Looking to buy a used BMW F650GS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by lqgsrider, Jun 15, 2013.

1. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to buy a used F650GS BMW. Price range is $4000 to $5K any years you would suggest are better than others and any years models to avoid? I plan to ride 75% street and 25% dirt/fire roads
  2. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have a 02 dakar and cant find anything wrong with it. runs great at 36,000 miles.
  3. bktizzle

bktizzle n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market now and looking for the same information. Is the difference between the later model years with twin spark plugs worth it? What other changes were there besides paint and graphics?
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an '03 650Gs with over 36000 miles on it. I made a mistake and sold it. I now have another '03 650GS. I have not had problems with either bike.
  5. jodyz121

jodyz121 Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer:
    I've had an F650ST ('97, I believe), a '99 Funduro, an '02 F650GS and I just got a used '05 Dakar. I've never had any mechanical or performance problems with any of them.

Tip: The Dakar has aftermarket progressive front springs and different sprockets, and the improvement in the suspension and off-road performance is substantial. Still great on the pavement, too.
  6. bktizzle

bktizzle n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess it comes down to how much I want to spend. Is it typical for them to go for $1000 more than NADA book value? I'm in the Denver area if that makes a difference.
  7. Ham

Ham Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2001 Dakar with 8,000 miles. C Bailey windshield, engine guards, saddle bags(a bit bruised), nearly new knobbies, tail rack, lithium iron battery (1lb vs 10 lb.), new Renazco seat (very nice), and rox risers.

I purchased a Stelvio so I think I might let the Dakar go. I need 6k as I want to get a new CRF250L to kick around on. I highly doubt there are any nicer out there than mine.

These are great bikes, my wife and I have rode two up all day no problem. No mechanical issues at all. Gets an easy 70 mpg through the mountains at 70 mph. Plenty of power.
  8. Ham

Ham Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The reason the mileage is so low is that I purchased it just before my kids hit high school sports then college...finally got my life back:)
  9. CaptnSlo

CaptnSlo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard that these bikes are priced more in accordance with local supply rather than the NADA value. And pricing also factors in the year, mileage, and accessories. You may want to check out F650.com which is the mother lode of F650GS single information. The people over there may have more info on pricing in your region and the FAQs will show you all the differences between the various years and models and then some. Good luck in your search!
  10. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an 05 F650GS with 34,000 miles. Nary a problem and it has led a hard life. My only suggestion is to get a Dakar if you can find one. The 21" front tire makes a difference.

Dont be afraid of something with a few bruises. These things can take it.
  11. bktizzle

bktizzle n00b

Oddometer:
    I've owned a few street bikes in my day but have never even hopped on a dirt bike. I want to do more exploring of the great trails out here in Colorado so I want a bike that can handle some off-road, but it seems like the capabilities of the Dakar would be way more than I need. I would like to spend 10% of the time on trails but even that might be a stretch at first. If there's really no big advantage to the 2005+ models, it's probably best to not go overboard and see if this adventure bug really catches on for me.
  12. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW caused a bit of confusion with their bike names. The thumper F650GS also came in a Dakar version. The only difference being the suspension and wheels. The Dakar has a 21". The regular GS has a 19.