Dual sport availability

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lason, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Lason

Lason Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Euro Inmates:

I am looking at relocating across the Pond in a couple of years, to somewhere in Northern Europe, it is currently looking at this time. I've noticed that the KLR650, which I have been enjoying so much with an enduro sidecar, is not being imported by Kawasaki (probably due to emissions). So, I am trying to figure out what you folks have available on the market there.

I am specifically looking for a no-frills dual-sport that would lend itself to DIY maintenance and not make me weep over my bank account. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Nick
  2. Famous

Famous Goin down hill fast

Oddometer:
    I suppose in that engine size to start with

KTM 690
    BMW 650
    Husky 6??

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it?

Depending on which country your intending to move to as well
  3. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're not so good at, "No frills". Yamaha Tenere 660 is arguably the closest to a 'basic' dual sport. You might try to track down a good DRZ400. You also need to consider where in Northern Europe since in many countries, you can't just venture off road as you might be able to in the US. That may influence your choice of bike.
  4. Lason

Lason Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently, it is looking to most likely be Finland.

I'm looking at a roughly 70/30 or so paved/non-paved usage. Rather likely to throw a hack on it as well as I've been having a blast with my current KLR rig.

The KTM looks beautiful and I have been drooling over those for a bit but the Husky 650 looks like it might be closer to what I'd like to spend price-wise.

Thanks very much for the suggestions!
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to check the purchase tax there. I know that Denmark and maybe some other Scandinavian countries have very high tax which might make importing your KLR worthwhile. Dunno but worth the time to investigate.
  6. Tigris_GER

Tigris_GER Adventure-Finder

Oddometer:
    According to the EU regulations on emissions it depends when your bike was registered the first time; it doesn´t need to be a registration on your name. This specific date of first registration is responsible for the emission regulations.

Although I am from Germany, the Registration regulations for vehicles are very similar in most of countries in EU. But maybe someone from Finland can provide more accurate Information.

By the way, if you are looking for unlimted offroad experience, cheap life costs and great nature, I only can recommend one of the south-east European countries like Romania or Bulgaria.

Kind regards from Kabul
  7. Hausi1

Hausi1 asd

Oddometer:
    Lason, are you looking at new bikes only?

Used there are a lot of Dual-Sports around (may vary from country to country):
    DR650, DRZ400, KLR650, XT... etc.

cheers
  8. Timpo

Timpo NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer:
    Husky 650 Terra can be found for seriously low prices in Europe. Finland though, I would be looking at cheaper bikes in EU than in Soumi.
    Terra in UK look like £4600 OTR in UK...... very good for a new machine.
  9. furbo

furbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have no idea what the Finnish market is like....but here in N. Italy you can take your pick of very good used dual sports for well under E. 3000. The Aprilla Pegaso/BMW 650 is prolly the closest thing to your KLR.

I ride a Honda NX650 myself.
  10. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beware , the Terra is a really good bike ruined by way-sub-standard components and assembly. Fork in particular is a POS.
    Much , much better the former TE 630 , that could be find as stock somewhere
    [​IMG]

But the Tènèrè 660 would be the best option : same weight of KLR , but better on any aspect, fuel economy, reliability, suspensions etc.
  11. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would recommend the already mentioned Yamaha 660 XTZ Tenere. I have never heard of any serious problem with the Italian build Minarelli engine and I know two owners who are 100% happy with the bike. One did all of North America on it, something around 25.000km with absolutely NO problems.

However: bikes are horribly expensive in Finland, but I don't know if you save money when importing one from another country. If you are interested I could ask a Finish friend about this, she brought her car over from Sweden and I guess the rules are the same!

Greetings from Stockholm/Sweden
    Kai-Uwe / nordicibiker