Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    Avoid using Zipp Ties( most folks pull them too tight) on ICO cables, use tape or velcro the ties will damage the cable after a few hundred kms.
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Like an old tree:lol3
  3. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, he will survive.
  4. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Circlip and magnet

[​IMG]

go into the rotor

[​IMG]

This is my new rotor I am getting ready to install for the Mexican 1000 rally. It has a drilled out spot in the cooling cut (at 6 o'clock positon)

I dont know if you have an OEM KTM rotor with this done or what size it is. So you would have to use a drill press and the appropriate sized bit to drill yours out to fit the magnet set up you have. As you can see the hole "captures" the magnet and is held by the C clip.

hope this helps
  6. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible (a thought anyhow) to use rare earth magnets on either side of a hole similar to the disc above? I mean if a magnet can be found that is the correct OD to the hole in the disc and then used another 2, one on either side of the disc to hold it in place, wouldn´t that do it? I have a few of these and they have a lot of strength to hold themselves together. I would figure it would be enough for this use anyhow.

Thoughts?

there are lots of options with sizing;

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/frenergy...0753000509&pt=AU_Supplies&_trksid=p4340.l2562
  7. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    so you want to use magnetic force to hold the magnet in place? bad idea. use one magnet and epoxy it in place or use one of the magnetic rotor bolts.
  8. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Drill the hole almost all the way through.
    Lasted over 2 years so far. Would be better epoxied in but I've got a handful of them. I use them for sump bung bolts too.
    [​IMG]
  9. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    This method is better than using 2 other magnets to sandwhich the units in place by magnetic force. On a rally where you may live or die by the odometer I like to know my magnet is securely in place.
  10. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    hence magnetic bolts :evil
  11. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Here is another option, same as the stock KTM part, just a bit cheaper;

https://shop.enduroeng.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=90KT $12.99

"Magnet Kit with Snapring fits in Stock KTM/Husaberg Rotor"

[​IMG]

You could also use one of these
    [​IMG]
    http://sicassracing.com/store/products/electrical_accessories/ktm_replacement_odometer_sensor $18.99

and one of these, to run two ICO's from one pickup.
    [​IMG]
    http://sicassracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=329 $4.99

or buy the parts seperate from digikey
  12. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    I just scored some mag bolts from Trailtech in the states. The lady who took my order was nice enough to give it to me with free shipping. I have also used some other Trailtech stuff and all have been quality parts.

So in a week or so I should have all the parts I need for the sensor pickup mounting. I also got a fuse block set up from Beaver Creek so its all coming together. Pretty soon all I will have to do is get on the boat in Venice and sail to Greece for the rally.(Like a Boss)

[​IMG]
  13. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    My ico magnet makes the ktm speedo go haywire I might go a trail tech unit to replace the ktm one using the same magnet .
  14. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I got the brake cover off and still have all my fingers.:clap How does it look now?
  15. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    cool, get some electrical tape and tape the sensor & brake line together, and, even better,
    put some spiral cable protector over the result... pics tomorrow
  16. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    I hope to see the ico sensor bracket show in the mail by Friday and the TT magnet bolt by end of next week so I can shake this bad boy down. Like a Boss:1drink
  17. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    So I thought it's about time I put up or shut up :D

final build is over today, this is the set up I will be using at Evia rally, Serres Rally and at the remaining 5 daily
    races of the Greek Rally Raid Cup... plus training etc etc

About the instruments, I have a minor sponsorship/nice discount from the cool people at Touratech Greece,
    so I have mounted:

- two IMO100R50 odos (I prefer the larger displays on these, hate the digital smallish font in ICO's, plus I know
    how to program them inside out, blindfolded :D)

- a TT roadbook . Yeah I know, they suck. But in all fairness I don't ride sand - which is what screws them up- and
    after 1500kms of races since last August, mine is holding up pretty well. Periodic cleaning routine is pressurized air,
    and a silicone based lubricant. So far so good, when it dies I will replace with an F2R).

- two ""Quintuple" TT button controls for IMOs & roadbook, I like the fact that I can set these up side by side, so no
    fancy finger work required if the first goes kaboom. Plus I get a spare line for the roadbook control standing by in the cockpit.

Starting from the bottom, this is the the bracket which holds the 2 IMO sensor pick ups, the protection plate in front
    of the pick ups was easily fabricated in a matter of minutes

[​IMG]

A side view, you can see both sensors. I run a TrailTech magnetic bolt on the disc brake:

[​IMG]

Spiral wrap around brake line and both sensor wires:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the "tower", a very loose term for the basic KTM aftermarket bracket (which has had extra supportive welds & material added where they usually crack, in between the four bottom bolts):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front view, the backing plate was especially commissioned to a fabricator from the TT importer here, it snuggly holds 2 IMOs and the TT roadbook. I painted it a special antiglare "go-faster" rally black

[​IMG]

And finally, two pics of the TT "Quintuple" controls side-by-side. Red buttons for IMO (plus, minus, reset in the middle),
    Blue buttons for roadbook:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I had to skip the Vector, as I needed to add a second magnet to the wheel which would have caused the IMO pick ups to go haywire, but it's a small loss, as I can switch one IMO into speed mode on the liaisons which have the speed limits
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  18. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    Your Looking good to go now! I think we're down to 23 days before green flag. I got my ICO sensor holder today and will try and put it on the bike today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Should I loctite and silicon the heck out of the nuts on the sensor?
  19. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the ICO sensor bolts, but I believe
    some Loctite should do the trick
  20. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    My current setup...

• Chris V.'s modified Baja Designs race light bracket... From before he started making his uber-cool rally moto kit!
    • F2R roadbook.
    • OEM KTM tripmaster, remounted directly to the F2R for visibility.
    • Trailtech remote switch for tripmaster... Takes up less bar space and is easier to mount than the KTM switch.
    • Garmin Oregon GPS on RAM mount for directional indicator.

Wiring is pretty simple...
    • 14 gauge power/ground pair directly from battery, terminating behind headlight with SAE connector. Single fuse at battery.
    • Power pigtails to roadbook & tripmaster for backlight.
    • Switched pigtail to headlight/taillight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]