Tiger 800/800XC tail/brake light upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by pilot3, Oct 31, 2012.

1. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Currently paid on this group:

Dirtmonkey8
    backwoodsKLR
    SteveL
    Meles meles
    Vzuke
    JWalton

Pending:

nikonll
    Beavers
    rfmorris

Hoping for parts by mid-January and shipping out a few days after that. And, I'll use more tape on the shipping boxes.
  2. Boro128

Boro128 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best upgrade I have purchased for any of my motorcycles. Well done!
  3. Ronin1

Ronin1 Hoonigan

Oddometer:
    Nice piece of kit, job well done!

Jim
  4. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I got mine installed. A very nice piece of work. Thanks for producing these.
  5. pilot3

Oddometer:
    OK the next group of parts will arrive this week. I hope to have them shipped out by next Monday at the latest.

Paid and on the list:

Dirtmonkey8
    backwoodsKLR
    SteveL
    Meles meles
    Vzuke
    JWalton
    Beavers
    rfmorris

I've not heard from:

nikonll

If no contact from him by shipping time, I'll have another available.

p3
  6. fireman297

fireman297 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM pilot. Looking forward to hearing back. I love the light and great job hooking everyone up.
  7. pilot3

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  8. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to say thanks & post this pic. This was taken with the key on. It's obvious how much brighter pilot3's light is even before you hit the brakes. Thanks pilot3 :clap

[​IMG]
  9. pilot3

Oddometer:
    I am shipping the last group this afternoon to:

Dirtmonkey8
    backwoodsKLR
    SteveL
    Meles meles
    Vzuke
    JWalton
    Beavers
    rfmorris

FYI for the next buyers: When I picked up the light assemblies for the above group, I was told there was a 2013 price increase of $4 so for future purchases, the new price will be $124.

Here is the start of the next group:

andykeck

p3
  10. Beavers

Beavers n00b

Oddometer:
    Installed mine tonight.

I have to say I'm impressed with the quality...and the thing is bright as hell :eek1
  11. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed mine today. Very easy to install. Making a channel for the wire was the most difficult part. And by difficult I mean not very. I didn't have a Moto Tool handy so I just used a rat tail file. Doesn't take much filing on the lip to give the wire some clearance.

I didn't even bother fiddling with that white connector clip. Once you stuff all those wires back down in there, they aren't going anywhere. I guess you could wrap a tie wrap around them all if you were worried.

One of these days I'm going to remove that brace that separates the "storage" area from the rear section. That's valuable storage space back there! You would have to relocate that one electronic doohickey though. It has "UP" embossed on the top so I'm assuming that is the tip over/shut off device? I also wonder if it has to remain in that same left/right posture. If you turned it 90 degrees and mounted it to the side then did a wheelie or a stoppie, would the bike shut down? Sorry, just thinking out loud.

I mounted my light a little different. I trimmed a 1/2" wide piece of 3M foam tape down to about 3/8" and ran it over the entire length of the light. I went ahead and installed the light with the rubber gasket just showing from the top. Then put the stock light back in. I do have faith in the 3M tape on a smooth surface but I'm leery of that rough plastic. I'll give it a try. You do have an option of making an aluminum L bracket and mounting the light with some hardware. The LED light chassis has two threaded holes in the back of it. If I had an XC and was going to be bouncing down a trail I might think about that.

I forgot about the feature of the momentary pulsing light once you apply the brake. It does get your attention. Did anyone mention this sucker is BRIGHT!?

[​IMG]
  12. pilot3

Oddometer:
    I will assure you that the 3M adhesive will not come off under any riding conditions. It is over 50# psi of holding strength. As long as you prepped the areas clean, you will be hard pressed to even pull it off by hand.

Glad you got it all set up. Enjoy!
  13. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Everyone from the last groups has been delivered so I am ready to start another batch. I got some PM's with requests and a few people missed out on the last one. Post up or PM me and I'll start the next list.

p3
  14. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pilot,
    Put me down for one. I don't do Pay Pal but when the time comes just PM me your address and I will send another form of payment.

Thanks
  15. pilot3

Oddometer:
    The list has started. I will probably close this order out around the middle of February.

burmbuster

p3
  16. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfect timing. I plan on doing my turn signals about that time as well. Thanks for sharing the great product!
  17. JWalton

JWalton How do I wheelie?

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Awesome kit!! :clap
  18. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    Finally got time to install this item...

Only took a trip to Lowe's and an extra set of hands! :D. Trip to lowes was for a magnet to get the dropped screw, you know the one you warn us about in the instructions! Got it all back together and rode over to a friends house just after dark. He walked up as I parked and yelled, "That brake light is obnoxious and I LIKE IT!!!" :D
  19. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Ok while doing an install of a PDM60 I did this which opens up the area where the screw falls. . Remove the license plate and that will expose 2 bolts. Remove those bolts and the two vertical bolts directly above the rear tire and that bottom plate comes right out. Faster to get the dropped screw than magneting for it.

Glad everyone is liking the light.

p3
  20. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    We had claw and magnet and had zero trouble getting it with magnet. Great product and great instructions! :clap