Mav's a n00b (American Fork Canyon)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by MaverickChick, Jul 9, 2013.

1. MaverickChick

MaverickChick I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    It seems like it has been ages since I hit the western portion of the TAT. A lot has happened between then and now--like entering the actual adult world(Blows P.s). I've spend about two years without a bike, henceforth known as the dark ages. However, I'm BACK!

We hit riding hard late April, early May. We even had an extra rider this year. Nothing is a true Maverickchick story without some drama and gore though. So true to Mav fashion someone ate it big, and had to be transported via ambulance to the hospital. Now I know you are thinking, Mav is bound to go to the hospital at one point--she falls like 50 times a day.

Wrong. My little sister had been riding for a month or so, when she missed a corner out in the west desert. Total fluke accident, she went up and off the road--about a foot climb. I was right behind her when she hit the ground and she was was screaming, 14 year old dramatic flair I thought. Wrong again. Long story short she ended up taking a bar to the tummy wrong and ended up in a children's hospital for a week with Spleen, liver and lung damage. She is safely home now, and will be crusin' around on a 4 wheeler until she wants to get back on a bike.

On to the less depressing stuff--

OURAY, CO in August 2013!! Hopefully we will be able to schedule Hancock pass for a little 'Web-redemption' , cue Tosh.0.

So to get me back into the swing of things, we are riding American Fork in Utah. This area is known to be a little sketch, so it will be the perfect training ground for my (hopefully) triumphant return. I'm planning on documenting our weekend trips to AF here, and then will be doing a longer and in-depth one about day trippin' in Colorado.

This was our weekly ride to Mineral Basin in American Fork Canyon. It's been a good two years since I've been in the dirt--and it shows.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wRkZrJE6m3A?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  2. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good goin MCHick. Sorry bout the lil sis' gut shot. She got the actual injuries most of us only feared while writhing and gasping from the handlebar punch.

Re: your AmFork training rides, I saw you'd been up Mineral Fork too, lighten up girl. That steep rock garden riding is baptism by fire. But ain't the scenery grand? When you stop?

I figure to scout the 157 ridge trail on the mountain bike but you could GoPro it for me so I don't get self in to extreme heavy lifting with the DR650.

For training I'd recommend feet on the pegs, standing single track riding with fewer rocks. It's tough to get a rhythm and feel for the bike in a bounce and bash climb like that 194 to Forest Lake route. The trick is to maintain momentum when you get knocked out of your line. That kind of riding requires looking ahead, scanning alternate lines through the obstacles and making quick decisions. That said, you're full adventure! The GoPro doesn't do justice to the challenge there.

You should try the single track in the Stansburys between South Willow and North Willow but ride it early in the morning this time of year.
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    That does NOT look like fun at all....but the scenery is magnificent!

I'll bet gearing down a couple of teeth would really cut down on the stalls, and make like easier for the clutch.
  4. MaverickChick

Oddometer:
    Baptism by fire is one way I'd describe it, haha. I will for sure add trail 157 to our list of things to check out. We're planning on camping there this weekend, so hopefully we'll be able to check out the oodles of trails it offers.

I was dabbing in that rock field just to keep my balance, no way I could maintain speed in that situation yet. Oh well, I'll get back in the groove one day :evil

I'm actually more apt to try stuff with massive boulders than single track. I saw a couple of YouTube video's with some wicked switchbacks--and those right handers...Which,actually leads me into my next post for last weekend when we took the trials bike out to play.:clap

Thank you for your recommendations and words of encouragement :D
  5. MaverickChick

Oddometer:
    In the mail, and should be here by next weekend :thumb We also looked into a Rekluse for the 525--but didn't have any luck with that. That's cheating though, anyways. :lol3
  6. MaverickChick

Oddometer:
    I know I know, I've been slacking on the updates.To keep any interested parties updated--we've still been hitting American Fork.

We tried Mineral fork again--this time with my mom and sister on the ATV. Needless to say they didn't like being brought there. I managed to hit the same rock and tip the rock and tip the bike in the exact same spot. However, I was able to get out with zero stalls and on my first try. Any progress is progress I guess :D

Well, my pops thought that mineral basin would be slightly easier to get up on a four wheeler. My conclusion is nope! I rode this beast a couple of times while we were there. Let's just say I will for sure be sticking to my two wheels. :lol3

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EZzLO0e1zLA?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

My favorite parts are around 1:18 and 5:11

As the title suggests, we did take the trials bike again. My dad was convinced if I gave it more time--that it would work out better for me. So I do try. Well previously I had semi conquered this steep foot path-esque route to the river. I say previously because I rookied it, and hit a step at a weird angle. My dad and I both thought that I had spun out the back tire--but the video shows all (upload soon)! Anyywayss I try it on the trials bike three times--and none of them are pretty. I hit a root and got knocked forward--effectively burning the crap out of my right leg. And I cant seem to manage to stay on those pegs...going up I take a rock, get knocked backwards and feet off the pegs, going down get knocked backwards grab clutch and speedy demon down the sketchiness...I do however have a blast on it driving through the little streams though.

