High Tech Fuse Block

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, Sep 19, 2012.

1. yosso

yosso We gotta go now. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any news?
  2. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    New board built up. I need to write the code for the analog inputs next.
  3. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I’ve been out of town on business for a couple weeks. I got back home Monday and was finally able to program the new board yesterday. I always like to start slow with my testing because with the current this device can push a fire is always a possibility if something is not right. The new high efficiency power supply is working well (otherwise we’d be dead in the water). I was also able to successfully test the high capacity short circuit without damage to the output devices. Furthermore, the new higher measurable current limit and new output devices are working great too. The analog inputs work perfectly as well and are currently able to completely replace the digital inputs I was using before. They also will allow much more complex features I have not yet implemented but can imagine. Things like knobs for dimming lights and controlling loads with temperature or light sensors among many other cool ideas.

So far, this new board has worked exactly according to plan. I am stoked! So stoked in fact that I just purchased a new thermal imaging camera yesterday to start observing the thermal characteristics of the Motobrain as well. Worst case scenario, the thermal imaging camera is going to provide us with some awesome photos!

The next step is to create all the new analog functions and update the iOS software to support those functions. Once I am happy with that, I’ll redesign the boards one more time adding 4 more analog inputs and completely removing the digital input circuitry which is officially deprecated now. I’ll take that opportunity to reconsider the physical layout as well. I am considering a waterproof plug for all the low current IO. It should make the product quite a bit better looking.

[​IMG]
  4. Dominic49

Dominic49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that is a sexy looking connector and even sexier updates in regards to analog.
  5. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm droolin' here. At that point (IIUC 8 analog inputs), this could replace about every circuit I've ever installed on any bike, in one lump.

And no need to hook it up to a windows box to set it up. :thumb
  6. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    <div style="float: right">[​IMG]</div>
    I've completed most of the firmware for the analog inputs. They work great. All the digital input functions remain and more can be implemented. The new analog input functions are as follows.
    • Standard Analog Input
      • User selects 1 or more outputs
      • User sets a low voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input below that level
      • User sets a high voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input above that level
      • User sets a PWM duty cycle for an input between the two thresholds
    • Linear Potentiometer
      • User sets a low voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input below that level
      • User sets a high voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input above that level
      • The PWM duty cycle for the selected outputs scale linearly between the low PWM value and high PWM value with respect to the low and high voltage threshold
    • Logarithmic Potentiometer
      • The PWM duty cycle for the selected outputs scale logarithmicly between the low PWM value and high PWM value with respect to the low and high voltage threshold
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/azNCtaN1URE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    Say I have grip heaters, but the throttle side runs hotter. Can I set 2 outputs to run together on a pot but offset with voltage output?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  8. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seriously… :huh
  9. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    The aluminum bar sucks the heat out on the left while the plastic throttle tube acts like an insulator on the right.
    OR you want to run the driving light facing on coming traffic at a lower setting than the ditch side light off the same pot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  10. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want oncoming traffic to see me.

Why spend $250+ on a fancy do everything fuse block when you can put an inline potentiometer on the feed wire to each side, adjust it once and be done??

Honestly, I'm impressed by how well the crowd input has been received. This device already has more features than 95% of it's users will ever utilize and CC presses on.

CC - don't put so much into it that you price yourself out of the market.

Looking forward to seeing a production unit.
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You would need to use two inputs and outputs for that to work. One pot could be connected to both inputs though.
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    No single problem you might have will likely be economically solved with Motobrain. Motobrain solves SO MANY problems that I think a lot of people will save money with it when all the little bits and bobs of a custom electronics solution are added together.

13. yosso

Oddometer:
    Piece it all together and spend more or get the Motobrain and spend less with a (hopefully) more robust solution than the pieced together solution. :D

<iframe width='500' height='300' frameborder='0' src='https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmtLDnpAr87PdEYtWS1jVkR3MmgtTW1tVEdmOXc4d1E&single=true&gid=4&range=A2%3AC7&output=html&widget=true'></iframe>
  14. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep what I said in context - the person I sent that to was referring to independently controlling his heated grips.
  15. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep what I said in context - the guy wanted to control his heated grips independently which can be done for about $6.

But if you want to get into a shit slinging contest, I could go with a fuseblock ($84 per your example) and an Arduino (~$15) for less than $100. Actually, add a 3 axis controller (~$8) to my list so I can turn off my blinkers automatically when I come out of a turn and to add a motion sensing alarm to my bike.

Of course I'll wait for a production MB - looking forward to it.
  16. yosso

Oddometer:
    Merely pointing out what I had researched for my solution, which would be off the shelf solution, not a hacked together solution (albeit a cool solution using an Arduino).

Not trying to throw rocks or sling fecal matter. :-)

Have a great day.
  17. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...labor?? ... cut 2 wires, solder pots, heat shrink, adjust pots - done.

I'm putting an Arduino on a custom 78' R100/7 that I'm building - be happy to show it to you when I'm finished. I was waiting on the MB and still may go MB if the production run hits the streets in the next few months.

Anyway - I'm done - back to our regularly scheduled program.

Keep us posted CC - nice work.
  18. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Will do. Things are going perfectly. Next job is updating the iOS software for iOS7 and the new features. My new thermal camera is coming tomorrow which should tell us if there are any hidden problems we cannot see on the boards. Next, it will be time to do some serious testing both on the road and in the lab while the next new form factor prototypes get built up. Then, the long hard process of building a market for this starts. Unless I can make these things by the 1000 they will make little sense to build.
  19. yosso

Oddometer:
    Did the Pace podcast guys ever get back with you regarding a demo unit?
  20. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. If they did, I missed it.