Spring 2013 Rednek Rendezvous?

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Canuman, Dec 21, 2012.

1. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just teach me all the swears; that's all I need.:ear
  2. WAP

WAP Weekday Warrior

Oddometer:
    I might be up for a spring blast up and down Bear Notch. :evil
  3. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I may be in for a weekend pre-run if I could do an up and back ride without taking time off work. Arrive late Friday evening and depart around noon on Sunday.. I bet it would be fairly easy to talk AkaRob into the idea as well if our schedules work out..

and MatPoc.. you won't have any problems with the "big bike" terrain but I haven't ridden the Rendezvous single track route yet. That may be a different story but I don't think that's your plan anyway..
  4. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm up for the pre-running.

Look forward to meeting you guys and exploring new territory
  5. p_funk

p_funk Patfunk

Oddometer:
    Yes.

And yes.
  6. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Tim would prefer to have a small number of people trying to scout trails. Trying to keep a large number of motorcycles together is like herding cats. It can be hilarious, but not as productive.

Im also not against coming up in my truck with a dirtbike or two in the back. Smaller bikes can cover ground a lot quicker off road. I certainly don't want to impose though. I highly doubt you'll have to look far for volunteers, but if you think you want me to assist, just ask. My woods weapon is ready to go.

[​IMG]
  7. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I thought it was more like shoveling fleas. You are correct, Rob. It would be nice to have some company on the trails/remote roads. We'll have to see what the weather brings. Bear Notch is closed in the winter, and the opening date is dependent on how much snow there is up there.

8. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, It seems that if an open invitaion was sent out, that would mean anyone is welcome.

It appears that you are speaking for him and and trimming the fat.

I was interested but don't much care for that approach

seems clicky to me
  9. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I didn't mean to speak for him, only to offer my thoughts based on experience. I know he's even more experienced than I am and he will certainly do what he wants to. I'll be butting out from now on and letting him speak for himself as far as who, what, where, when, how, etc etc. I'm more than happy to just be invited to the big ride in June. It won't be here sion enough.
  10. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Everyone is welcome on the pre-runs, as long as they have appropriate bikes and gear, a decent attitude, and a reasonably flexible schedule. The pre-running schedule can be weird at times, and the weather can be crappy. It takes a long time to put together a fluid dual-sport route. I started plotting the Fall '12 RedNEK very shortly after the Spring run was completed.

It seems y'all liked that one, despite the rain.

When you get this, it's all OK.

[​IMG]

We're all friends here. Let's keep it that way.
  11. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still have to put my bike back together and I've yet to take it apart!

Damn couch!:D
  12. Canuman

Oddometer:
    We all don't cotton to your sort anyhow, Rich. You need to get some fire-breathing snot-blaster to play with the big cowpokes. :lol3

Work on your own bike? What's up wif dat?

13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mission creep. First I need to replace that strangely worn front tire with the T-63 I bought (on your advice). Then the forks started leaking in my garage this fall. I bought a set of seals and some other gizmos that go inside the forks. Maybe I'll get some bars too. It's in the shed now as cars seem to take priority in the garage when it's winter.

As for the fire breathing type bike; this KLR250 is like a Piper Cub. It'll just barely kill you!
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    You gonna try running some air in that front this time? I hear a little is good for tire life.

I likely have a set of aluminum bars and risers that will be available if you need 'em.
  15. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I shall give it some air, but only so much or something will happen!
    I need to measure my bars various dimensions to see where I'm starting. The goal is to make riding standing up more comfortable. My cross bar is currently covered with gadgets so bars without need not apply.

Risers alone may help me. I tried one set so far but they didn't work. They were the type that puts a new bracket over the existing bracket. Because my brackets are not symmetrical that style won't work. I have saved a link for some risers that mount in the handlebar bores. Those will likely work for me. The bars are 7/8ths and the tolerance for cable stretching has yet to be determined.

If you find yourself with some surplus bars or risers let me know. Thanks

Damn couch!
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I've got some Vortex 7/8" alloy bars that are a virtual copy of the Renthal Ricky Carmichael "high" bar, as well as a set of bar risers that you are welcome to, Rich. I'm slapping on old reliable Vortex high bars on the DRZ. I have them on the KLR and the KDX, and they suit my riding just fine. I think I sent you a link some time ago. They have cross bars.

Otherwise, I think you are talking about the ROX risers?

I don't want to get killed in a Cub. I'd prefer a PA-11 or a J5, if you have one in inventory.

17. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    No tail draggers for me...lazy feet.

I lost the wrestling match with the T-63 tonight. That's one stiff carcass! I thought I had her pinned but the air coming out equaled the air going in. Oh well, I can continue to stimulate the tire tube economy or do the Anton patch-o-Rama.

Gotta do errands again for a few days and by then the couch will be missing me.

It's too bad, today was warm and rideable. Only about 45 days of winter left.
  18. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    this will solve that age old problem of "what is done to one side must be done to the other". i freakin' hated algebra.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_meTPTpdkZo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    According to Accuweather and the rodent, six more weeks of this crap. Come on!

Love me some tail draggers. A PA20, C170B, and RC3 were in my stable. Tasty. I've also flown the PA11, Supercub, Maule M7, a couple of Taylorcrafts, a Citabria, and one of the few remaining Rearwin Sportsters with the Le Blonde engine in captivity. Shame the economy went down the pan. Flying that Rearwin was fun.

[​IMG]

20. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nose dragger:

[​IMG]