How do I rescue key trapped under seat?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by d-squared, Dec 7, 2012.

1. d-squared

d-squared Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am a moron:tb. While removing my tool kit from underneath my seat I inadvertently set the key down somewhere inside. Of course I popped the seat back on. I don't have the spare - lost that one a long time ago. Has anybody ever tried to get under the seat without their starter key? Anybody? Beuller? Its an 08 ADV.
  2. Cuse

Cuse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sucks!!! Try tipping it to one side and lifting the side of the seat to see if it will slide out. Or try a chainsaw and buy a new seat. Hope you get it out.
  3. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    A locksmith may be your best bet. Load the bike up and take it to their office to avoid the charges for them coming to you. With the VIN or the number off the lock they might be able to make a key for you.

You may call the KTM dealer and see if they know what is needed to get a new key cut. They may have access to bike info that would provide key numbers for a locksmith, if they can't do it for you. At least they could sell you a KTM key blank. Otherwise I think the locksmith will use a Triumph key blank, as I was told when getting my spare keys made that they use the same blank.

Any other way you try to get under there might be destructive. Check parts prices on the ones you might have to cut and weigh that against the locksmith quote.

Either way, get a couple of spare keys made. Keep one in the wallet and one in the house or shop.

Good luck.
  4. d-squared

d-squared Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the chainsaw advice but i'm not at the nuclear option yet. I'll try the dealer this morning and see what they suggest. I have the key number, but I'm not sure what good that will do me.
  5. 6732cash

6732cash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you not buy the correct key on the chassis number from KTM
  6. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to dealer or riding buddy with same/similar model bike. Look under seat at the latch. Take notes/pics on where to cut or melt a slot through the fender plastic relative to the right hand mounting bolt so you can trip the latch bar.

Trip the bar, fill the slot with JB weld or tape over for future use.
  7. Murray75

Murray75 Rookie

Oddometer:
    Disclaimer: I'm usually drinkin' when I wrench :freaky so what comes next could be a bunch of BS but...

Isn't the seat latch a simple cable pull? Turn the key on the side panel, that pulls on the seat latch to unlock? That's what I remember from when I had mine apart last. So, I know you can't get the side panel off due to the screws at the top which are under the seat but I think you could remove the bolts you have access to and then pull the side panel outward enough to get a stubby socket or screwdriver behind the lock mechanism and remove it from the side panel. At that point just pull on the cable to release the seat. No?

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...
  8. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reach up under the panel with a needle nose plier and grab the cable and twist it or pull it. That will work as I've done that myself a few times. When you get it open make a copy and then zip tie it onto the frame somewhere inconspicuous so you'll have it for those times you lose a key.

Gregor
  9. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    Sort of like dropping your guitar pick down through the sound hole... just flip it upside-down and shake it 'till if falls out. No problem. :D
  10. d-squared

d-squared Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unless i can jimmy the wire lock I'm screwed. The dealer explained that i need my ORANGE KEY to get a copy made. Otherwise, it will cost me about a million dollars to re-program the computer and get a new key - or some crazy-ass tale. I never received my orange master key. I didn't know i should have received one. Naturally, my dealer says it was provided (it wasn't). The dealer says he's willing to have his service guys tear down the bike to get to it.
    This orange key business is pretty inconvenient - especially when u realize you don't have one. What a crock! I'm grabbing a beer and headed to the garage. Somethings gotta give. This is one morning I should have stayed in bed. :permazot
  11. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did this once while on a trip in the middle of nowhere. I was able to pry the Corbin seat up enough to see that I left the key right on top and got it with a piece of wire. Now my seat lock is modified so I can open it with any key or screwdriver.
  12. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look in your briefcase that came with the bike.

It's true- it'd be cheaper to cut the seat in half than to have another key made.
  13. d-squared

d-squared Adventurer

Oddometer:
    special thanks to sakurama and murray75. I just jail broke the lock using their advice. it didn't take that long. Needed an extra hand to hold the shroud and the flashlight - after removing all the bolts. Had to disassemble the lock. Nothing broken - just my spirit, temporarily. All back together. :D

Thanks guys.
  14. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's both great and disappointing that its so easy right?

Gregor
  15. d-squared

d-squared Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it wasn't THAT easy. I guess if someone wants to steal my seat without the key, or re-map my bike without my knowledge when i'm parked at gas station buying some beef jerky, I guess I'm screwed. :rofl
  16. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, a lock smith could pick the seat lock in a few minutes.
  17. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Did you get your manuals & stuff in the briefcase-like thingy? Maybe check all the pockets in that to see if there's an orange key in there? (Doh! 205!)
  18. Sacal

Sacal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't you just need the plastic keycode card to get a new key made from the dealer? I thought the orange key was just for programming the new key to the immobiliser......
  19. Portman

Portman Portman

Oddometer:
    I don't think your dealer is correct. AFAIK the 2008 and earlier bikes did not come with an orange key. This was only introduced with the 2009 on MY when the immobiliser was also fitted.

However, glad to know you've solved the problem.
  20. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn dude, sorry to hear that. Where your ABS (if you have that) there is a little water drainage, might be worth getting a bendable magnet and fishing it up there, hopefully you can connect with it and then with some pliers pry them out the hole... Or I would immediately order up a new ABS bucket and start cutting (carefully).

And FYI, the dealer gave me three keys, 2 black 1 orange. That's BS if they only gave you 1. They also gave me a "READY TO RACE" shitty briefcase/backpack, if they gave you something like that check the pockets.

Good luck, hope you get it out.