A Few Days Solo in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by kobukan, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Old_Crow

Old_Crow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...except the prices you paid to camp. Probably paid too much to eat too.

Seriously $15/night in a third world country for a third world tent site is plenty. Not sure why you would pay at all with that much open space around. :lol3
  2. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned, I was surprised at the price for camping the first night. I'm not sure what your experience has been, but this was my first time in Baja, so perhaps I overpaid due to my inexperience - not really sure. I probably could have found some open space for free, but it wouldn't have been in Canyon de Guadalupe with water from the hot spring piped into my campsite. I'll return to that spot and gladly pay Ernesto $25 again - it was an amazing place and well worth it. Maybe next time I'll have someone to split the cost with, and maybe they'll be a better negotiator too!

The first night at Canyon de Guadalupe was the only night I actually set up a tent. I paid $20 for a cabin at Laguna Hanson that would sleep 6-8 people comfortably, complete with a wood stove for heat. This was on a beautiful lake in a national park high up in the mountains. Once again, well worth it and was definitely $20 better than trying to find some open spot for free up there in the dark. I'd definitely go there again too! Hopefully, I'll arrive a little earlier next time. :lol3
  3. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in! Would gladly pay for that in exchange to ride with someone who has already had such an amazing experience down there once! I'm in So Cal btw :deal we could meet at the border!!!!!!!!!!
  4. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to spend a fair amount of time in the Southwest next winter and I'll definitely be going to Baja again. Most likely next Jan/Feb. I'd really like to make a loop down through Copper Canyon then ferry over to Baja and ride North back up to the border. I'd prefer to have another rider or two with me for that trip. I haven't really started planning the details for that one yet, but I expect it would take close to two weeks. Another shorter trip into Baja is always a possibility too. PM me sometime and let me know what your schedule is like if you really want to take a ride into Baja.
  5. TooTallRacing

TooTallRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic trip, I can't wait for the day when I get to ride Baja again.

I would spend twice what you did to camp in Guadalupe Canyon.

:clap
  6. hippysiam

hippysiam n00b

Oddometer:
    Great Report, thank you
  7. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    well done!

thank you.
  8. skeelo221

skeelo221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome report - thanks! In a few weeks I'm going with 4 friends...can't wait!
  9. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be heading back to Baja in late January. Planning to spend more time and go all the way south this trip. Maybe I'll see some of you on the road.
  10. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You suck.

:*sip*
  11. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    You are a man of few words EC. :lol3

PS: I think there may still be room for one more. :deal :D
  12. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thank you.:ilmostro

Believe me. If I could pull it off this year I would. Maybe next year. This winter's actually more like early spring this time riding dance card is already full. Plane ticket in hand.:evil

Enjoy yourselves down there. Take lots-0-pics.

BTW, you still suck.:D
  13. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report!

I'm headed down there in mid/late February, going over a lot of the same route, plan to go to San Francisquito, stopping at Coco's corner and Mike's Sky Ranch along the way.
  14. im4ipsc

im4ipsc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Mike's Sky Ranch last weekend. You wouldn't have wanted to try that 25 mile road at night into his Rancho. I only say this as there was one large sandy turn that would have dumped you for sure. Sand 2 - 4 inches deep is easy but this one corner had sand at 12+ inches and two deep ruts of it. I saw a few riders plow through only to see some mesquite up close. There were a few other spots but this one corner might have gotten the better of you.

I'd highly recommend it being one of your stopping points next time you venture south of the border into Baja. And thanks for that excellent ride report. Like others who have commented on here, I've got to get to that canyon.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  15. Dooga

Dooga Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    You are 'much' fun to read. 'Gracias.'
  16. LJHrider

LJHrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report Thanks
  17. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Never been there yet but I'm going one day soon. You did a great job on the RR. This is the kind of place I would love to go. A lot of dirt and some great scenery and a fairly peaceful existance. What a concept.
    Thanks for sharing.
  18. skeelo221

skeelo221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey kobukan,

Thanks for sending me your GPS tracks a couple months ago...we followed 1 or 2 of them on our trip. We spend 17 days and got back earlier this month. We went to a lot of the same sights, like the cabin at Laguna Hansen but we paid $70 and they would not budge on the price (but there was 5 of us total):

https://picasaweb.google.com/jacob....K6c2PHALQ&feat=directlink#5832237235846831826

Our trip didn't go as smooth as yours I wouldn't say! I didn't realize it until we were on the road but I tore the bead of my D606 and within a hour into the trip I was on the side of the road outside of Tecate. I can say from experience that it's very hard to find a 17" tire in Baja so feel good that you didn't have to deal with that!
  19. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! :clap
  20. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

blacktruck: I sure hope you get your chance to go there one day soon. "A lot of dirt and some great scenery and a fairly peaceful existence" - I like that description.

skeelo221: Glad you were able to make use of some of the tracks. Sorry to hear about your tire problem, but 17 days in Baja must have been great. I read somewhere recently that $70 is the standard rate for a cabin at Laguna Hanson so I guess I was pretty lucky. But, didn't they tell you - your supposed to park the bike on the porch. :D