Buell Bliss

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by HooliKen, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ That is crazy low miles for an 06. $6k seems like a reasonable offer.
  2. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I've spoken with this guy about his Uly. He said he used "r" forks & shock to lower it. Not sure if this a good mod, but I also have a 30" inseam with bad knees. I'm almost strictly a street rider, though groomed dirt & gravel roads don't scare me.
    Thoughts?
  3. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what height you'd wind up with on a Uly with those parts but I'm sure it's pretty low. The main concern I'd have is if you're planning on doing 2-up riding with luggage. In that case the R rear shock might be undersprung for the Uly's weight. The only other concern would be peg clearance. Hopefully you can take it for a decent test ride and verify the pegs don't drag at "sporting" lean angles.

Oh yea, the R shock won't have that handy remote pre-load adjuster like the normal Uly shock either, so you'll have to use a shock wrench to change the pre-load.

I have a 30 inch inseam with good knees and ride an unmodified 07 Uly. There are times I wish it was an inch or inch-and-a-half lower, but generally I make out OK.
  4. Bobmws

Oddometer:
    Good knees make a difference! This will be a solo for me, the wife will ride in the hack for any long trips. He does have the OEM parts, so I could restore the height, and it does have a low seat, so that may work out. I thought I had posted the info from his ad, guess I clicked too quickly. Anyway here is the other stuff on this bike, no luggage though:

"Buell Ulysses XB12 4500.00 obo extras it has been lowered by replacing forks and rear shock so a normal human can ride it it has a buell hi performance ecm a high torque kit installed a xb 12 r front fender a jardine exhaust that comes with the bike 7800 miles i have stock parts that go with it i dont have the stock ecm as the bike had the hi po ecm when i purchased it."
  5. red450

red450 Stuff

Oddometer:
    No rain and I swapped in a working ECM and same issue. Right now, the common theory on BadWeb is either Oxygen, head temp or crank position sensor.

Time to start with the cheapest option and start replacing them.
  6. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhhhhh...The 2nd gear corner exit "torque" wheelies. What a great feeling. The KTM will do the same but she has to be wound up a little more.

Couple things that I have missed greatly.
    1. That lump of V-twin shaking everything around at a stop.
    2. Hearing the fan screaming when you shut her off.

The funniest quote since getting another Buell:

From "Redneck Randy" standing and looking at my bike at a 7-11.

"Buell, isn't that Harleys answer for them there crotch rockets?" :lol3
  7. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding #2, that's one thing I've grown to love about Buell meets: 5-10 Buells pulling up someplace after a "spirited" ride through the twisties, all the riders shutting off and hearing 5-10 fans come on at once. "WHEOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!".

LOUD FANS SAVE LIVES! :lol3
  8. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Man, I need a sticker that says that.

<small>Posted during work using magic</small>
  9. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    I spoke with the dealership owner today on the phone. Told him I could do $6,000.

He said; "I need another number. $6,000 won't work".

OK, I said. "How about $5,900 then?" :lol3

It took me about 10 minutes to get 'em down to $6,250.

Going for a test ride Saturday. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Supposed to be 55 degrees. Unheard of for December. Not sure what to think...that kinda dough would get me a good Vee-Strom. Can't sleep...

One question: The DR650 is my first cycle. I've got 22k on it now. Should I move strait to the Uly or buy a bit more of an intermidiate HP bike first (Vee Strom, or 800XC) ? I'm kind of concerned that the Uly is going to be some sort of crazy ass widow maker. You guys know these things better than I do, that's why I'm asking.
  10. Bobmws

Oddometer:
    Drop Russ a note: http://www.got2motographics.com/
  11. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    I went from a Klr to the Uly and it was a great move. There is a good jump in power berween the two but its all nice and usable. You will have to try real hard to flip yourself over backwards.

A little front end lift when laying the throttle on lean forward a little and crank it up. Dont be afraid but it is adicting.
  12. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its quirky. You have to understand the noises these engines sometimes make, they can be loud and obnoxious sounding. Sometimes youll scratch your head, Like I am trying to figure out an odd ticking t 2500-2900 rpm, but only during very light throttle, it disappears if I roll on the throttle. Its annoying to not really have dealer support, and to basically get all your information regarding the bike and how to diagnose it and more importantly fix it, off the few web sites that support the bike.
    That being said, I have to say, it is the most fin bike I have ever had, and even two-up, downshifts are rarely necessary. Its a torque monster, handles like a dream. Two nights ago, it was 35 degrees out, I was riding to a bible study class, and the moon was full, the stars were out, and as I was riding past the lake, I just started giggling. Yup, I was partially frozen, looking for deer, and at the same time giggling my arse off. Never had a bike do that to me in almost 40 years on em.
  13. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    We just completed a 105 mile ride on the 08 Uly, 15 miles was on Forestry Approved gravel roads in a National Park.

Saw several of bambi's family as well as Tom Turkey and clan.

Uly could use a bit more rear brake for slippery off camber downhills, however/,,,,,,, all went well and the Uly did not take any dirt naps.

Try one you will like it

Ride safe

Part of the attraction, In our mind, of the Uly is that there is such a wide cross section of riders and support folks. You are not "stuck" with a Dealer who does not give a hoot about your issues with the bike.

Badweatherbikers, as well as several other sites have a plethora of sources for help.

Besides, if you work on it yourself you will know it is done correctly.

:norton
  14. Sharkguy

Sharkguy chain lube applier

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob it's Larry, I used to see you at rallys quite a bit when I rode my beemer. If the stock suspension comes with the bike it wouldn't be hard to put it back. You can also get a lowering collar for the rear that will drop it by an inch or so. Many guys report using it with no mod to the front end and with good results. If you want to check mine out for stock height you are welcome to stop in and see how it fits. It is a bit challenging for me at times and I have a 32" inseam. I've considered the lowering collar myself.
  15. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used the lowering collar myself without moving the forks up and had no handling problems. Using the collar does soften up the rear some. with about 500 lbs payload on the bike I could feel the belt "thrum" when hitting big dips at speed down in Texas hill country. At normal loads & speeds, I never had any problems at all. It lowers the seat 3/4-1 inch. I have a spare lowering collar laying around here somewhere, if someone would like to try one for themselves.

Murf
  16. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    PM sent on collar.
  17. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    We also have one for sale on badweb if anyone needs another one.

We mated the lowering collar with the 14 1/2 shock from a Buell TT.

Lowered the bike to the point we can get both feet on the ground on those nasty off camber slippery parking lots.

LOL

The collar only lowers the seat height 1/2". You can set the sag to gain additional lowering,

Good Luck

Ride Em

:norton:norton
  18. motofan936

motofan936 FNG

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread.
    I don't spend a lot of time on here searching for Uly threads, so it was nice to find a current one. I drove about 350 mi. from Indy to Mo. to pick my '08 XT up in March(and rode her home). She had just over 6K on the ticker and now shows 20.5K. I'm not sure yet that she is my G.O.A.T. bike, but she definitely is toward the top of the list.
    This bike makes me very happy. She is currently my daily commuter, main mean of transport, and two up weekend escape pod. I have many adventures in mind that I hope to share in the next few years, and they all revolve around this bike. The only regret I have is that I would have found a deal like this on an X model instead of the XT.
    :kumbaya
  19. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    08 Uly X in the classifieds.

LOL

:norton
  20. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I'm trying to tell my buddy to give yours a look. He's looking at older ones with less miles. I told him I vote for yours.