Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly there are 4 aftermarket tanks out there, 2 from Clarke 4.0gal and 4.7gal, Acerbis 5.8gal and the IMS tank (I don't remember the capacity), I went with the Clarke 4.7gal and glad I didn't go any smaller, my rides are usually 90 to 115 miles and when I get home I can see I was just about to hit reserve, so had I went with the 4.0 I might be pulling in on fumes,

talking about Colyer springs road and Raglin ridge, I refer to Raglin ridge as "the short cut" to Ball Rock (the road on the left of that sign in that picture IS Raglin Ridge), It's about 10 miles shorter then taking Colyer Springs to Ball Rock, what I usually do is go up Raglin Ridge and come back through Coyer springs, it makes for a decent amount of new scenery.

looking at those most recent pictures of Colyer springs looks like they have been doing some road grading up there, I wonder If they graded Raglin Ridge as it was getting a bit rutted in a few spots.
  2. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paskenta loop. You are in a good area, however winter weather will most likely not allow loops to include the higher elevation. Raglin Ridge is like 6500 feet and snow builds up in the shaded areas. I recommend the raglin loop be done in a counter clockwise direction. reason being, the steeper rougher road is uphill going counter clockwise. Faster and safer.
    You don't want to turn North on Red Bank. years ago that too was a loop road that was had by all us locals and was very much a real 4wd road. Today it is no longer available to ride. It would go between the ranchers house and barn, It always seemed odd but was open the County never maintained it and that was why it was so good,and rough,but time has changed and it has long since been closed. I tried to bully my way through there last year claiming it was legal but got ran off by a rich Dick that doesn't even know the history of the place he now owns.

Back to Paskenta. West of Paskenta is the Yolla Bollies, wilderness area, no motorized vehicles. So when making loops to ride you either ride South , of the wilderness area or North. Paskenta is South.
    there are some good foothill roads that i ride year round,but heading up the hill this time of year i rarely make it through. When I am not so tired I could make better , more clear suggestions. I am restricted to riding weekends although my calender says I could slip away from the 17th to the 25th.. Hummm.
  3. Rockgarden Bob

Rockgarden Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KSOBON ( Ken )
    I live in Chico and am a dealer for Safari, Acerbis, IMS, and Clarke tanks. Send me an email, bob@ironmandualsport.com and I can help you out getting the right tank for your bike. Thanks Bob
  4. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah- the mud puddles / lakes, ice and snow took all the fun out of the road. I turned around after I dumped it. (Slow speed) It was worth the risk...

I tried to go back to Forest Ranch via Ponderosa Way only to find it was not open anymore. :-(
  5. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (Wasn't worth the risk)
  6. mrgizmow

mrgizmow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kudos to you Ken cause you tried.. Many years ago I tried a couple of wet weather rides up their on my mt. bike. My experience was the same as yours, but at that time Ponderosa was still open. Never gave snow much thought. Wonder what it is like in the hills above Paskenta, likely the same. Wonder if I can get up to Jonesmeadows and down to Philbrook tomorrow. Have to see how inspired I am in the morning. Wish you had some pictures Ken. How was it trying to get that big 650 vertical again on that slippery mud? Gerry
  7. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for a ride in the next few days? (Fri, Sat & Sunday ?)

Let me know.

Ken
  8. oobus

oobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you thinking? I've got the itch. Maybe Hogsback or up past Paskenta to "the Slab"?

Matt
  9. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The puddles past Cohasset are bad! It might need a few days to dry out. Pastkenta to the slab sounds good... (New for me). When were you thinking?
  10. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saturday sounds good.
  11. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    be there for the rest of the winter up past Cohasett. A lot of them have go arounds but getting through them isn't that difficult. I may be going that way on Sunday. Want to go up and come down Hogsback, haven't been accross Pondarosa road between the Narrows area and the Hogsback.
  12. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be interested it giving hogsback a try on Sunday.
  13. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    It's been awhile, but I remember a number of sections of "the narrow" where a lot of 'talc' would build up. This time of year that could be real yuckie/slippery. Seems you could catch an entrance point to the Lassen Trail right around the site of the 'old transfer station' few miles beyond the Butte Meadows (Lomo) turnoff. That should be in pretty good shape and you could ride to 32/36 junction and then decide pavement direction.

For the skilled, robust rider, guess you could take any machine anywhere and still have fun. For me, fun no longer includes working 'hard' at staying upright. A few years ago I fitted some cable chains to the front and rear of my bike to 'help' keep me going in the muck and snow. Worked ok, but ended up seeming silly for someone my age traveling alone. Gerry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. oobus

oobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I have to strap a ski to the front of my bike, count me out! You realize that is kinda nutz Gerry....

I'll be up for what ever anybody else wants to do, I've yet to finish the Hogsback so that is something I'd like to accomplish. My bike will do 140miles with the supermoto set up so I should be good for 100+miles with the dirt tires. Pick a starting place and time and I'll tag along. Looks like the weather should be good!

Matt
  15. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The storm was a warm one/ so I don't think we have to worry about the snow. I only have about 130 mile range also. We can meet/ fill up in Chico at the Fliers station on Cohasset & Manzanita before we head up there.

What time?
  16. oobus

oobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this Sunday at 10:00 so it may be a little warmer, or do you want to start earlier? This will probably be a 4-6 hour ride...I'm really not sure how long of a loop this would be.
    Maybe we can stop at the Lassen Steak House on the way back for a brewski and then I'll head back west to Corning.

Matt
  17. ksobon

ksobon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds good... Sunday 10am, Chico Fliers station on Cohasset & Manzanita. Who's in?

I think I'm going to ride / explore Oroville wildlife area tomorrow also if anyone is interested.

Let me know

Ken
  18. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    Matt, certainly didn't want to suggest that anyone (besides me) would be inclined to strap a ski to their front wheel. I did however make it a lot easier for the TW's 200cc engine to push the bike through much deeper snow than you saw in the picture. As well, the trimmed and centered skeg, allowed the 'ski' to deal reasonably well with mud and small rocks. The project certainly needed further refinement but it was pretty clear working harder to get yourself into a difficult situation was counter productive, at least in my mind.

You guys have fun on your ride and take some pictures. First 1/4 of the ride will be lots of slippery dirt and wet leaves so use care. Once you climb out of the first drainage I suspect travel will speed up some. Not sure what the top surface will be like, but then you will have a lot more room to move around. Your big bikes will be a lot more comfortable heading down Hogsback than my rig was with its 6" fork travel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gerry
  19. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous. Taking Monday morning off (in the middle of like 20 something days straight) if anyone has the time to take off for a few hours. I'm game with anything, wouldn't mind some road riding, I could use the practice. Otherwise all dirt, I just need to get away. If you guys do go up Cohasset take some pics. I'd like to save a trip up there if its really ugly. Have fun guys.
  20. oobus

oobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, isn't ag. fun. Last week we finished harvest, 60 days straight with one off. Talk about burned out! Looks like we may hit Paskenta today.