Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

Like teaveltoad said; nice solution. That's just one of the things I love about folk on this forum - rather than moan about an issue, the vast majority just go ahead and figure out a way to negate it. :clap

Obviously the rear Safari tanks significantly change the layout of the bike and a standard fit (where the fasteners do not contact with the bodywork) for the Overlander 30 could become less likely. That said, I reckon it could well be possible to do away with the carabiners / additional straps etc you have there and raise the bags up some, so that the top fasteners sit clear of the plastics. Might also be able to do something with the lower fastener by wrapping the daisy chain around the frame behind the panel in front of where it's currently attached.

If you want to PM me over more detailed photos, I'd be happy to check em over and see if I can make any solid suggestions. But no worries, if you've been through the options and believe you have the best custom set-up available.

Cheers,

Michael
  2. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    De nada, bro!

Always happy to give back to this amazing community of brilliant, adventurous crack-pots! :freaky

Glad you like the gear. Drop me a line when you're ready to pull the trigger on the Hydro-3 (no trails were harmed in the production or sale of this pack! :lol3).

Have a good 'un!

Cheers,

Michael
  3. boxerkuh

boxerkuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, a very limited Airhead budget. Looking for a used but still serviceable US 20 to use as a tailbag. A US 10 could also work and a US 5 would be a bonus. Do you have anything used flying around? Would love to take it for your hands reasonably.... BTW working on killing the R25 Backpack and can't do it... but I will keep trying. :D
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    My reaction as well when I opened my package. Kriega is serious stuff.
  5. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do it, you won't be sorry!
  6. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rule #1

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider!

Cheers
  7. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've landed back in Thailand with bike and Kriega bits and starting to get everything sorted. Since I'm short I've adjusted the R20 pack shoulder straps to differing positions suited up in my armor to determine the best fit.

When adjusting the shoulder strap to a spot that has the three dots on the shoulder strap centered in the plastic buckle I end up with an extra loop of strap material that I cannot get the harness to "suck up" (for lack of a better word) and it just hangs in the breeze.

I have looked at the fitting guide on the Kriega website and have yanked, pulled, pushed and slammed the pack against the straps both from the bottom of the traditional pack adjusters and above the Kriega shoulder strap length adjusters in an attempt to get the harness to take up the slack all to no avail.

[​IMG]

This slack is on both left and right shoulder straps. When adjusted with one or two dots centered in the buckle I had no issues with extra slack. Any insight?
  8. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe you need to pull the main straps out of the bag some. If you open up the pocket where the bladder is, you will see the extra length of the straps in there.

I have mine sitting beside me which is adjusted to the 3 dots spot, so it is possible :lol3
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    received the bladder for my R20 backpack and promptly ripped open the package and shoved it into the backpack. Fits great! Now I'm wondering what the clip is for on the inside. I thought for sure it was to hold the bladder up, but it looks like that is what the velcro is for.

Just curious, and thanks for the sticker:clap

Oh, and FYI, this order still doesn't show under the "order status" link on your site. Looks like a glitch in the matrix.

Best
  10. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough no straps visible from the inside of my R15 pack/bladder compartment. Got it all figured out anyway and being a midget adjusted the straps as tight as they would go with only one dot.

Now off to try the kit in the field with the Overlander 30, R15, R3 and Cube pocket going for a couple day ride in 30 minutes.
  11. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

Long story short, 3 dots is the XL setting. You want to readjust to 1 dot, pushing the harness back into the pack body as you shorten.

As you have it there, you'd do the opposite and yank on the harness to pull the upper parts out of their housing in the pack body and remove the slack in the webbing.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Michael
  12. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey boxerkuh,

I might just have a couple of the previous version of the US-20 kicking around, which I can make available for first dibs in the ADV Donations thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181

Lemme know if that works, so I can set it up and tip y'all off.

Cheers,

Michael
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Only just saw this... Glad you got it figured out.

FYI the 'loose' ends of the harness slip into the main pack compartment, but behind the internal back panel, so they don't get in the way.

Have a good 'un! :ricky
  14. JCANRUN

JCANRUN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Michael,
    I'm considering the R15 backpack but I have a few questions. Is there an pocket on the outside that I can put my wallet, etc. in? Can you post a picture of this pocket and if it's there, how big is it? Also, can you post a picture of the pack with the center buckle unhooked and straps pulled to the side so I can see the padding on the inner side of the back (the part that goes against the riders back)? I want to see the padding/inner side of the pack that sits on the riders back.
    Thanks,
    Joel
  15. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to have a chance at one of these,

16. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    So I can finally weigh in with my opinion on the Overlander 30 set-up. It is freaking awesome! No joke, they carry more stuff securely than other systems I've tried over the years. At 1st I was a bit concerned it may flap a bit because of the 3 point mounting system but that is no longer a concern at all. These bags held on for some of the most fun trails in the San Jauns...held on better than I did in fact. A rocky climb on La Garita Stock Trail found me on my backside with 2 hairline cracked ribs but the bags never budged. The 30's plus an older US10 (with updated alloy hooks) made for a great lightweight pairing that worked like a charm. Michael, I can't thank you enough for the awesome deal and you can trust I'll keep adding to my Kriega arsenal as long as you guys keep making gear we can trust.

[​IMG]
  17. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Great photo! :clap
  18. boxerkuh

boxerkuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Michael: I am in. Old model, used model, count me in!!!
  19. dLuna

dLuna n00b

Oddometer:
    First of all a big thanks to Kriega for answering all our questions. I've read through much of this thread, but definitely not all.

I have a question which I don't know if it's been answered: how comfortable is the Kriega R30 to carry off the motorcycle, just walking around?

I need a new backpack and will primarily use it without the motorcycle, but obviously also with the bike. Would the Kriega R30 (or potentially R35) be a good choice or should I find myself something else?
  20. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a fairly avid backpacker, and I also own an R30 and an R35. I would say if your primary use is off the bike, I'd look elsewhere. A backpack designed for backpacking has a sturdy hip belt designed to place the majority of the weight on your hips. Motorcycle-specific backpacks are not designed that way (for good reason). I have used both of my Kriega packs for some light hiking and travel and they work fine. But if I was looking for a pack primarily for use off the bike, I'd run over to your local outdoor store and get a real backpacking backpack.