. They told me that they had already built a few for others.

Sorry, the garage is closed for the night, but I'll get ya some numbers tomorrow.

:ricky
  3. CRFSoCal

CRFSoCal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which mount for the drc did you order? Also do you have anymore pics?
  4. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
    Lost roadie dude - Your pics are stunning! Thanks for sharing.
  5. CRFSoCal

CRFSoCal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am going to order some 1 1/8 handle bars and the highway dirt bike adapters and Handguards. What are the stock dimensions on the triple clamp is it 100mm x 33mm?
  6. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Overall length, eye2eye = 15 9/16"
  7. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    Please do very interested in both the damper and especially the rear shock - thanks!
  8. goondock

goondock Adventurer

Oddometer:

yep top clamp 100x33/35mm bolt pattern
  9. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    "length" of the XR400R folding shifter from center line of shaft to center line of the folding tip is 5 5/8", the "offset" from the C/L of the pinchbolt to the inside surface of the shifter that faces the alternator cover is 1 5/8"
  10. Guerillah

Oddometer:
    I ordered the KLX250 kit, you will have to drill new holes in the mounting plate, solder 3 wires, get two longer M6 bolts, two longer M8 bolts, and a bunch of washers for each. I mounted it further back than the guy who did the DIY early on in this thread, saved me forming plastic and it looks like it is OEM still. I have more pics, I will have to upload them to the server later when I get home.

Thanks
  11. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

Rick here from Cogent Dynamics. I owned a CRF230 dirt only bike that I loved as a woods bike, traded it in for the KLX 250 that we now own and have modified to suit. I still miss the tight woods performance and the lower height of our old 230. Any how, we had the honor of building a custom shock for a customers 2013 CRF230 L a couple weeks back. It has been delivered and installed on that bike and we know that the shock fit correctly as well as seems to work well (we are still awaiting details of further performance testing to make sure we have the performance we expect). I am wondering if there is any other interest in these types of shocks as a regular product from Cogent and if so, what people are looking for regarding features and performance. The shock we have built is similar in design to our Moab shock for the KLR. The Customer we are working with is interested in improved off road performance and matching the shock to a longer travel fork at some point. Are we correct in assuming that there are riders looking to improve the load capacity of the bikes suspension as well as improving the on-road capabilities?

We are interested in making improvements on the stock forks for these bikes but need a set to look at for a dyno work-up.

What about lowering options?

We would be very interested in the groups input with comments or experience.

Thank you
  12. Guerillah

Oddometer:
    Glad to have you in this thread Rick!

I for one am interested in the rear shock, mostly for off-roading purposes... the stock setup is wayyy too soft. Is the price expected to be the same as your KLR moab? Once you get the front fork setup figured out I may be interested in that as well. Thanks!
  13. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    I am very interesested in increased off road performance, I bought the bike primarlly to do ride off road - especially for light adventure off road/dual track camping and easy single track - think TAT, Back country discovery routes...
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  14. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Yup, you speak the truth, Rick @Cogent did the front and rear suspension on my FJR. Great company to work with and he certainly knows his stuff. He's just down the road from Ohlins Corporate in Hendersonville NC.

Highly recommended.
  15. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Speak of the devil! :D

I'm interested as well Rick, my criteria would be increasing the load capacity the rear spring, increasing the damping with a bonus of adjustability (preferably rebound). Stock height is great for me. I'm not looking for race performance. This isn't a race bike, it a rather porkulent trail bike :D

I'm not asking for that much, my over-riding concern for a replacement rear shock would be price. It just doesn't make any sense to spend a fifth of the cost of the bike on a high end Ohlins setup. But if you can get close to a $500 price point I'd definitely be interested.

I don't find the front that bad at all even when pushed. Everything can be made better for sure, but it doesn't scream out for attention like the rear unit does, at least to me.

Looking for a rebuild of my Ohlins on my FJR in the spring. We'll be in touch!
  16. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Hi, Rick. :wave.

Good to see you hereabouts. Super happy with your shock. Still need to rope the wife into helping measure the sag. I'll post here and send you an email when I get them.

Byron
  17. dsn11487

dsn11487 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes Rick interested in more off-road performance and adjust ability. Not concerned with changing stock height or dimensions, just beefier components. Agree on the price RaceTech is a bit of a turn off since a rear setup is close to $800 which doesn't make a lot of sense. Don't need a kick butt MX bike, but just mainly single track adventure touring.
  18. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warm welcome, here's a pic of my bike:

[​IMG]

I got mine from the Honda dealership here in Winston-Salem, NC. They put the FMF muffler on it. Aside from that, it's pretty much a stock bike. Eventually I'd like to clean up the tail end, all that crap hanging down off the back fender is kind of janky looking. Racks for day/weekend trippin' are in my future as well. Since I haven't ridden in so long I've got to get the basics before I can really start planning bigger upgrades. First on the list is a good pair of cold weather gloves, it was cold out there this morning (38 degrees) on my ride to work.

I figure I should post a pic now, a guy I work with has 80 acres near Pilot Mountain. I'm heading up to ride with him this weekend, I will probably dump the bike at some point. It won't be shiny and new after happens...

I have a technical question:
    When I'm riding 50+mph the bike doesn't seem all that stable, the front end feels fairly loose. Would this be due to the the knobby front tire and relatively small size of the bike? Right now, I don't know if I'd be comfortable getting on the interstate. All of the street riding I've done in the past has been on bigger bikes, CBR600's and what not, so I don't have a frame of reference as for what to expect. I realize it's not going to ride like a street bike and I don't plan on doing any significant highway riding so it's not a huge issue, mainly just my own curiosity.
    thanks,

Cory
  19. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    Did the dealer set the rear suspension sag correctly? It will cause instability if its not set correctly. Tire pressure? Setting ride(race) sag and static sag would be my first area I would check. This should be done when you get the bike. These measurements will also help determine if the spring rate is correct for your weight.

Otherwise it's kind of the nature of the beast.

:beer
  20. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer: