Does the bike I really want exist

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by drdfblackm, May 20, 2013.

1. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok....does anyone in AZ want to let me test ride their bike.:rofl

I can give references......just need to ride for a bit.

I have rode XR650R and know that I am fine with them....just have had magic button for so long don't know if I want to give it up.
  2. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Between the LC4E and the 690R, and putting 'bulletproofness' high on the list I'd go with the older LC4. It has a wider spread with the tranny despite only having 5 speeds. Reliability isn't in the same ball park; factory KTM 690 riders don't use their FI system for a reason.

Loneriders thoughts on the FE570 are interesting...I'm hearing more and more stories of 70 deg motors being more reliable than they were intended to be. If it passed the bullet proof test, you are worlds ahead in the suspension department! Wonder how having a rekluse would help the "tractorability" department...
  3. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Rekluse auto clutch helps avoid stalling and effectively "widens" the ratios on the 5sp gearbox. Because it allows you to run higher speed sprockets while still allowing a seemingly low enough 1st gear for trails. Mine is the most consistent starting bike I've owned and is really easy to kick over once you learn the procedure. Plus the XR650R is 40lbs lighter than the LC4!
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I put a Seat Concepts tall seat on my DR,its pretty dang tall. Lots of room between me and the ground.

But if you've had 3 DR's then maybe that's it for those.

I agree the KLR is a wallow hog even compared to a DR which is not exactly light on it's feet.

Like me you may need 4 bikes to cycle through to keep you happy,if boredom of any sort sets in I only have to hop on the 530 for a day and boredom is forgotten quickly,that bike never ceases to amaze me at what it will do . A 690 might be fun though.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Last I checked a XR650R was 288 dry,with out any street legal bits and protective parts,or bigger tank.
    I know Honda claims lighter,they always do.

Kicking one on a hot day on the side of a steep hill with a hot carb and engine is fun to watch,but Im done with that sort of thing.
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 640E is 325 pounds tank empty but with all the lights, tools, spares, heavy duty skid plate, enduro bag, centerstand, etc. The only non standard things are the buddy pegs aren't on it, a Renazco seat and I run the competition muffler rather than the stock Supertrapp.

That is weighing it not going by specs. If I dropped the tool kit and enduro bag plus the spare shifter, tire iron and inflation kit under the seat it would probably be at or just under 320 pounds. But all in the way I typically ride it with a full four gallons of gas on board it weighs almost exactly 350 pounds.
  7. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Id rather not weigh my DR and just live in ignorance,skidplate,brush gaurds,bigger tank,etc other add on bits.
    Its a tank no two ways about it,but a lovable tank that refuses to quit.

The plus is when I hop on my 200XCW for a good singletrack ride after thrashing the DR on a 700 mile jaunt.
    200 feels like a toy,which it pretty much is.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive got an idea that would save you money,when you put your "pivot" leg out just bend it a little,I watch the guys at Erzeberg and when they put their legs out it's more like they're walking and pushing with their legs rather then straight legging it.

You have pivot legs on both sides or ? I just have regular legs one per side.
  9. drdfblackm

Oddometer:
    Hahahahaha.....I sent you a PM Foot dragger.

Just one leg per side. You know I did try and modify how I was riding a bit and well old habits are hard to break.

As you said in a previous post I do feel that I need a long distance off roader and a single track bike....that is a given. That is why I had my Husky TXC511, and also why I bought this DR650. Honestly it has been years since riding a DR650 and it is my own fault for getting into this build and then riding it rather than the other way around, but once again, I love building and moving on...it is a disease or curse or whatever.

The PM I sent to Foot dragger was about the 530 XC-W....wondering if that would be able to do what I am wanting.

There may be a little bit of confusion, I am not planning on making long distance trips on the bike. But like Sunday, we had to ride slab for 40-50 miles to get to the start point of the ride and had to do the same to get back to home base. I mean if I wanted to do really long distances I have the 1150GS Adv for that.

So to reiterate, I need something that is geared and streetable enough to go shorter long distances (does that make sense) of like 50 miles without damaging the bike, be able to carry enough fuel for at least 150 miles, be able to carry tools, tubes, and necessary stuff, and be tall enough for my long ass legs.

