Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    HAHA This is the chunk of land that will soon be our new house! :thumb I just had to ride over and get the TransAlp in the shot. Even rode over the lot for good measure! :lol3

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA (and looking for another TA)
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

2. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I'm picking up my "new" 1989 Honda TransAlp today. Original owner, 4010 miles (honestly), and near perfect. Was riden over the past few years to just keep things lubed and fresh. This will go along side my current 1989 TA with 35K on the clock.

Why two? Well, the "new" TA is going to serve as my commuter and traveling bike (you know, a bike that's not trail beaten on weekends). The TA I've owned for awhile will be going on a diet and getting a minor facelift. Just a couple things to keep her street legal and the rest is ALL MOTOR! :lol3

Oh, and the other reason for two... THESE BIKES ARE THE SHIT! :thumb Well, for me anyway. :nod

I'll keep you TA buds posted on my project. I'll also post some photos of what could be the cleanest example of a US spec. TA! :thumb Today is going to be a very good day! :nod I even get to ride her 3.5 hours just to get her home. :rofl

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  3. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mod have you seen any fork upgrades? I think someone on yahoo list did it , I know forks XR600-650 are a low effort upgrade. I have 2 sets of xr forks one w/ triples, the triples look to be a straight bolt on, same with brake swap.

natch you'd either need to lower the front or raise the rear.

I have thought of some USD forks but lock to lock clearance would be tight and more effort. :1drink
  4. transalper

transalper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new mount! That sounds like my TA when I picked it up in 1996. I can't wait to see how the 'ole TA transforms into a rat bike. :thumb
  5. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I am truly a lucky man. I have purchased my second TA! Original owner, 3900 miles (honestly), and very near perfect (he who looks for perfection is missing the point). :thumb

I'm now broke! :cry So, I don't think I'll be doing much modifying to the 1st TransAlp for awhile. I think I'll be dumping fluids and checking stuff over on the 2nd for a bit. :nod

I purchased her about 3-4 hours away. It was like... well, like it was meant to be mine! :nod As if... a person was selected in 1989 to purchase the bike for me until I F'n got a clue and came for her! :lol3

The whole ride home (including traffic in Seattle and Tacoma... Ugh!... 5 hours!!!) was in the rain. A good test for the "new" TA. Well, she was very well behaved. :evil Cruising at 70-80 mph for hours at a time during some very heavy rainfall... no problem! :thumb

I'll be thinking about those fork mods. for the 1st TA and about adding some side bags and Corbin to the 2nd. Fact is... I've pretty much used all my cash so things like that will have to be put on hold for a bit. Kind of nice really as this is RIDE season and I'd rather do that anytime! :nod So, for TA number two... I'll change the oil and coolant... maybe adjust the valves... probably adjust the chain... and then ride the summer away! I'll probably come up with some better ideas with a clearer head because of it. :evil

Here they are... TWIN TWINS!

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

6. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    congrats--one for mild mannerd comuting and one for tearing up fire roads. I added engine ice and it actually kept the temp gague down longer riding around the city.The next mod is a Remus exhaust as it was the only thing, aside from stock ,i could find.
  7. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    3-4 hrs north ?, damn you must of bought that it my back yard so to speak, good on ya, be prepared for the "why do you need two...." questions from those that do not understand. good on ya, enjoy.

XR forks are reasonable used, you can use the same disc, (going from rumour and looking it at, i have not done the swap), know anyone who has used a longer r shock? 1-2" would be ideal for me.

since your buying a new house, pad some $$ in the financing to get a nitrous kit, yeah !!! :1drink
  8. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thank you! The bike was in Lake Stevens. The seller was really down about selling it, but he knows it's gone to a really good home. I really don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I mean, with the current choices of bikes out... the only thing that even interests me is that DL650. Even that isn't enough to make me sell either of my TAs. Now if Honda brings back the TA into the USA... well, maybe... just maybe. :nod

I've been explaining already the question of "why two?" Even my boss, a BWM GSPD rider, asked. Gee wiz, you'd think he'd get it! :lol3 Oh well, he's only got a "seasonal" insurance policy on his bike to ride during the summer so who cares what he thinks! :rofl

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  9. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez, no one has mentioned stainless steel brake lines yet??? I am planning on putting one of these on my front brake, is the improvement as significant as people say?

Also, I am prepping my Transalp for a really, really long trip and need to upgrade the rear shock to carry two people + luggage. I am thinking of a custom shock from Works Performance, but am open to suggestions.

A set of aluminum panniers will be installed also, from either Happy Trails, or possible Jesse (if they decide to make a model for the Transalp). I will post some pix when I get the stuff installed.
    I just got my Transalp a couple months ago, and it's a blast!!!
  10. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Hey, congrats on the "new" TA! :thumb

I really like the beefy racks made by Happy Trails. They are a universal rack style so you can add just about any box/bag you could imagine. They do sell a complete kit with AL boxes and the rack for like $600. I think I will just buy the rack setup for $250 and use something else (like Pelican boxes or Givi).

I've never really talked with anyone about the SS brake lines stuff. Here's one thing I've noticed about them off-roading Land Rovers. They don't stretch and they still can break... but, it sometimes happens at the nipple or in the caliper! SHIT! :eek1 That's not cool! I'd rather split a rubber line than have that happen. If you're not using the bike off-road I really wouldn't worry about it. I have heard that, in general, those SS brake lines improve the braking. :nod

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  11. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will let you know about the stainless steel brake line improvements, I plan on installing some in the next month or two.

And yes, the Happy Trails rack looks pretty beefy, I may go with the full system, but may also investigate other aluminum box options as well. I can't go too wide with the boxes as the muffler sticks out of the right side. Happy Trails has boxes which should keep the distance even from the centerline of the bike to the outside of the panniers. This involves using different widths of boxes on each side.

Anyone upgraded the rear shock on their Transalp?
  12. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    I have put an Ohlins on mine a couple months ago, big improvement however my stocker was quite flogged, I havent rode it on too knarly of dirt , need to upgrade the tires.

I am kicking around selling the ohlins as I may go to a slightly longer shock. i have some XR650 forks to hang off the front, they will need to be shortened to match the rear, it would be a same to pass up the chance of 1-2 more inches of travel. :1drink
  13. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Ohlins shock... is it as good as they say? :deal

I was thinking about doing some sus. upgrades this winter. I just don't know if they're actually worth the extra bucks over say one of those "White" brand shocks. Hmm... if you sold yours... what might you want for it? :scratch

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  14. transalper

transalper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you dropped the rear suspension to see if a longer shock would fit? If so, what do you think is the max shock length for the TA?

According to this http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/dirtbikes.pdf, the TA shock is 14.69 long and the 88-94 XR600R shock is 15.00. It would be sweet if the XR shock would fit. Is there a remote reservoir on the XR shock?
  15. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins works well, my stocker was completely sacked out so I cant tell an accurate compro. I only have the XR forks ( 2 sets,) not a XR shock, I am looking at some other ohlins & WP that I have for out back. seems I have 5 sets of forks in the garage, I must have some kind of woody for 'em, USD ohlins, showa, 2 XR's, set of marzocchi, worse habits to have I guess.

If I can get one of the others to fit, the stock ohlins will go on the block. Modrover I will be riding it near you this summer ( 2x monthly trips to oregon coast for business) so if you want to try it to see how it rides, no worries; :1drink
  16. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Do email me if passing thru. I'd be cool to see another TA with some trick stuff on it!

Hey, on the subject of rear shocks...

I was messing around with my rear shock adjuster nuts (Ooo La La :lol3 ) and now totally lost my reference point! I adjusted to get rid of some sag and then re-adjusted it to add a little more back... then adjusted again... and again... Ugh! :huh Now, I've lost my point of reference!

That said, how did you set up that rear coil spring? I set mine so that when I sit on it it sags 1 3/4" with my full weight. I think it might be on the stiff side as when the TA is resting on it's side stand it only has like 1/8 - 1/4" of up travel remaining when I pull up on the bike.

I plan to buy the Happy Trails rear rack system (and bolt Pelican boxes) so I'm thinking if it's on the firm side now... it will be needed when I add the extra weight.

Any thoughts on setting up that rear shock correctly would be appreciated. I've gotten different ideas about this and I don't have a work shop manual yet to look it up. :thumb

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  17. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Hey Mate... just wanted to BUMP this to keep it fresh. Any ideas on setting up that rear shock? I'm still not sure of my settings and would really like your opinion on the proper way to set up the free load and rider weight load.

Anyone else who's done the TA rear shock adjustment can pipe in too! :evil

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  18. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    sorry for Slow to post, I have been out of town on business. I do not know much about setting up suspension on a street bike, ( dirt is 4" of sag....) for the Ohlins I cranked up the dampening, made a big difference, still need to putz with it.
    Mines far from trick, it was on the path to becoming a slapper, I am bringing it back to life....
  19. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Hey, good enough. I'll ride mine around a bit and see how I like it. I think with the extra weight I plan to add... I leave it a bit on the stiff side for now.

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  20. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    Modrover, the guy on the yahoo TA board who put XR650 forks on, do you know if he shortened the new forks or left them the stock height and went longer in the shock?