Z1000

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Gregster, Nov 18, 2007.

1. O-man21

O-man21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First pic of the bike. Can't wait until it warms up.

[​IMG]
  2. ///Monster

///Monster Does it have wheels?

Oddometer:

Looks like maybe a Corbin seat and rear seat also. Looks like a sweet bike.

As far as mileage goes. I have 37,000 miles. But my bike has a rebuilt motor, new frame, new tank, and one rebuild on the front fork. Strangely it's never been down.
  3. O-man21

O-man21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

If you look carefully, there are no front turn signals on the bike.

Anyone know a decent set I can get and install myself? The PO cut the stock ones off, but the wire connections are still there.
  4. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:

Any of your basic shorty stalks will mount right up on the front, just being the fairing. There are 2 little brackets. I've got a set of cheap carbon-fiber look ones and they work fine.

Did they tint the actual taillight green or just the plate light? Throw up a pic and I'll help you out. I may have swap parts sitting around.
  5. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    Not a Corbin. Its an aftermarket cover over the stock seat. Corbin has a much different shape.
  6. O-man21

O-man21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is still at the dealer, picking it up Friday when i don't have work and can take my Dad's truck to get it, the roads are too sandy. So.... no pics.

Could you throw a couple pictures up of your front turns? Specifically the brackets you're talking about. I think the PO of mine cut the brackets off. I don't really care what they look like, just so they they function and are installed cleanly.

I did go back this morning to examine the taillight, and it's actually just a green lens. The lights are red LEDs with the turn signals being yellow LEDs. I'm actually ok with the taillight now, I was under the impression the actual lights were green as well.

It is missing a license plate bracket and plate light, which I would like to add.
  7. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    For what you paid, I'd make them ante up the money to fix the turn signals. That's the least they could do. The TS sets are about $15 a set, and the plate brackets are about $20. If they tell you otherwise, they can stuff it.

The front lights bolt onto 2 holes right behind the fairing. The tabs are part of the main fairing stay, so if the guy cut them, I would wonder what other hacking he did, and take my money back from the dealer, since you haven't actually taken delivery.

I'll grab some pics when my wife gets home, so I can use her DSLR.

Also, check the taillight, its probably integrated.

Here is what a very clean, well sorted Z goes for.

http://www.z1000forum.com/forum/mot...2003-kawasaki-z1000-blazing-pearl-orange.html
  8. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    Got one with my phone that isn't too bad. Under the rubber grommet is a tab that is welded directly to the main fairing stay. That's where the TS mounts to.

[​IMG]
  9. O-man21

O-man21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'll take some pictures Friday, not like there is a rush to get it on the road anytime soon.
  10. ///Monster

Oddometer:
    You're right. The Corbin does look different. The fabric looks similar but the stiching is different and the corbin usually comes with piping on the seams.

The seat covers still look cool though.
  11. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    Not only is that Z gorgeous, but you can take some wicked pics!

What rig are you using?
  13. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Canon T3i, Canon 10-22mm, Manfrotto compact series tripod, and a remote trigger.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
  14. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to my former Z1k http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20144871&postcount=105

The turn signals are Oberon's IIRCC they were a C note for the pair. They were LED's that flashed front and rear. I can't remeber what integrated taillight I used or the LED flasher I installed to make them flash at the proper rate.

The fronts are tough to see in the pics as they are pretty small, like smaller than my thumb. But they were bright as all get out.

Back when I had her the forum I frequented for tips/tricks was Rider Forums, the Z1000 forum was not very well used back then, may have changed. Search on Rider Forum and you can find the taillight as well as the LED flasher reference. Enjoy your new bike:freaky
  15. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    Is that straight shooting or did you run it through an HDR program?
  16. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    That's one beautiful Z!

What did you use to paint the grey plastic bits black? I'm looking at doing the same thing.
  17. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate HDR. Hate it.

I shoot RAW and develop in Lightroom. That's it. No Photoshop.

here's a cropped version of the photo posted above.

This is a 4 second exposure.

[​IMG]
    2013 Kawasaki Z1000 by Southwade, on Flickr
  18. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    The long exposure explains the vivid colors. Either way, man they look great!
  19. ///Monster

Oddometer:

Maybe it's because I've been doing a lot of puzzles lately but I saw that and thought all of the different textures, colors, and patterns in that photo would make a nice puzzle.
  20. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I miss her pretty bad sometimes.

I painted the side covers with a rattle can. I can't remember if it was Duplicolor or Krylon formulated for plastics that was Black, not gloss or flat, just Black. I LIGHTLY scuffed them with a 3M green pad as in no real scratches, wipped them off with some alcohol and then a tack cloth. Then applied several light coats of paint. Patience is the key with the rattle can job, I would put a coat on in the morning before work and another when I got home. Did that about three or four days in a row. I was pretty pleased with the way they came out and several folks commented that it looked like it came from the factory that way (I doubt it was that good but it was nice to hear).

Just noticed your need for a plate bracket. After I went with the integrated taillight I found a bracket at a local dealer that mounts on the rear axle bolt, you can see that in the pics too. I never put a light on it, mostly because I try to not ride after dark, it's deer city where I live and pretty dicey after dark. I thought that if I ever did get busted I'd get a truck box light to velcro on it. I can't find a link to one but I saw them at Lowe's. Looks like a little Princetontec headlamp.