Twisted Throttle Electrical Connection CAN-BUS Electrical Connector

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Downer, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellas. Appreciate the help! :thumb
  2. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
  3. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the truth is that I only run from the cops in my dreams... I would never do it in real life. And I'm not too worried about when my GPS turns off either. It's my LED brake/running lights and front LED visibility lights that bother me most. I've got my fuse block getting its trigger from the GPS feed and that causes power to remain on for about 30 seconds after turning off the ignition. And my LED lights are BRIGHT! I will probably change the feed to something else on my K1300GT (even after almost 3 years with it the way it is) but certainly will use something else as the trigger on my new F800GS.

Cheers!

4. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, but is the "BMW Auto OFF Power Socket" thing you mention the accessory outlet on the bike? I'm going to have to move some stuff at the back of my garage and pull the tarp off my K1300GT to check, but I'm pretty sure that on that bike at least, the accessory outlet DOES maintain power for about the first 30 seconds exactly as the GPS connection does. Could it behave differently on different model BMWs? If it does shut off immediately with the ignition on the F800GS, then (if you can get to it) it would be a great option to use as the trigger for a relay.

If it does shut off immediately, then why the heck hasn't anyone else figured this out? :)

Good one!

5. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    It doesn't - same as the GPS plug - power stays on for 30-60s until the CAN bus shuts down.
  6. Schai

Schai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mtl_Biker

In my opinion, the best wire to control power that wants to go off immediately with the engine is the power to the headlight low beam. It comes on as soon as the bike starts and goes off immediately when you shut off. It has enough power available to supply any control circuit or relay. "As I remember" (famous last words) it is available in a few places, like on the harness going forward to the headlight. It also might be available under the seat on the left side. My Clymer manual has the correct wire color (I guess yellow) but we just got a bunch of snow and the book is out in the garage and it's after 3am. I've got it all taped up now, and didn't discover the Clymer manual with a Real Wiring Diagram until after I'd had to poke around a lot.

The wire to the accessory socket is handy, just not the proper wire.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Steve
  7. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve. Good insight. I guess this Twisted Throttle connector facilitates the tap to the headlight as opposed to the way the BMW plug connects. Jeebus. I gotta quit reading the interwebs. Every time I go and do something based on some bit of forum advice, I read later about how it's not a good idea. :lol3 Nature of the beast, I guess.

Bought a Shorai LiFePo 21A battery and wired up Fuseblock with the BMW switched connector. Running a GPS, LEDs, heated vest I am sure to run it down and get stranded at Starbucks. Will have to walk home and chalk it up as Adventure.

I will report back if any trouble...
  8. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Steve.

I haven't received my new F800GS yet (it's arriving at my dealer any day now) so I don't know where I'll be installing my fuse block and other stuff. On other bikes I've sometimes taken the trigger wire off the rear running light and that too has enough power to work well and it's instant on/off with the ignition.

Anyway, bottom line is that I'm not going to use the GPS connection as a trigger or the accessory outlet. So it'll either be the headlight low beam as you suggest (most probably) or something else.

My dealer tells me that there's no service manual from BMW yet which includes the 2013 model F800GS but he's going to order one for me when it does become available.

Cheers!

9. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't have any trouble with that at all, Gumbeaux. What you did is certainly the easiest solution and the only downside (to me at least, but that's personal) is that the BMW switched connector keeps power on for about 30 seconds after you turn the ignition off. That won't cause you to run anything down. And certainly when you get off the bike at Starbucks you're wearing your heated vest so it doesn't stay powered on and on the bike when you go in.

10. BRUTSQD

BRUTSQD 2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer:
    So I picked up some advmonster led lights, a dimmer, a relay and a twisted throttle canbus adapter and am confused as to whether or not I need a canbus adapter for both the dimmer(which connects to the high beams) and the relay??

Originally I thought I only needed one canbus adapter but now I'm not so sure.

I'm trying to set it up to where the lights come on automatically when the bike is on and the lights go to whatever brightness I have the dimmer set to, yet when I hit the highbeams, the LEDs go to full blast.

Any help would be appreciated.
    -t
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    What does ADVmoster say. That is properly your best source, as he is selling it. But generally speaking, if you add too much to the either low or high headlight circuit, you will get a warning, thus the need for the kit.