Hit a deer today, was very lucky!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BHW, May 16, 2014.

1. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    No faceplant involved. But I live on a 45mph, two lane rural road. It's a curvy road frequented by a lot of riders. And we have a LOT of deer around here! And in the warmer months they move around a lot during the day.

I was about 1 mile from the house when I see something moving to my left. I see it's running at an angle, towards the road, but almost running alongside me for a second, then turns right! I get on the brakes, but keep it pointed straight. I took no left or right evasive action. I briefly heard tire squeal before the impact. He was crossing from my left to right, and I clipped his hindquarter. His rear end went flying forwards, and he "helicoptered" off towards the shoulder of the road. I glance over and see it lying there, but starting to get back up. I pull into the next driveway, at a school, and survey the damage. I assumed my carbon fiber front fender was done, at the least. But it looks like I just got it with my front tire, and nothing else. No hair, no blood, no cracks, etc. The only skidmark was about 6' long and in the road!

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today also?
  2. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should! Put me in for $1 !
    Glad nothing major happened and you are ok.
    :freaky
  3. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were you at least able to bag up the deer? Coming up on lunch over here, this is how I can tell I'm getting hungry, by asking questions like this!
  4. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't have a tag with me! It looked like he got up and walked away. I'll probably see him again, with a limp. We had one around here a couple of years ago with a badly busted up back leg. I saw her limp around here for two years. She walked poorly, with her back leg dangling. But could run if spooked. I rode back by there about an hour later and he wasn't anywhere to be seen. He probably just got bruised up. better him than me!

I know this isn't technically a faceplant, just a collision.
  5. everready

everready Retired!!!

Oddometer:
    What about the skid mark in your shorts?? :rofl

Seriously though, you were very lucky.
    khager likes this.
  6. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Dude,
    you are very fortunate. My last encounter with a deer involved broken bones, and a helicopter ride, and pain.

Go buy a lottery ticket.
  7. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Don't tell Aprilla or the will put it in their next add as a an option:
    Will survive deer strikes if in the "Animal Mode"!:lol3
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  8. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    :shoot+1 ^^^
    My lil brother hit a deer going like hell at sundown with the sun in his eyes and never saw it. Probably going about 80-85 mph. Cut the deer clean in half, and skinned the rear half inside out to the hooves. I came down the road behind him but didn't see him hit the deer over the hill. when I topped the hill I almost ran him over and didn't know what was him and what was deer. He suffered a scull fracture all the way around his head and both eardrums ruptured. Deer shit all over his face including his teeth. He lost his sense of taste and smell, and partial paralyzed his face. He passed away five years after from M.O.S. (multiple organ shutdown) I miss him dearly, and don't mind killing every deer I see now. Oh and he was no little guy at 6'4" and 275 lbs. To add salt to the wound he passed away Thanksgiving day which I no longer celebrate for this reason, this year will be 20 years.
    Chuck
  9. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Must have been a powerful thing to go through!!! Please don't die with that anger:cry
  10. NickW1

NickW1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy that lotto ticket! You are very lucky indeed and I'm happy to read of a deer encounter that turned out without an EMT response. Around here deer are the number one hazzard. From October too the 7th of January I do my best to lower the deer population. When the Rut is on and/or the good O' Boys are running deer hounds I don't touch my bike its suicide, its gotten that bad.
  11. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be honest, the day I hit that deer, I had just left the house. I continued on, and went for my ride that day. But it's weighed on my mind since then. I haven't ridden since then. And honestly, I've been quite busy. But yesterday and today, I had time to sneak out for a short ride, and didn't. I hope it's not nerves.....
  12. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    You used up your luck for that day.

Glad you're OK - I hit a deer last year. It is no fun at all (as you know).

I hate them. Hoofed bloody forest rats, that's all they are. :bluduh

Nerves definitely got to me after the deer hit. But I'm getting over it - get back out and ride when you can.
  13. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took a 60 mile "lunch break" today. So all seems well again!
  14. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :thumb
  15. av8npa

av8npa n00b

Oddometer:
    Glad you (and the bike) are ok! I've seen a lot of deer about lately. Stay safe...
  16. DesertTortoise

DesertTortoise Freedom Fighter

Oddometer:

Get back on the horse, just to the store or something. Won't get easier with more time.
  17. ADK46

ADK46 Loon

Oddometer:
    I just took up motorcycling last month. I live in the Adirondack Park, so I figured my biggest risk are deer. Not to be dismissed, of course, but not so dangerous as busy intersections, texters, drunks, etc.

Today, with only 400 miles under two wheels, a deer popped out of the woods between me and an oncoming dump truck. Had I left the house a half-second earlier, there would have been a bump, a change in my direction (to say the least), and then possibly another, bigger bump.

I'm a little spooked. I can understand a close call every 10-20K miles, with just me and a deer. But a close encounter this soon, with a dump truck in the mix on a sparsely traveled highway - it's got me thinking.

Got anything reassuring you can say?
  18. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Only that you've probably got 10 to 10k hassle free miles to come :p

Here's something to...well, it probably won't help :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15334624

This (it was published in Autumn) is the peak period for car accidents caused by deer and drivers in the UK are being warned to be more aware. So why are there so many such incidents at this time of year?
    Deer could be responsible for as many as 74,000 car accidents in the UK each year, according to new statistics. Figures have been on the rise for the last 10 years and look likely to continue rising, say deer experts.

And glad you, and the OP, were/are OK :) Probably best to be aware of the high risk times & areas, and either avoid them or go slower. Deers are right bastards.
  19. ADK46

ADK46 Loon

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Cat Weasel.

This was a single, small deer, perhaps even dumber than most. I think it's the time of year when doe's throw their yearlings out of the house, so to speak. The description fits.

I was riding along, pleased with myself for being confident about going at regular cruising speed, 65 mph. Afterwards, it seemed that the speed limit (55 mph) would be wiser. I think I'll make it a practice to slow even further when I see an oncoming vehicle - it's the one-two punch that has really got me spooked.
  20. DesertTortoise

DesertTortoise Freedom Fighter

Oddometer:

Deer are most active at dusk and dawn. They often move in groups so when you see one, even if it is not a threat to you, slow down and look for the others. Scan for deer as you ride, watching the sides of the road. Slow down in areas where deer are active, especially at dusk / dawn.
    Just as you would in a car, determine in advance that you will hit the deer rather than causing a worse accident by running off the road or into a dump truck. keep the bike upright and break hard. Planning this in advance and practicing emergency breaking from higher speeds in a safe area will build muscle memory.

Honestly you already did good by not putting it in the ditch when you saw the deer / dump truck. Saw a new rider drive off the road, down a big ditch after getting scared. She was OK because she had her gear on... (and somehow missed the trees)