Lots of people, I feel like assume Utah is just a giant desert where nothing green grows. We did happen upon some beautiful single track. The sand pit? Oh don't mind that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say the trials bike is going up for sale. Yes I probably am being a premature quitter, but I'm content with the 525.
  7. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    for punishment. That four wheeler video looks made for masochists. Give me a bike any day but I'm starting to wonder about your Pop and all the boulders. Am Fork is crazy beautiful and I've been back again too. May just jump over Guardsman's and back that way if the weather's not to gnarly after I get my new tire on this afternoon.
  8. MaverickChick

Oddometer:
    Boulders are awesome, c'mon :evil

I hope that tire didn't give you crap, and you made it over to Guardsmans!
  9. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. MaverickChick

Oddometer:
    That sounds like something I won't hit for awhile :lol3 . Maybe I'll wait until I can make it to the ski lifts at mineral basin.
  11. bonekrusher

bonekrusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where is that single track? Is it up by Bakers fork?

I found a single track that looked very similar to that up snake creek that eventually dropped down into AF canyon. Thanks for the report.
  12. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you went to the top of Snake Creek you may have found the Sunset Peak end of the 157 single track. 157 runs from Sunset Peak at Alta/Brighton all the way to the Alpine Loop. I may have to ride north from Pole Line Pass on my mountain bike to scout that section. I was hoping to see if Snake Creek connected with 157 but decided to bail before getting tossed by my DR650.
  13. MaverickChick

Oddometer:
    We stumbled into 157 near the top 1/3rd of the trail, where it connects to a turn around just off the main road. I hope to check out all the other single track American Fork has to offer when we get back from Ouray.

Speaking of....We leave tomorrow :evil Happy Friday to me
  14. bonekrusher

bonekrusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so judging by some trail maps I found it appears you are correct. I would have to go up there again to prove it as it was a long time ago but it looks right.

Link to where we were sitting when we saw the track:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...03248,0.005992&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=18&z=17

We went to the top of the FR420 and while talking about where to go next my buddy spotted the single track - it took us south to just above forrest lake where we had to bail down into AF canyon and head home. Fun run but no cake walk.

Do either of you know if the trail to pittsburg lake is reachable via motorcycle?
  15. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the 420 side is the link to 157 then. I was on the north side of Snake Creek and I don't think it could connect except by foot which is a go over Sunset Peak. See my point B where I bailed on the climb.

40.579379,-111.582624 (enter this coordinate in google earth)

We used to ride to Pittsburg Lake in the early 70's on our Huskys and I think that's still open. I'm not such a fan of riding a heavier bike in that terrain but keep finding myself in it.

I rode to Forest Lake on the AmFork side but didn't attempt the 171 link from there up to 157.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901506

I'm still interested in trying your 420 to 157 all the way to Timp and back but need to borrow a lighter bike for the single track. If nothing else, it would look a bit ridiculous to encounter an old dude on a DR650 with windshield up there. Especially if you had to help him pick it up:D
  16. MaverickChick

Oddometer:
    If by ridiculous you mean sheer badassness, then yes. :deal

Can't wait to do some more scouting up there! But for now, I think I'm all prepped and ready for Colorado tomorrow AM. :D
  17. bonekrusher

bonekrusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on the heavy bike aspect - we had to lift our bikes over 3 fallen trees on that run and there are several drop downs caused by tree roots or large rocks that I'm not sure I would have been able to come back up. I was on a KLX250 at the time and even it seemed too heavy (I am inexperienced on single track though). I ride a DRZ400 now and I'm not sure if I'd take it on that or not - well I would, but I'm not sure if I would make it all the way or have to bail by the lake again. :lol3

What kind of range do you have on that 650?

MavChick - Have fun in CO - sounds like an awesome trip.
  18. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll be watching for the ride report Mav.
    200 plus miles with my 5 gal tank - only hit reserve once at 220 plus.

I was thinking you were pulling some good moves on the DRZ or the trail was easier than I thought - thanks for the warning.

I keep telling myself I should be packing a block and tackle plus long straps to lift the bike, along with a hand saw and a cable saw for the logs and roots, and maybe a small crowbar for the rocks, etc. but then I'd have to run more tire pressure and heavier springs. I got really strong and fit riding the impossible (deer trails etc) when I was young and only slightly dumber. Smarter is to ride with someone who at least, if they won't talk you out of something, will have to help lift/carry the bike, or keep you company on the walk out.:lol3
  19. bonekrusher

bonekrusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly :deal

:lol3
  20. Earendil

Earendil Anywhere Outside

Oddometer: