Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. zontar

zontar lawnhater

Oddometer:

I own both. the sherpa is my daughter's and she never parks it. I've done all day gravel rides on it very comfortably. I was looking for another one when I got a good deal on the KLX250S. I love it too. Also spent full days riding gravel on it. Both are very capable, tractable machines. The KLX has nicer suspension, though mine is lowered and I run it pretty soft as I am short and light, so for me it's probably not as necessary. the KLX has more punch, but then it is 9 years newer and a much lower mile bike. both jump up to highway speed without issues. honestly, I'd buy whichever one you can get a deal on. I agree the sherpa seat is more tolerable, but frankly I like the badass styling on my bike. with the new fuel injected CRF250L coming out, the carbed bikes should become cheaper soon. for what you want to do and your experience, I think you'd be happy with either. Oh, and I ride year round and they're both cold blooded with stock jetting. Great mileage (70mpg) but you have to let the little bastards warm up in the wintertime....
  2. zenduddhist

zenduddhist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

2009 Sherpa: I too have a hard time with cold start. Already added the 130 main jet and 20 pilot jet. What I found is that if I loosen the screw that allows the float bowl to drain, and leave it open until I get a nice flow coming for about 5 seconds, then shut the drain screw, it will start easier. Sometimes, that is on the only way to get it to start. Sounds like I am not getting enough fuel after it sits awhile? Maybe too much?

Also, probably related, I took the fuel tank off the bike and I can't get the fuel to completely stop coming out of the bottom of the petcock. I have tried it in both the "on" position and the "reserve" position. Obviously, when I put it in "prime" position, I get a lot of gas coming out, but when I switch to "on" or "reserve" it still drips.

Conclusions anyone?

Thanks!

Chris
  3. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Regarding the leaky petcock, sounds like the vacuum diaphragm on the back isn't fully sealing. The diaphragm could be torn or the o-ring that seals it could be worn. I'd bet on the o-ring; should be able to fund a replacement in an assortment pack.
  4. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the cold start, it sounds like you just need to get some fresh gasoline into the float bowl. I got into the habit of putting the petcock into prime, and leaning the bike over until the gas came out of the overflow hose from the carb. I do that on my "newer" dirt bikes too, to prime them before starting.

As for the petcock, sounds like a leaky o-ring. Would be a good opportunity to do the Yamaha petcock conversion and lose the vacuum diaphragm/hose.
  5. buickid

buickid A little bit of everything.

Oddometer:

Hmm. Did you adjust the screw in the carb when you did the jets? If you're not letting the bike sit for a while, it shouldn't need any priming. If it sits for more than several days, you might flip the petcock to "prime" for ~10 seconds or so, then try to start the bike. Don't forget to flip it back to "on" (down) once running. Maybe try a different brand of gas for your next tank as well? Might be getting some suspect gas and the water is separating in the float bowl.
  6. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    Found my sherpa will not crank at 15*f last night ....:lol3 Im going to have to remember that if I take a over night ride in cool weather . Im wondering if switching to synthetic oil would help like it does with my diesels
  7. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to run synthetic diesel oil in my Sherpa. Rotella 5W-40. :deal:lol3
  8. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    This is true, we finally got it going and here are a few pics of the process.

[​IMG]
    See the duck basket, came with the sale! :evil

[​IMG]
    Bugs in the carb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So with a new piston, chain, sprockets, tires and used gas tank, carb, rebuilt forks among many many other pieces and trial and error we did get it going to only find the clutch pack slips and it's sloooow as hell :lol3

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bQt9xLORGmY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  9. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's an air-cooled 250. It'll never be a speed demon. But don't be afraid to rev the engine out. It'll take the abuse.

The clutch is easy to fix. Order friction plates and springs.
  10. mario33

mario33 Howling around...

Oddometer:
    Guys, fellow Sherpa user, ADV inmate, JohnDowns crashed his bike in Colombia while unloading the bike from the boat ashore :cry

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076&page=90

Pls, advise on getting replacement front forks/hub - is there a possible replacement ? how to get his steed going again ? Pls help.
  11. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:

Came here to post the same thing. Hope he gets it fixed
  12. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I am currently in Capurgana, Colombia. The Sherpa is a tank. But loses when a Kuna cargo boat slams against the front forks when the front wheel slips off and drops down between the dock and the ship.

Yikes!!!!!

I am on a slow intrernet connection and don't have time to find what front forks will interchange with the Sherpa 36mm forks, so any ideas of what has worked for others would be appreciated.

My Sherpa has made it to Panama and back two years ago and now is in South America with 32,000 trouble free miles.

Well okay, trouble free until yesterday. Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
    John Downs
  13. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

warp speed!
  14. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    For those that have owned both the KLR 650 and the Sherpa, how do the seats compare. I have a 2006 KLR that has been a very reliable and comfortable bike, especially the seat. I'm looking at a Sherpa to add as a small DS bike that's easier to pick up in the woods than the KLR. I was thinking of a WR250 until I sat on it. I already have a board in a towel seat bike, and don't want another. The Sherpa seat feels pretty good just sitting on the bike, but it's kind of hard to tell how it will be after 4-5 hours.
  15. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Padded bicycle shorts, provided extra support for glutieus maximus, form-fitting comfort that weight less than any saddle.
  16. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We picked up a Sherpa yesterday. If the stock seat doesn't suit, we'll try a walmart (the brand is Stearn's, I believe) ATV seat pad first; if that won't do we'll likely go with Seat Concepts. I've used them for two other bikes and for the money, I don't think they can be beat.

Sarah

http://seatconcepts.com/
  17. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Few dual sports come with comfy seats, but my wife's Sherpa seat is much more comfortable than the stock WRR seat, and better than the DR650 I had before it.

I'd hate to make bike buying decisions based on the OEM seat though. An aftermarket seat or an upholstery shop can cure most factory 2x4 seats. The Seat Concepts seat on my WRR cost ~$200 professionally installed.
  18. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    It's more a width of the seat issue. I should have mentioned that. I've found that no matter who makes the aftermarket seat, none add any width to them. I like the wide KLR seat. I don't like the narrow WR seat.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, they do. This is DR650:

[​IMG]

And an upholstery shop can add / carve foam to get even more width.
  20. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Do they add to the seat pan, or is it just foam. I think I need to talk to seat concepts. Thanks.