Seems like the 640E would be a great fit, the 625 might be with larger tank, 640A might be a bit too road oriented, the XR650R would be good but worried about the kick only on a hill with hot engine and carb, reading up on the 530XC-W (maybe something there), a few saying don't discount the Husabergs, one person liking the Beta....and no goes on Huskys (which I still love so maybe back to that for single track).

Anything I am missing?? Any other KTMs that I should look at?
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you trip over a 610-630 Husky it seems like they would be worth a look. Thing is, I have never even seen one in the flesh. So I have zero real world experience with them. But those were on my radar when I bought the 640E. But, like I said, I have never seen one or seen one advertised around here. If Husky sold many of them it wasn't in Maryland. The only Husky of any kind I have even seen in the last five years was at the DC motorcycle show.
  11. drdfblackm

Oddometer:
    They are a bit more rare but there are as many around here as there are Husabergs. After owning one, parts are easy to get, there is aftermarket stuff, not like for DRZ or DR650 or KTM or XRR but there is more than enough to do what you need. In my experience they are not hard to maintain. They run really good and have a strong backing on Cafe Husky.

But yes...not as easy to find as as Orange.
  12. drdfblackm

Oddometer:
    DR is officially for sale now. Check my signature!!
  13. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    That's a real nice looking DR DRD!

You have a "downgrade" in your list of "upgrades" that I wanted to point out - not to be critical but because it is a safety issue that could fool you or any others looking at the pictures and wanting to try the same thing.

The pattern on your LED lights from your garage pics is horrific and dangerously deceptive - way too much foreground lighting and intensity and not near enough throw; basically the wrong lux in the wrong places. The deceptive part is compared to the stock light it would SEEM much brighter and more impressive while at the exact same time be much poorer in enabling you TO SEE better. At highway speeds at night that type of light pattern is the most dangerous; it gives you a false sense of comfort that you can see pretty good, luring your to ride faster when you've been blinded to "distance" dangers a few seconds out.

Great looking bike and good price for it all!
  14. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you enjoy modding bikes, would a DR-Z with the ACT gear set be worth a look?

Sarah
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I once rode an 06 Husky 610,I can see how one would work just fine for decent length hiway to get to dirt,bike felt good sliding around like a 1/4 miler flattracker. Plenty of power stock and felt like a big dirtbike. The newer they get the bigger and heavier they get,like many bikes/cars/trucks. Handled MUCH better then a DR650,which isnt hard to find.
    It seems a new cam chain is required every 10,000 miles but it could be worse.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Them DRZ's dont fit tall people well. I had one and at 6' it just didnt fit when standing,even with 2" bar risers,when I stood up it felt like I was falling over the ft of the bike,especially on steep dropoffs.
    Then there's the weight issue,and the lack of any meaningful HP to get the beast up and planing in deep sand,and the suspension sucks even when modified.

Not that there's anything wrong with the bike in general.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There's enough $ in that DR to get a nice euro bike easily.
    Id swap something or other for that Monster that is taking up valuable space in your garage.
  18. drdfblackm

Oddometer:
    Yes I have also already done a DRZ, great bike, but not a great bike for me.

Point taken on the lights, However I would like to point out they have not been adjusted at all. I just put the fairing on and that was all. there has been no effort put into dialing in the lights at all. The lights and fairing were bought from Adv Monster, and he has several photos as to what the lights can do when they are adjusted correctly. Obviously there is no way to actually be able to tell what lights are like in garage setting. But I very much appreciate the insight.
  19. drdfblackm

Oddometer:
    I have a buyer for the Monster already. I love both of my Ducatis...they are absolutely sex on wheels.

I would consider selling the XR250R but it is such a great loaner bike because it is light and can sit forever and start at the drop of a hat.
  20. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Didn't see the XR650L mentioned. It has the tallest seat height and most ground clearance of any of the "old tech" big bores.

It's not a euro bike by a long shot but it does meet the "tractor" and "pack mule" requirements.

I've seen some amazing mods done with those bikes on this forum esp from Kubiak and there was one other guy that I can't find that did a high compression build that was impeccable.