What boot are you riding with?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by SauceSquatch, Oct 15, 2013.

1. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was curious what other KTM riders are wearing for off-road days and touring, in particular the 950/990 crowd. I've been wearing a Chippewa Rally boot for the last 4 years and love it, but it's time to upgrade to something with more protection now that I'm doing more off-road. The more research I'm doing the more I'm falling deeper and deeper in the rabbit hole of gear...

My main dilemma is the trade-off of protection vs. comfort/walkability. I'm pretty sure I need both a touring/waterproof boot for trips and a MX/Rally boot, but I'm curious what your riding with on off-road days and what you like.
  2. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear your dilemma and have been there myself.

I just got a pair of Alpinestar Scout waterproof boots. I really love them thus far, although that hasn't bee for long......I do think that I will continue to like them though. They fit true to size, are comfortable to walk in, and are more supportive and protective than less structured offerings. Further, the price point is reasonable (in my opinion) and having never had an Alpinestars boot that I wasn't happy with, I think they'll be great.

:D
  3. Zander

Zander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaerne SG10
  4. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    "You need a 500£ bike, is fine, obviously second hand. And you can leave pretty much in the clothes you are standing up in. Some waterproofs from your local angling store. A bag. A simple tool roll. And you are ready to go. You got to spend the money on the trip, not on the gear to do the trip. Otherwise, you'll never get anywhere. You'd never leave."

Austin & Gerald Vince

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lAT3vmDHEXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

That said . . . . I WANT THESE! http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gaerne-balance-oiled-boots

[​IMG]
  5. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    I wear Gaerne G-Adventures. They are fantastic and waterproof, and comfortable enough that I've worn them all day at the office before with no problem. That said, for harder off-road stuff, they don't offer anywhere near the protection of an MX boot or something similar.
  6. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    i wear alpinestars mx boots most of the time. i prefer the protection over walking comfort. when i ride 2 up, i wear simple cheap waterproof tcx touring boots.
  7. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    I know I'll be checking out the Gaerne's that Orangecicle posted a pic of as soon as Im back home. With all the reviews I've read on them recently, they sound like exactly what I want.
  8. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I ride mostly off road with my 950 so I run full mx gear most of the time (mx helmet, off road boots, pressure suit, neck brace, etc). So I wear 95% of the time my TCX Pro 2 boots. I prefer extra protection over not enough. :)

that being said, I have been looking at some other boots recently, mainly wanting something more waterproof but without a compromise for protection. IMHO in order to have a good comfortable boot that also has great protection, you really need to have some sort of exoskeleton built into the boot. I've had alpine star tech 8 and tech 10 boots, and while both have great support, once they are "broken in' and are comfortable, you have given up a lot of the support for your ankles IMHO. I really only consider the TCX, Gaerne, and Sidi boots to have a high level of protection that have the flexible hinge system to keep things protected but comfortable. I still use these as my go-to boot for most off road riding. But I am looking at something very close but maybe dropping down one level in protection, but adding some additional features like waterproofness and maybe comfort in walking?

i have been taking a serious look at the TCX Desert Goretex boot. I don't know how long they have been out, and finding a local dealer for them is difficult, but having had three pairs of TCX boots over the years, I've been very very satisfied with the construction, fit and durability of the boots.

here's a photo of the Desert, might be worth a look:

[​IMG]

Goretex, great protection
  9. 556baller

556baller Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Orangecicle that's a great quote and i've always tried to live (ride) like that, but... These bikes will humble you quick and I like my ankles, haha. Those Gaerne Balance Oiled look great, I think that is going to end up being my touring boot. I love the trials style, it's almost a vintage throwback.

Zander, the SG-10's are sick but are you able to walk around all day in those? Have you done a multiple day ride with them?

I'm actually thinking about a step down from those with the Forma Terrain TX, I need MX boots (since I now own a YZ) and those look like (more so with the SG-10) like a boot you can walk around in.

There is really a ton of good products out there, but also a ton of crap. I'm really happy to hear the responses!
  11. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    These bikes? Naaaah. :lol3

[​IMG]
  12. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The best compromise I found for real protection in a comfortable, waterproof boot is the Sidi Adventure. Not cheap....
  13. ADVill

ADVill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off road: AlpinestarsTech 6
    On road: right now just 'boots'. Kinda lace up semi wintry, mid-high merrill hiking boots. Need something a little higher.
  14. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumbs up! :thumbup
  15. DUCATIJAY

DUCATIJAY Best Rider Ever

Oddometer:
    +1 on the alpinestar scout. great boot. took some time to break-in but now its a perfect fit. lots of protection and lightweight.
  16. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaenre balanced oil. As pictured above. Waterproof. Awesome on road or off. Comfortable. I use the. As my dirt boots. 10 x more comfortable then my Tech 7s. As good or better as my SMX Alpinestars.

Wish they weren't brown but if color is my only complaint, that's not bad. Combined with my Klim gear I stay 100% dry.
  17. cotrailrdr

cotrailrdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second the Sidi Adventure!
  18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Sidi Discovery's, less coverage, Euro footbed (which fits me perfect), ok price. I can hike in these. I take these on long trips, along with light sandals for my only shoes.

I'd like to check out the Sidi Adv boots, but they are the American footbed and more dollars.

Where can you try on M/C boots in the northwest? No one stocks them. If you order them, you've bought them.
  19. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars Tech8 KTM boots here.. saved my ankle more than I could count. I prefer more protection over the comfort.. as the saying goes.. even the less comfortable protective wear is more comfortable than the most comfortable wheelchair.. so that would be my atitude..
  20. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    typically n the 950 I wear the gearne balance oiled, if im headed into a real offroad day, ill put on my SIDI crossfires.