Bear Spray vs. Wasp/Hornet Spray???

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Englishmatt, Jun 26, 2011.

1. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Alot of folks worry about the border crossing with spray. You can always buy it up here. We gots a lot of stuff the first world has. :wink:
  2. dougfromindy

dougfromindy I smell premix

Oddometer:
  3. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let us know how good it works.
  4. mike2010

mike2010 n00b

Oddometer:
    Wasp spray for self defense and as an animal attack deterrent is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Pepper Spray & Bear Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans or animals. In fact, the EPA recommends Bear Spray, which is a proven tool used by Wildlife and Law Enforcement Professionals Worldwide. Quit spreading this stupid wasp spray myth before somebody gets hurt or worse killed!
  5. 75bronco

75bronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    My2cents. On a few occasions, after a few beers, i have tried to shoot wasp, with wasp spray, facing INTO the wind. I am not sure wether its the beers or the spray, but i felt absolutely...zilch, nada, nothing. Then again, after chopping a few hot peppers, without washing my hands, I put my contacts in, HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKIN GOD WHO PUT THE RED HOT POKER IN MY EYE,, I lay on the ground for half an hour moaning like a little girl. There,,,,real life examples.
  6. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Nothing like real life experiance !:rofl
  7. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ain't no one got no imagination?

Bear spray in the right holster, Wasp spray in the left. Then you're ready for either critter.

Good enuf fur the Lone Ranger is good enuf fur me!:lol3
  8. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not only can you,...but now, you have too,.....

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Hiker+fined+bear+spray/5183679/story.html

A new Parks Canada rule that makes bear spray mandatory on one Banff hiking trail has claimed its first victim.
    Korean student Han Kang received a $400 fine after he was caught July 17 without bear spray on the Lake Minnewanka Trail.
    Kang pleaded guilty in Canmore provincial court this week to the offence, along with not being in a group of four hikers, another restriction on the trail.

Contravening the National Park Act regulation results in a mandatory court appearance and a fine of up to $25,000.

Kinda makes that $6.95 can of wasp spray, a bit of a false economy now doesn't it. :lol3
  9. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, but a reminder (especially to the past post) is that this WAS NOT about saving a few $$$ on Wasp Spray vs. Bear Spray, tt was more about the idea of "I'd been told about it, so was there anything to it?".

After coming back from my trip and riding through BC, where we saw so many bears it got boring, the point is kinda mute...bear spray it is, every time!!!

FWIW, the border guards asked every time "Where we carrying Bear Spray?"....and even asked to see the container. We crossed back and forth from the US to CA about six (6) times.

Thanks again...

Matt.
  10. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    You answered your own question. Glad you had an incident free trip. I brought Bear Spray for our trip to Alaska. Still have it. Un-used.
  11. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    What about a Beer spray? I would buy one :freaky
  12. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta watch out for the beers actually, pretty fierce in mating season. This is on a t-shirt I have;

[​IMG]
  13. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    If you're going somewhere bears actually are you'd be crazy to try and save $30. Sort of like not wearing a helmet when you ride since you've never needed one yet.

Bear spray is a lifesaver. Bears are predators, a running man is a target.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay I have some first hand experience seeing a problem brown bear being pepper sprayed at the camp ground beside the Eagle plains hotel on the Dempster this June. The camp ground attendent sprayed the bear in the face from about 20 ft, guess what the bear did? He just shook his head and kept walking around looking at all the campers. So the attendent sprayed him a second time from about 15ft and it produced the same reaction which was almost like the bear was not spryed at all!!! So 10 minutes later the attendent came out with a rifle and that put an end to the bear spray issue.
    So I do not have a good opinion of bear spray effectivness!!

Cal
  15. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    If you were in sight of someone discharging bear spray and didn't suffer any consequences then they weren't using bear spray.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was a 100meters away and up wind so did not suffer, being Canadian and living near bears for all my life I dont see why there is such a big deal about bear spray? I quess its the new culture of fear that the government and media is trying to lay on us all! If it makes you feel safe great.
  17. Grimlock

Grimlock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How soon does bear spray expire?
    I have to buy some for a trip next week, and I'd like to not to have to get a new can for a couple years at least ... guess I can just leave it with the people I'm going with who head out in to bear country more often than I'm likely to.
    Or I could wait 'til it's almost expired then use it on my eggs. :)
  18. Fogell

Fogell n00b

Oddometer:
    Man I feel lied to now! All this time I felt that Bear mace was the baddest of all the sprays and now your telling me that it does not work Cal? What a bummer...
  19. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm - I didnt see bears listed on wasp / Hornet spray label. Its a very mild (0.4% active ingredient synthetic pyrethroid) neurotoxin formulated for insects (Hymenoptera specifically) that works quickly on a 0.1 gram bug - wouldnt think so good on a 500+ lb bear. It will likely burn eyes & mucosal tissue - (more from petroleum distillates than insecticide) but absurd to think it will be IMMEDIATELY effective for large, potentially dangerous mammals. Bear spray (as long as its labeled specifically for BEARS) is fine in Canada - no issues. I have been victim of an "idiotic discharge" (Thankfully NOT a .45!) by 2% UDAP spray being tested by my brother in a 25 mph wind. (BTW: only good for about 20' in moderate "facing" wind) DOH !! Only consolation, he was more seriously affected than I. I can tell you it's quite effective (even just the disbursed mist - not full on cloud) in its capacity to incapacitate. I was very docile for about 10 mins. - Though fraticide was a consideration after. There are numerous articles on fallacy of wasp spray for bears. I would encourage anyone so inclined, to read & heed, before deciding if thats a good idea. TTFN, j:deal
  20. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've visited Canada several times in the past two years and been asked whether I was carrying pepper spray every time. No mention of bear spray, so I said, "No." My bear spray, which I got at REI, says, "Made in Canada".