Slash 2

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by danedg, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    ...I'll add for safety purposes, what some consider an update to these machines w/ a 'modern' more aggressive brake lining should rethought out. They're trying to squeeze 20 kilos of food in a 10 kilo bag. The design of the brakes both mechanically and material wise is not always user friendly to brake lining composition changes.

Carl
  2. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Not everyone is a kool-aid drinker.

What does that mean? Where did that expression originate?
  3. Detroit Steve

Detroit Steve Homely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    drums have been turned and shoes have been arced to for superior performance in drum braked automotive applications for years. On a /2 it is a safety hazard?

Maybe somebody doesn't own a brake shoe arcing machine.:D
  4. danedg

Oddometer:
    There's too much hearsay and second hand smoke clouding the air on these BMW pre-70 technical items.

Precisely the reason for starting this thread. I've spent 1000's of hours sifting through the hoohaa, and reading everyone's comments regarding this and that, and have come to realize that there are truly only about 7 people on the planet that really know what they are talking about. Craig Vechorik is one of 'em.
    I am not. But I'm hoping to cut through some of the hoopla, to make it easier for the 4th hand owner, such as myself, to easier understand and appreciate these bikes.
    I welcome, all the input and knowledge that the participants in this thread have to offer. I stand corrected most of the time, but I put myself in that position on purpose, to jumpstart a conversation that might never have happened, or to clear up some deep dark mystery, that's as plain as the nose on your face.
    I'm glad to know that it is possible to freshen up the front drum on my bike. Perhaps Craig misunderstood my question. Maybe the right question wasn't asked. But I'd thought long and hard about it.
    It seemed like an eternity the other day as I whiteknuckled that bike to a safe stop around the codger trying to kill me. I had plenty of time to contemplate the feeble friction coefficient, to wonder how much better the brake would be, if the drum and shoe were in tip top shape. Heck , I even had time to regret owning a motorcycle with such a primitive braking system, at the very instant that I could've REALLY used 4 discs and ABS...I'd just replaced the front brake cable, and was very happy about that!
    So I thought I'd mention my experience on my own thread, maybe try to clarify some thoughts and recommendations on how to cope with /2 brakes in a modern driving situation. Heck, if I'd asked that question over on Yahoo/ 2, I'm sure I would have gotten some crusty old fart to call me an idiot, if I'd gotten an answer at all....:ear
  5. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:

fyi - you could fit yours with a dual disc. I just took such a system off of mine and went back to an original front wheel.
  6. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Any pictures?
  7. danedg

Oddometer:
    Tell us more!:ear
  8. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    pretty nice custom installation by the prior owner in Japan. basically an early 70's Kawasaki setup with a /5 master cylinder under the tank. the calipers bolt to brackets welded to the underside of the swingarm.

Attached Files:

9. Ze Red Baron

Ze Red Baron Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    Wow. better practice that one at low speed. Those used to grabbing all the front brake they can get might find themselves flying over the handlebars:eek1:lol3
  10. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    That looks like something I might have to add to my vw conversion if I ever get it going.
  11. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    it stopped better than it accelerated. :D
  12. danedg

Oddometer:

That's sumthin' you don't hear often about a /2!:lol3
  13. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    another item you may not see every day.

Attached Files:

14. danedg

Oddometer:
    It reads, Made in Germany. East or West?:D
    Interesting bike bergermeister. Another one with no pinstripes. I'm really getting fond of that look!
  15. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:

I've had a few inquiries from guys running hacks to buy the system. I guess they want to add all that weight and stop. :lol3
  16. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    When I said that if I soup up the VW engine, I'd be outriding my poor brake system, my brother said, "I don't understand. It's not like you'd be giving it gas and brake at the same time." :lol3
  17. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:

if nothing else, it is more well traveled than I am. this bike was first shipped to Tripoli, then eventually made it to Japan, then to N. Cal where i bought it from the widow of the owner about 8 yrs ago. now I'm stuck constantly converting the km's to mph's in my head. :D

I have been told that it has a custom seat bracket. apparently it is a bit lower. I like the relation to the tank and rear fender.
  18. danedg

Oddometer:
    now I'm stuck constantly converting the km's to mph's in my head.

I don't trust the speedo. Though I've checked against some others, it seems OK.
    I do it by rpm's...:D
  19. danedg

Oddometer:
    My detail refers not to my motorcycle or attitude, but to my survival skills of the last year and a half. Not one but two, heart attacks and an insect bite that resulted in anaphylactic shock while riding, have made me a firm believer in being "Horizontally Opposed", as in "Not Dead Yet"...
    I'm looking forward to many more miles.
  20. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    That would take a week's explanation, or better yet, none at all.